Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Jaunty Artwork Update

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 01:23:39 +0200
Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:

> 1. GDM theme
>
> The GDM theme for Jaunty has been finished for now. Please test it so
> it can be included into xubuntu-artwork. Lionel, will you help me
> with this?
> > http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/GDM%20theme/
>
> 2. Icon theme
>
> We are going to use GNOME brave as the icon set. We need to include
> this (temporarily) in xubuntu-artwork. Lionel?
> > http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562
>

> 3. GTK+ theme
>
> It is a bit open whether we are able to ship a dark theme because the
> tight timespan until release. MurrinaStormCloud supposedly is the
> theme we are shipping if no miracles happen.
>
> A dark theme might be shipped as an update after Jaunty release.
>
> 4. xfwm theme
>
> Default Xfce 4.6 theme is used as is.
>
> 5. Wallpaper
>
> The wallpaper is ready to be included in xubuntu-artwork. I've
> exported normal and widescreen versions. Lionel has (been)
> volunteered to do this.
> > http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/Wallpaper
>
> 6. Usplash
>
> A new Usplash will be possibly shipped as an update after Jaunty
> release. I'm working on that with Michael.
>
> 7. Documentation
>
> I'm working with Jim to make the documentation look more Xubuntuish.
> Look at the Team Report page for completed items once they appear.
>
> 8. Thanks!
>
> You've been a great help. Keep on the good work!

Tested on my PII, 400MHz, 256MB ram. This gdm theme is good looking on
that old system. It is as fast/slow as the other themes. The icons on
top centered on the screen, a side effect of aligning them to the login
entry, perhaps.

The login is offset to the left of center and looks good. All the text
is very readable (thanks). The CAPS-LOCK notice is great! Also like the
way it tells me immediately I forgot the name on login. I no longer
have to hit enter or type a password when I forgot to type the name.

The icons on top brighten a bit when hovered over, but the light up
when selected is great! I know which one I hit, without wondering. The
pop-up boxes for language and session come up faster then standard
themes. It is almost instantaneous on the old machine.

The login timer for automatic timed logins is visible without straining
my eyes.

I also installed this on my work machine. Athlon 64, 2.2GHz, 3 GB ram.
It looks better on it, but I also have it connected to an LCD.

All in all, a very nice theme here. If there are no objections, let us
use it.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Vincent

The GDM theme for Jaunty has been finished for now. Please test it so it

can be included into xubuntu-artwork. Lionel, will you help me with this?

> http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/GDM%20theme/

2. Icon theme

We are going to use GNOME brave as the icon set. We need to include this

(temporarily) in xubuntu-artwork. Lionel?

> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562

3. GTK+ theme

It is a bit open whether we are able to ship a dark theme because the

tight timespan until release. MurrinaStormCloud supposedly is the theme

we are shipping if no miracles happen.

A dark theme might be shipped as an update after Jaunty release.

4. xfwm theme

Default Xfce 4.6 theme is used as is.

5. Wallpaper

The wallpaper is ready to be included in xubuntu-artwork. I've exported

normal and widescreen versions. Lionel has (been) volunteered to do this.

> http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/Wallpaper

6. Usplash

A new Usplash will be possibly shipped as an update after Jaunty

release. I'm working on that with Michael.

7. Documentation

I'm working with Jim to make the documentation look more Xubuntuish.

Look at the Team Report page for completed items once they appear.

8. Thanks!

You've been a great help. Keep on the good work!

--

Pasi Lallinaho

Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Web-designer, graphic artist

IRC: knome @ freenode

Thanks for all your hard work

I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...

Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a normal system update? I can very well imagine people not appreciating this. Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway so we then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some buzz with that ;-)

--
Vincent

Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Thanks for all your hard work

I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...

Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a normal system update? I can very well imagine people not appreciating this.

It won't happen
* Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway so we then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some buzz with that ;-)

--
Vincent

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer
Foundations Team
Custom Engineering Solutions Group
Canonical OEM Services
Phone: +1-781-850-2087

Cell: +1-506-471-8402
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Vincent wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi
> <mailtopen@knome.fi>> wrote:
>
> 1. GDM theme
>
> The GDM theme for Jaunty has been finished for now. Please test it
> so it
> can be included into xubuntu-artwork. Lionel, will you help me
> with this?
> > http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/GDM%20theme/
>
> 2. Icon theme
>
> We are going to use GNOME brave as the icon set. We need to
> include this
> (temporarily) in xubuntu-artwork. Lionel?
> >
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562
>

