Old 03-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Jim Campbell

Default Xubuntu 9.04 Beta Release Announcement

Hi All,

The Xubuntu 9.04 Beta release is almost here!* As part of the release, we need to prepare the Beta release announcement, and I was hoping that people could note particular improvements.* Seeing as this is the first set of release announcements coming specifically from Xubuntu, I figure we can include any key updates from 8.10.* Here are some highlights that I can think of:

* complete migration to Xfce 4.6
*- neat feature 1
*- neat feature 2
*- neat feature 300
* inclusion of Gigolo, an Xfce utility to assist with mounting of network shares
* fast-user switcher applet

* ________

* Availability of Ext4 filesystems (w/ Ext3 by default)
* Thunderbird now includes the Lightning Calendar extension by default
* Well integrated artwork, giving Xubuntu a polished, cohesive new look

I know there is a lot more updates.* What would you like to be included in the release announcement?* Thanks, all.

Jim

Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 PM
Jim Campbell

Hi All,

I know you're all very busy, but if you could lend some suggestions to this, I would appreciate it.* I am not asking for you to write out full-fledged sentences here, just a brief note or phrase referencing anything that you would like included in the beta release announcement.* Thanks very much for your consideration.

Jim

Old 03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Jannis Pohlmann

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:48:34 -0500
Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I know you're all very busy, but if you could lend some suggestions
> to this, I would appreciate it. I am not asking for you to write out
> full-fledged sentences here, just a brief note or phrase referencing
> anything that you would like included in the beta release
> announcement. Thanks very much for your consideration.
>
> Jim
>

> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Jim Campbell
> <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > The Xubuntu 9.04 Beta release is almost here! As part of the
> > release, we need to prepare the Beta release announcement, and I
> > was hoping that people could note particular improvements. Seeing
> > as this is the first set of release announcements coming
> > specifically from Xubuntu, I figure we can include any key updates
> > from 8.10. Here are some highlights that I can think of:
> >
> > * complete migration to Xfce 4.6
> > - neat feature 1
> > - neat feature 2
> > - neat feature 300

You could pick up a few features from http://www.xfce.org/about/tour
and maybe even point to that URL for more information.

- Jannis

Old 03-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 00:29:34 -0500
Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The Xubuntu 9.04 Beta release is almost here! As part of the
> release, we need to prepare the Beta release announcement, and I was
> hoping that people could note particular improvements. Seeing as
> this is the first set of release announcements coming specifically
> from Xubuntu, I figure we can include any key updates from 8.10.
> Here are some highlights that I can think of:
>
> * complete migration to Xfce 4.6
> - neat feature 1
> - neat feature 2
> - neat feature 300
> * inclusion of Gigolo, an Xfce utility to assist with mounting of
> network shares
> * fast-user switcher applet
> * ________
> * Availability of Ext4 filesystems (w/ Ext3 by default)
> * Thunderbird now includes the Lightning Calendar extension by default
> * Well integrated artwork, giving Xubuntu a polished, cohesive new
> look
>
> I know there is a lot more updates. What would you like to be
> included in the release announcement? Thanks, all.
>
> Jim

Let's not forget AbiWord 4.6.6, with many bugfixes incorporated.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Jim Campbell

Hi All,

This is in regards to the Xubuntu Beta Release Announcement in place on the Xubuntu wiki ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/JauntyJackalope/BetaAnnouncement )

Steve, I am copying you on this in case you are able to include a link to the Xubuntu Beta Announcement in your overall Ubuntu 9.04 Beta Announcement.* If it is not part of your practice to do this, we can publicize the announcement via other means.

The announcement is still in draft form.* Xubuntu team, please feel free to have a look at it.* I will be fleshing it out some, but help is welcome.* Mention of particular features, screenshots of your standard-install desktops, and announcement revisions are welcome.

Charlie or anyone else - are there any known, noteworthy bugs that you would like to be noted in the "Known Bugs" section?* If so, feel free to reply here with the bug numbers, or add detail of the bugs to the wiki itself.

Thanks very much,

Jim

Linux Registered User Number 425914 * * * * *[http://counter.li.org/]

Never let anyone steal your DREAM. * * * * * [http://keepingdreams.com]