Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default Jaunty Artwork - almost done?!

Hello everybody,

we're really close to getting everything ready. Here is again a quick
recap of things.

1. Yay!

- GDM theme. It now even has XDMCP-login button thus fixing bug #71412.
Thanks Charlie and everybody for testing and giving feedback.
- Wallpaper (also in widescreen).
- Icon theme "Gnome Brave". Needs reviewing!
(- xfwm theme.)
- Countdown banners!

Thanks Lionel for the hard work done uploading things and doing the
package management.

2. Boo!

- GTK theme. Shall we stick with MurrineStormCloud?
- Usplash.

3. Mmh?

We created a JS feature carousel for Ubuntu (see
http://emonk.fi/open/ubuntu/Feature%20Carousel/). Do we want for Xubuntu
as well? What should that include? Remember we can for example do this
for the last three days.

Some ideas for this: "Xfce 4.6", "All new artwork", "Cute mice!", "With
cheese", "Brought to you by the Xubuntu Team" and if we're doing this
for some last days: "Experience the Jaunty Jackalope", "Supported until
blahblah" ...

Throw in some ideas.

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 03-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Jim Campbell

Hi all,

I forwarded a GTK theme suggestion to Pasi, but it would need to be
tested similar to how we tested the shiki-colors / dark murrina themes
for use on a more low-powered system. Pasi may not even like the
theme, but it is included in the repos already, and I find it pretty
complimentary to our current color scheme. The theme package in the
repos is just called "murrine-themes", and it incorporates a number of
themes that wouldn't match our color scheme, but a couple that might
work. If it's too late to include this, or you don't like the themes
in there, I guess we can stick with Murrina Storm Cloud.

Here is a link to a screenshot of my laptop with the Murrina Gilouche
theme installed.
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6951/screenshot1gpz.png All other
theme elements are the defaults for 9.04.

As for the usplash theme, both kubuntu and ubuntu have that cool,
thin-line thing going on now. We had a slightly thinner line in a
previous release of Xubuntu, but from what I can recall, our throbber
breaks somehow when we try to make it thinner. Would there be any way
to maybe copy the details / source lines from the Kubuntu package?
I'm sure we could keep our own color scheme for the throbber line.
Thoughts?

Nice work on the Yay! items, Pasi. Hopefully we can get the "boo"
items squared away. If not, we are still in pretty good shape for a
nice-looking desktop.

Jim

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Vincent

I forwarded a GTK theme suggestion to Pasi, but it would need to be

tested similar to how we tested the shiki-colors / dark murrina themes

for use on a more low-powered system. *Pasi may not even like the

theme, but it is included in the repos already, and I find it pretty

complimentary to our current color scheme. *The theme package in the

repos is just called "murrine-themes", and it incorporates a number of

themes that wouldn't match our color scheme, but a couple that might

work. *If it's too late to include this, or you don't like the themes

in there, I guess we can stick with Murrina Storm Cloud.

Here is a link to a screenshot of my laptop with the Murrina Gilouche

theme installed.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6951/screenshot1gpz.png *All other

theme elements are the defaults for 9.04.

I never really liked Gilouche, but it does seem to complement the rest very well, looks better than StormCloud does nowadays and more usable than tangoesque. So +1 from me
*

As for the usplash theme, both kubuntu and ubuntu have that cool,

thin-line thing going on now. *We had a slightly thinner line in a

previous release of Xubuntu, but from what I can recall, our throbber

breaks somehow when we try to make it thinner. *Would there be any way

to maybe copy the details / source lines from the Kubuntu package?

I'm sure we could keep our own color scheme for the throbber line.

Thoughts?

I believe Michael said he knew how to do Usplash, so...
*

Nice work on the Yay! items, Pasi. * *Hopefully we can get the "boo"

items squared away. *If not, we are still in pretty good shape for a

nice-looking desktop.

Jim

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:

> Hello everybody,

> we're really close to getting everything ready. Here is again a quick

> recap of things.

> 1. Yay!

> - GDM theme. It now even has XDMCP-login button thus fixing bug #71412.

> Thanks Charlie and everybody for testing and giving feedback.

> - Wallpaper (also in widescreen).

> - Icon theme "Gnome Brave". Needs reviewing!

> (- xfwm theme.)

> - Countdown banners!

> Thanks Lionel for the hard work done uploading things and doing the

> package management.

> 2. Boo!

> - GTK theme. Shall we stick with MurrineStormCloud?

> - Usplash.

> 3. Mmh?

> We created a JS feature carousel for Ubuntu (see

> http://emonk.fi/open/ubuntu/Feature%20Carousel/). Do we want for Xubuntu

> as well? What should that include? Remember we can for example do this

> for the last three days.

> Some ideas for this: "Xfce 4.6", "All new artwork", "Cute mice!", "With

> cheese", "Brought to you by the Xubuntu Team" and if we're doing this

> for some last days: "Experience the Jaunty Jackalope", "Supported until

> blahblah" ...