> 3. GTK+ theme
>
> It is a bit open whether we are able to ship a dark theme because the
> tight timespan until release. MurrinaStormCloud supposedly is the
> theme
> we are shipping if no miracles happen.
>
> A dark theme might be shipped as an update after Jaunty release.
>
> 4. xfwm theme
>
> Default Xfce 4.6 theme is used as is.
>
> 5. Wallpaper
>
> The wallpaper is ready to be included in xubuntu-artwork. I've
> exported
> normal and widescreen versions. Lionel has (been) volunteered to
> do this.
> > http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/Wallpaper
>
> 6. Usplash
>
> A new Usplash will be possibly shipped as an update after Jaunty
> release. I'm working on that with Michael.
>
> 7. Documentation
>
> I'm working with Jim to make the documentation look more Xubuntuish.
> Look at the Team Report page for completed items once they appear.
>
> 8. Thanks!
>
> You've been a great help. Keep on the good work!
>
> --
> Pasi Lallinaho
> Xubuntu Marketing Lead
> Web-designer, graphic artist
> IRC: knome @ freenode
>

> Thanks for all your hard work
>
> I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just
> displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...
>
> Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the
> release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a
> normal system update? I can very well imagine people not appreciating
> this. Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway
> so we then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some
> buzz with that ;-)
>
> --
> Vincent
Hi Vincent,

can you install xnest and test the GDM theme by running 'gdmflexiserver
-n' and see if it gives any warnings? Ping me at IRC if you need more
help

Shipping after release does not necessarily mean changing defaults, and
I definitely don't want to do this. It would however bring that last
touch to our consistent artwork theme for this release, and I personally
would love to see it.

Shipping with Karmic and polished would be great, but then we would not
have that much buzz as some of the stuff is old already. I have to admit
that doing a completely new artwork cycle can be quite a big amount of
work (maybe jmak can help us with Karmic cycle, however). But my artist
inside would like to do it anyway - and I have time for that in the
summer. Maybe this conversation is good having at UDS (we can have
people in by phone, for example) or after Jaunty release anyway.

Thanks for the feedback again.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Jelle de Jong

Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:

> Thanks for all your hard work
>
> I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just
> displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...
>
> Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the
> release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a
> normal system update? I can very well imagine people not
> appreciating this.
>

> It won't happen
>

> Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway so we
> then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some buzz
> with that ;-)
>
> --
> Vincent

I would also like to come with a request regarding the packaging of the
icons, gtk theme, gdm artwork, usplash etcetera. Can we please package
all these items separately and also upload theme to debian upstream. Then
create a virtual package special for this xubuntu release and have the
necessary other packages as dependencies. This way the artwork can also
be used by other distributions, especially for icons, gkt themes and
usplash this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jelle de Jong

Old 03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

Hi there,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 01:23:39AM +0200, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> 1. GDM theme
>
> The GDM theme for Jaunty has been finished for now. Please test it so it
> can be included into xubuntu-artwork. Lionel, will you help me with this?
> > http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/GDM%20theme/

Pushed in lp:~xubuntu-team/xubuntu-artwork/trunk (r5).

> 2. Icon theme
>
> We are going to use GNOME brave as the icon set. We need to include this
> (temporarily) in xubuntu-artwork. Lionel?
> > http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562

The whole gnome-brave directory is ~36M. Is that still okay to put it in
xubuntu-artwork, which will grow from ~10M to ~46M uncompressed
(probably from ~6M to ~13M compressed, which is better)?

(I'm still convinced it's not optimal, but as it has already been
decided, that's only to have the final ACK from Cody before
uploading.)

> 3. GTK+ theme
>
> It is a bit open whether we are able to ship a dark theme because the
> tight timespan until release. MurrinaStormCloud supposedly is the theme
> we are shipping if no miracles happen.
>
> A dark theme might be shipped as an update after Jaunty release.

Nothing to change in the packaging at the moment then (imvho, you
should try to do it for jaunty, or wait for karmic, but not release it
as an update for jaunty as people won't notice it...).

> 4. xfwm theme
>
> Default Xfce 4.6 theme is used as is.

Already enabled by default.

> 5. Wallpaper
>
> The wallpaper is ready to be included in xubuntu-artwork. I've exported
> normal and widescreen versions. Lionel has (been) volunteered to do this.
> > http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/9.04%20Jaunty/Wallpaper

Pushed in lp:~xubuntu-team/xubuntu-artwork/trunk (r6), and set by
default in lp:xubuntu-default-settings (r63).

> 6. Usplash
>
> A new Usplash will be possibly shipped as an update after Jaunty
> release. I'm working on that with Michael.

(See my remark for the dark gtk+ theme

> 7. Documentation
>
> I'm working with Jim to make the documentation look more Xubuntuish.
> Look at the Team Report page for completed items once they appear.
>
> 8. Thanks!

No, thank you! :P

> You've been a great help. Keep on the good work!
>
> --
> Pasi Lallinaho
> Xubuntu Marketing Lead
> Web-designer, graphic artist
> IRC: knome @ freenode

Cheers,
Lionel

--
Lionel Le Folgoc - https://launchpad.net/~mrpouit
EEBA 555E 0CDE 92BB 3AF4 4AB3 45A0 357B 5179 5910

Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Lionel Le Folgoc

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:20:23PM +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
> Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:

> > Thanks for all your hard work
> >
> > I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just
> > displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...
> >
> > Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the
> > release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a
> > normal system update? I can very well imagine people not
> > appreciating this.
> >

> > It won't happen
> >

> > Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway so we
> > then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some buzz
> > with that ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Vincent
>
> I would also like to come with a request regarding the packaging of the
> icons, gtk theme, gdm artwork, usplash etcetera. Can we please package
> all these items separately [...]

