Old 03-07-2009, 12:52 AM

Default How-to install without CD?

Dear Xubuntu

I would like instructions on how to install Xubuntu 8.10 from an iso
image that is on my hard drive.
Also, if it matters, which ISO image would I need to download....
Desktop CD or Alternate install CD... in order to accomplish this?

I was able to do this for Puppy Linux. Unzipped iso to C:, added grldr
and menu.lst to C:oot.images folder, modified boot.ini adding
C:GRLDR="Puppy Menu".
That made a "frugal install". From there you can do normal/full install
to another hard drive/partition.

That's what I'm looking to do with your Xubuntu. Puppy Linux was awful.

I'm running Windows 2000pro btw. 866PIII, 512ram.
I'd like to put Xubuntu on hda3 (I

Thank you
Deemarie
--

deemarie@fastmail.fm

love email again

Old 03-07-2009, 10:29 AM
George Brooke

On Saturday 07 March 2009 01:52:02 deemarie@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Dear Xubuntu
>
> I would like instructions on how to install Xubuntu 8.10 from an iso
> image that is on my hard drive.
> Also, if it matters, which ISO image would I need to download....
> Desktop CD or Alternate install CD... in order to accomplish this?
>
> I was able to do this for Puppy Linux. Unzipped iso to C:, added grldr
> and menu.lst to C:oot.images folder, modified boot.ini adding
> C:GRLDR="Puppy Menu".
> That made a "frugal install". From there you can do normal/full install
> to another hard drive/partition.
>
> That's what I'm looking to do with your Xubuntu. Puppy Linux was awful.
>
> I'm running Windows 2000pro btw. 866PIII, 512ram.
> I'd like to put Xubuntu on hda3 (I
>
> Thank you
> Deemarie
> --
>
> deemarie@fastmail.fm

Hi,
Take a look here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
However this is not the correct place to come for general xubuntu help, try
the forums ubuntuforums.org.

solar.george

Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Vincent

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 12:29 PM, George Brooke <solar.george@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Saturday 07 March 2009 01:52:02 deemarie@fastmail.fm wrote:

> Dear Xubuntu

> I would like instructions on how to install Xubuntu 8.10 from an iso

> image that is on my hard drive.

> Also, if it matters, *which *ISO image would I need to download....

> Desktop CD or Alternate install CD... in order to accomplish this?

> I was able to do this for Puppy Linux. Unzipped iso to C:, added grldr

> and menu.lst to C:oot.images folder, *modified boot.ini *adding

> C:GRLDR="Puppy Menu".

> That made a "frugal install". *From there you can do normal/full install

> to another hard drive/partition.

> That's what I'm looking to do with your Xubuntu. *Puppy Linux was awful.

> I'm running Windows 2000pro btw. *866PIII, 512ram.

> I'd like to put Xubuntu on hda3 (I

> Thank you

> Deemarie

> --

> * deemarie@fastmail.fm

Hi,

Take a look here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

However this is not the correct place to come for general xubuntu help, try

the forums ubuntuforums.org.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking for Wubi, see http://wubi-installer.org/ You need the Desktop CD for that.

Cheers,
--
Vincent

Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 PM

> Hi,
> Take a look here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation
> However this is not the correct place to come for general xubuntu help,
> try the forums ubuntuforums.org.

SORRY I won't do it again. I didn't see a Xubuntu forum. I assumed
ubuntu was not xubuntu. Diff names and all.
thanks

--

deemarie@fastmail.fm

Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Marko Oreskovic

deemarie@fastmail.fm wrote:
> Dear Xubuntu
>
> I would like instructions on how to install Xubuntu 8.10 from an iso
> image that is on my hard drive.
> Also, if it matters, which ISO image would I need to download....
> Desktop CD or Alternate install CD... in order to accomplish this?
>
> I was able to do this for Puppy Linux. Unzipped iso to C:, added grldr
> and menu.lst to C:oot.images folder, modified boot.ini adding
> C:GRLDR="Puppy Menu".
> That made a "frugal install". From there you can do normal/full install
> to another hard drive/partition.
>
> That's what I'm looking to do with your Xubuntu. Puppy Linux was awful.
>
> I'm running Windows 2000pro btw. 866PIII, 512ram.
> I'd like to put Xubuntu on hda3 (I
>
> Thank you
> Deemarie

You can install Xubuntu (or any other Ubuntu or some other Linux
distributions) by using USB flash drive (1GB or bigger)
with: unetbootin
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/
It can be used to make bootable USB drive out of .ISO image
and it works under Linux or windows for USB preparation.
It is fine GUI program, Just wait for data to be written on flash drive.

There is also universal unetbootin and customized for certain distributions.
It can also both do downloading of distribution files for making
bootable usb disk or use already downloaded .iso

Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Marko Oreskovic wrote:

> You can install Xubuntu (or any other Ubuntu or some other Linux
> distributions) by using USB flash drive (1GB or bigger)
> with: unetbootin
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/
> It can be used to make bootable USB drive out of .ISO image
> and it works under Linux or windows for USB preparation.
> It is fine GUI program, Just wait for data to be written on flash drive.
>
> There is also universal unetbootin and customized for certain distributions.
> It can also both do downloading of distribution files for making
> bootable usb disk or use already downloaded .iso

Hi, I have my doubts, that this will work:

===cite on===
I'm running Windows 2000pro btw. 866PIII, 512ram
===cite off===

This hardware will most likely not boot from usb, also there is a good
chance that it only has usb 1.1, which would be an endlessly long
torture, if it booted.

Eberhard

Old 03-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Eberhard Roloff

Marko Oreskovic wrote:
> deemarie@fastmail.fm wrote:
>> Dear Xubuntu
>>
>> I would like instructions on how to install Xubuntu 8.10 from an iso
>> image that is on my hard drive.
>> Also, if it matters, which ISO image would I need to download....
>> Desktop CD or Alternate install CD... in order to accomplish this?
>>
>> I was able to do this for Puppy Linux. Unzipped iso to C:, added grldr
>> and menu.lst to C:oot.images folder, modified boot.ini adding
>> C:GRLDR="Puppy Menu".
>> That made a "frugal install". From there you can do normal/full install
>> to another hard drive/partition.
>>
>> That's what I'm looking to do with your Xubuntu. Puppy Linux was awful.
>>
>> I'm running Windows 2000pro btw. 866PIII, 512ram.
>> I'd like to put Xubuntu on hda3 (I
>>
>> Thank you
>> Deemarie

Deemarie,

If usb-boot will not work for you, this could help you along.

Be warned: Puppy Linux is easier to boot from iso.

But as you said, Xubuntu will most probably much better care for your
everyday computer experience:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-ubuntukubuntuedubuntuxubuntu-without-cdrom-drive.html

kind regards
Eberhard

Old 03-08-2009, 11:45 PM
The Gamer's Federation

Wouldn't WUBI work? I've used it on several xp and vista machines. Made
installation quite easy. Just map a folder to i: name it ubunutu and
install there?