-   -   9.10 and beyond (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/276085-9-10-beyond.html)

Vincent 11-06-2009 03:59 PM

9.10 and beyond

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Christophe,

While I'd like to investigate Xfburn over Brasero (but this takes time to test the apps, make sure they work, etc, and my CD drive kind of died), I don't think wicd can replace networkmanager, for a very simple reason: it's GUI is really, really not intuitive and easy to use. I haven't tested MPlayer for quite some time, but I remember I clearly preferred Totem's GUI over the alternatives' ones, because it was just simple and doing it's job for most basic uses. I may one day recommend Parole over Totem, when I think it came to feature parity, but I don't think MPlayer or VLC would be any better for end users.

*Also, IIRC Mplayer includes restricted codecs, which means Xubuntu can't ship it due to legal issues. VLC uses the Qt toolkit since version one, which means it would be more suitable for e.g. Kubuntu, but not Xubuntu. And I also believe it had the same issue as Mplayer's.

--
Vincent

Christopher David Desjardins 11-08-2009 04:42 PM

9.10 and beyond

I also was curious about the choice of file-roller instead of squeeze or
xarchiver? I wonder if Midori is more mature by then if it might be
included as well? Midori, in my testing, has been super fast. Otherwise,
if Google has actually released a stable version of Google Chrome by
10.04, it might be nice to see Firefox replaced by Chrome on the CD.
Again Chrome is much faster than Firefox. I think that the less reliance
on GNOME apps the better, primarily because it creates a fast, smaller OS.

Vincent 11-11-2009 09:46 PM

9.10 and beyond

I can't recall exactly what led to using file-roller but there's been length discussions about that which you can probably find in the archives. We're also open to alternative browsers, but it needs someone to take a look at that (like Steve did the previous release for e.g. media players). And yes, at the present time Midori really isn't stable enough, I suppose we at least want Christian to say it's stable :) I'd say that Chrome definitely should be looked at, although it's system integration isn't that good yet. And indeed, Chrome, too, has not yet had a stable release for Linux.

As a side note, I'd like to emphasize that we should not look at whether something is a GNOME app, but to whether feature-wise, has good usability and, of course, performs well. This should also lead to a fast, smaller OS without discarding perfectly fine applications just because they fall under the umbrella of a particular organisation.

That said, I do think we should check who the developers are, to avoid problems like the one with GDM, whose developers didn't really take non-GNOME environments into account with the new version.

Best,

Vincent wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz@gmail.com

> <mailto:sidnioulz@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * Hi Christophe,

> * * While I'd like to investigate Xfburn over Brasero (but this takes

> * * time to test the apps, make sure they work, etc, and my CD drive

> * * kind of died), I don't think wicd can replace networkmanager, for

> * * a very simple reason: it's GUI is really, really not intuitive and

> * * easy to use. I haven't tested MPlayer for quite some time, but I

> * * remember I clearly preferred Totem's GUI over the alternatives'

> * * ones, because it was just simple and doing it's job for most basic

> * * uses. I may one day recommend Parole over Totem, when I think it

> * * came to feature parity, but I don't think MPlayer or VLC would be

> * * any better for end users.

> Also, IIRC Mplayer includes restricted codecs, which means Xubuntu

> can't ship it due to legal issues. VLC uses the Qt toolkit since

> version one, which means it would be more suitable for e.g. Kubuntu,

> but not Xubuntu. And I also believe it had the same issue as Mplayer's.

> --

> Vincent

Vincent

Steve Dodier 11-11-2009 10:03 PM

9.10 and beyond

I must say I agree with you, Vincent.

The criterias I take into account, for considering an application, are:

- feature parity with the current one
- ease of use / ergonomy compared to the current one
- ressource usage

- room on the CD
- freeness of the hard + recommended dependencies

- likeliness that upstream makes sure the app is cross-desktop (that's where GNOME apps eventually fail, unfortunately).
- likeliness to be able to work with upstream (tools used / openness of upstream / quality of relationship with upstream)

The criteria that eliminates GNOME apps de facto is rather low, so if there is no decent alternative, then we surely should use a GNOME application, but I don't consider them a reliable upstream for a non GNOME distribution, though.

Regarding web browsers, I'm using chromium and firefox almost daily, and Chromium is not ready yet. It's in a very good shape, it's developed fast (of course, it is funded, contrarily to Midori, so it helps), but there still are a few things that could be better, imo (although an actual comparison between Midori, FF and Chromium would take a VERY VERY VERY VERY long time...).

Vincent wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz@gmail.com

> <mailto:sidnioulz@gmail.com>> wrote:

> * * Hi Christophe,

> * * While I'd like to investigate Xfburn over Brasero (but this takes

> * * time to test the apps, make sure they work, etc, and my CD drive

> * * kind of died), I don't think wicd can replace networkmanager, for

> * * a very simple reason: it's GUI is really, really not intuitive and

> * * easy to use. I haven't tested MPlayer for quite some time, but I

> * * remember I clearly preferred Totem's GUI over the alternatives'

> * * ones, because it was just simple and doing it's job for most basic

> * * uses. I may one day recommend Parole over Totem, when I think it

> * * came to feature parity, but I don't think MPlayer or VLC would be

> * * any better for end users.

> Also, IIRC Mplayer includes restricted codecs, which means Xubuntu

> can't ship it due to legal issues. VLC uses the Qt toolkit since

> version one, which means it would be more suitable for e.g. Kubuntu,

> but not Xubuntu. And I also believe it had the same issue as Mplayer's.

> --

> Vincent

Vincent

Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges
Free Software Developer