This can probably be done for karmic. But please file a bug report
against xubuntu-artwork, otherwise it's going to be forgotten...

> [...] and also upload theme to debian upstream. Then
> create a virtual package special for this xubuntu release and have the
> necessary other packages as dependencies. This way the artwork can also
> be used by other distributions, especially for icons, gkt themes and
> usplash this would be very much appreciated.

I fail to see the point in uploading xubuntu-* to Debian for example:
this is really xubuntu-specific, and not really applicable to Debian‽

Indeed, icons and gtk+ themes should be packaged separately, in their
own package (gtk-engines-* and gnome-icon-theme-*), as they are not
xubuntu-specific at all.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jelle de Jong

Cheers,
Lionel

Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

> We are going to use GNOME brave as the icon set. We need to include this

> (temporarily) in xubuntu-artwork. Lionel?

> > http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562

The whole gnome-brave directory is ~36M. Is that still okay to put it in

xubuntu-artwork, which will grow from ~10M to ~46M uncompressed

(probably from ~6M to ~13M compressed, which is better)?

(I'm still convinced it's not optimal, but as it has already been

decided, that's only to have the final ACK from Cody before

uploading.)

If you'd prefer to put it in its own package, feel free to do so and approve your own FFe. If anyone gives you trouble, just let me know.

If you don't have time to create a new package this release, please stuff it in ubuntu-artwork for now and we'll fix it for karmic.

Cheers,

Old 03-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Jelle de Jong

Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 07:20:23PM +0100, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:

>>> Thanks for all your hard work
>>>
>>> I tried the GDM theme here on Intrepid but it didn't work (it just
>>> displayed a default theme), but that might be because it's Intrepid...
>>>
>>> Anyway, I had some concerns regarding shipping stuff after the
>>> release. Does that mean that people's themes will be changed with a
>>> normal system update? I can very well imagine people not
>>> appreciating this.
>>>

>>> It won't happen
>>>

>>> Also, perhaps it would be better to ship it with Karmic anyway so we
>>> then have a really polished updated desktop and generate some buzz
>>> with that ;-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Vincent
>> I would also like to come with a request regarding the packaging of the
>> icons, gtk theme, gdm artwork, usplash etcetera. Can we please package
>> all these items separately [...]
>
> This can probably be done for karmic. But please file a bug report
> against xubuntu-artwork, otherwise it's going to be forgotten...
>
>> [...] and also upload theme to debian upstream. Then
>> create a virtual package special for this xubuntu release and have the
>> necessary other packages as dependencies. This way the artwork can also
>> be used by other distributions, especially for icons, gkt themes and
>> usplash this would be very much appreciated.
>
> I fail to see the point in uploading xubuntu-* to Debian for example:
> this is really xubuntu-specific, and not really applicable to Debian‽
>
> Indeed, icons and gtk+ themes should be packaged separately, in their
> own package (gtk-engines-* and gnome-icon-theme-*), as they are not
> xubuntu-specific at all.

Done, see:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-artwork/+bug/344130

And I did not mean the xubuntu-* to be uploaded to debian upstream :-)
But i was revering to the individual artwork and then make a xubuntu-*
package that depends on them and keep this package in the ubuntu
repository, this way the individual artwork packages will be available in
other distributions.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Jelle

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Jannis Pohlmann

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:10:27 +0100
Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl> wrote:

> Lionel Le Folgoc wrote:

> >> I would also like to come with a request regarding the packaging
> >> of the icons, gtk theme, gdm artwork, usplash etcetera. Can we
> >> please package all these items separately [...]
> >
> > This can probably be done for karmic. But please file a bug report
> > against xubuntu-artwork, otherwise it's going to be forgotten...
> >
> >> [...] and also upload theme to debian upstream. Then
> >> create a virtual package special for this xubuntu release and have
> >> the necessary other packages as dependencies. This way the artwork
> >> can also be used by other distributions, especially for icons, gkt
> >> themes and usplash this would be very much appreciated.
> >
> > I fail to see the point in uploading xubuntu-* to Debian for
> > example: this is really xubuntu-specific, and not really applicable
> > to Debian‽
> >
> > Indeed, icons and gtk+ themes should be packaged separately, in
> > their own package (gtk-engines-* and gnome-icon-theme-*), as they
> > are not xubuntu-specific at all.
> >

> Done, see:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-artwork/+bug/344130
>
> And I did not mean the xubuntu-* to be uploaded to debian upstream :-)
> But i was revering to the individual artwork and then make a xubuntu-*
> package that depends on them and keep this package in the ubuntu
> repository, this way the individual artwork packages will be
> available in other distributions.

AFAIK, this is not possible for Jaunty anymore because we've passed the
deadline for new modules to be added. So unless I'm mistaken this has
to wait until after Jaunty.

- Jannis