We could do that, perhaps we could base that on the release notes which will probably be done way too late again otherwise ;-)
*

--
Vincent

Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Vincent wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com
> <mailto:jwcampbell@ubuntu.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I forwarded a GTK theme suggestion to Pasi, but it would need to be
> tested similar to how we tested the shiki-colors / dark murrina themes
> for use on a more low-powered system. Pasi may not even like the
> theme, but it is included in the repos already, and I find it pretty
> complimentary to our current color scheme. The theme package in the
> repos is just called "murrine-themes", and it incorporates a number of
> themes that wouldn't match our color scheme, but a couple that might
> work. If it's too late to include this, or you don't like the themes
> in there, I guess we can stick with Murrina Storm Cloud.
>
> Here is a link to a screenshot of my laptop with the Murrina Gilouche
> theme installed.
> http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6951/screenshot1gpz.png All other
> theme elements are the defaults for 9.04.
>

> I never really liked Gilouche, but it does seem to complement the rest
> very well, looks better than StormCloud does nowadays and more usable
> than tangoesque. So +1 from me
Looks like this murrine-themes package is maintained by the Murrine team
(https://launchpad.net/murrine-themes) and supposedly they support 0.9,
which have had quite a lot changes. This makes it really appealing to
use these themes as they would be on the edge - on the other hand they
might break easily.

I have to see the themes in that packages, but I really don't have any
objection for a theme you others like. At least the Gilouche theme
didn't look bad in the screenshot.

> As for the usplash theme, both kubuntu and ubuntu have that cool,
> thin-line thing going on now. We had a slightly thinner line in a
> previous release of Xubuntu, but from what I can recall, our throbber
> breaks somehow when we try to make it thinner. Would there be any way
> to maybe copy the details / source lines from the Kubuntu package?
> I'm sure we could keep our own color scheme for the throbber line.
> Thoughts?
>

> I believe Michael said he knew how to do Usplash, so...
I think there was some discussion about Usplash and breaking the system.
Cody, do I remember you saying that we can't risk including a new
Usplash at this point of release cycle?

> Nice work on the Yay! items, Pasi. Hopefully we can get the "boo"
> items squared away. If not, we are still in pretty good shape for a
> nice-looking desktop.
>
> Jim
>

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi
> <mailtopen@knome.fi>> wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > we're really close to getting everything ready. Here is again a
> quick
> > recap of things.
> >
> > 1. Yay!
> >
> > - GDM theme. It now even has XDMCP-login button thus fixing bug
> #71412.
> > Thanks Charlie and everybody for testing and giving feedback.
> > - Wallpaper (also in widescreen).
> > - Icon theme "Gnome Brave". Needs reviewing!
> > (- xfwm theme.)
> > - Countdown banners!

Jaunty is released 23rd April, so we need to get the countdown banners
online 24th March. Cody prefers rounded corners - I will do a rounded
version soon. Is there any else improvements you would like to see?

> > Thanks Lionel for the hard work done uploading things and doing the
> > package management.
> >
> > 2. Boo!
> >
> > - GTK theme. Shall we stick with MurrineStormCloud?
> > - Usplash.
> >
> > 3. Mmh?
> >
> > We created a JS feature carousel for Ubuntu (see
> > http://emonk.fi/open/ubuntu/Feature%20Carousel/). Do we want for
> Xubuntu
> > as well? What should that include? Remember we can for example
> do this
> > for the last three days.
> >
> > Some ideas for this: "Xfce 4.6", "All new artwork", "Cute
> mice!", "With
> > cheese", "Brought to you by the Xubuntu Team" and if we're doing
> this
> > for some last days: "Experience the Jaunty Jackalope",
> "Supported until
> > blahblah" ...
> >

> We could do that, perhaps we could base that on the release notes
> which will probably be done way too late again otherwise ;-)

Right. Sounds good to me.

> > Throw in some ideas.
>

> --
> Vincent
o/

Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 01:26:33 +0200
Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> we're really close to getting everything ready. Here is again a quick
> recap of things.
>
> 1. Yay!
>
> - GDM theme. It now even has XDMCP-login button thus fixing bug
> #71412. Thanks Charlie and everybody for testing and giving feedback.
> - Wallpaper (also in widescreen).
> - Icon theme "Gnome Brave". Needs reviewing!
> (- xfwm theme.)
> - Countdown banners!
>
> Thanks Lionel for the hard work done uploading things and doing the
> package management.
>
> 2. Boo!
>
> - GTK theme. Shall we stick with MurrineStormCloud?
> - Usplash.
>
> 3. Mmh?
>
> We created a JS feature carousel for Ubuntu (see
> http://emonk.fi/open/ubuntu/Feature%20Carousel/). Do we want for
> Xubuntu as well? What should that include? Remember we can for
> example do this for the last three days.
>
> Some ideas for this: "Xfce 4.6", "All new artwork", "Cute mice!",
> "With cheese", "Brought to you by the Xubuntu Team" and if we're
> doing this for some last days: "Experience the Jaunty Jackalope",
> "Supported until blahblah" ...
>
> Throw in some ideas.

Seems to be a (minor) issue with the MurrinaXubuntu theme.

Please see my two pastebin images at:
http://imagebin.org/42463
http://imagebin.org/42464

The blue line next to help is the Xfce-timer-plugin running. The other
shows it when it is not running.

As you see, the timer is the same color as the panel when not running,
making it quite hard to find.

--
Charlie Kravetz