Old 11-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Christopher Desjardins

Default 9.10 and beyond

Hi,
I just wanted to also send my congratulations on 9.10. Not only is it a nice looking desktop but it definitely appears that the team is making strides in the right direction.
Additionally, I have some questions about some of the default software. Brasero, why wasn't xfburn used instead? My experiences with it are that it's pretty fully functional. Also, why NetworkManager over wicd? Is it because NetworkManager has more options? Finally, why Totem instead of MPlayer?

Anyways, as I said I think that 9.10 is a terrific release and it certainly is the fullest desktop experience that I've encountered out of any XFCE based distro.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Steve Dodier

Hi Christophe,

While I'd like to investigate Xfburn over Brasero (but this takes time to test the apps, make sure they work, etc, and my CD drive kind of died), I don't think wicd can replace networkmanager, for a very simple reason: it's GUI is really, really not intuitive and easy to use. I haven't tested MPlayer for quite some time, but I remember I clearly preferred Totem's GUI over the alternatives' ones, because it was just simple and doing it's job for most basic uses. I may one day recommend Parole over Totem, when I think it came to feature parity, but I don't think MPlayer or VLC would be any better for end users.

--
Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges