Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Default Jaunty Artwork

Jim Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi
> <mailtopen@knome.fi>> wrote:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> just a quick message/request for comments about artwork to Jaunty. We
> have been discussing the artwork for Jaunty in #xubuntu-devel
> lately, as
> many of you know.
>
> You can look at something ready at
> http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-artwork/.
>

> <statements of personal impressions and preferences>
> Pasi, these are beautiful. Thank you so much for putting them
> together. My personal preference is for GDM #2, but it is not a
> strong preference. I think any one of them would be great.
>
> The wallpaper is super-great, too. I like how the Xubuntu logo is
> so big on the page, but so nicely integrated.
>
> Have we settled on an icon, gtk, or xfwm theme yet? In regards to the
> GTK theme, Murrina Storm Cloud is nice looking, but it seems we have
> used it for the past 3 or 4 releases. It would be nice for a change
> if we can find a suitable replacement. As for xfwm4 themes, I like
> Xfce 4.6's default xfwm4 theme.
>
> Again, great work! =)
>
> Jim
> </statements of personal impressions and preferences>
Hi Jim and everybody,

here's some comments about GTK+, icon and xfwm themes.

GTK+ THEME

I've also talked about the GTK+ theme selection. On
http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-gtk/ you can see screenshots from
MurrinaStormCloud and Murrina-Tangoesque. I think *Cloud is nice
looking, but is a bit too contrasted. The contrast on *Tangoesque is
fine for me, but might be too uncontrasted for many. Something between
these would be perfect (that's only my opinion) - either of them is fine
for me otherwise.

Both the themes have the problem that the scrollbar is *way* too light
for the window borders. Maybe we can just adjust this color and the
color of the window borders to fit the background.

What comes about changing a theme, we might be a bit late on the release
cycle. I also don't have any experience on GTK+ themes, so maybe in Karmic?

Anyway, I suggest some action on this and totally want any feedback and
all of your opinions.

ICON THEME

I've suggested Gnome-brave (see
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562)
as the icon set (also referring to our discussion at UDS!), but there
hasn't been any further conversation on the subject.

I need your comments on this as well.

XFWM THEME

I'm using the "Default" in Xubuntu Jaunty and I'm totally satisfied
this. You are allowed to disagree. Please do tell any negative feelings
out loud, if you have some issues with this.

I repeat once more; please do express any concerns, visions, comments
and agreement noises!

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Vincent

> * * just a quick message/request for comments about artwork to Jaunty. We

> * * have been discussing the artwork for Jaunty in #xubuntu-devel

> * * lately, as

> * * many of you know.

> * * You can look at something ready at

> * * http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-artwork/.

> <statements of personal impressions and preferences>

> Pasi, these are beautiful. *Thank you so much for putting them

> together. *My personal preference is for GDM #2, but it is not a

> strong preference. *I think any one of them would be great.

> The wallpaper is super-great, too. * *I like how the Xubuntu logo is

> so big on the page, but so nicely integrated.

> Have we settled on an icon, gtk, or xfwm theme yet? *In regards to the

> GTK theme, Murrina Storm Cloud is nice looking, but it seems we have

> used it for the past 3 or 4 releases. *It would be nice for a change

> if we can find a suitable replacement. *As for xfwm4 themes, I like

> Xfce 4.6's default xfwm4 theme.

> Again, great work! *=)

> Jim

> </statements of personal impressions and preferences>

Hi Jim and everybody,

here's some comments about GTK+, icon and xfwm themes.

GTK+ THEME

I've also talked about the GTK+ theme selection. On

http://emonk.fi/open/xubuntu/jaunty-gtk/ you can see screenshots from

MurrinaStormCloud and Murrina-Tangoesque. I think *Cloud is nice

looking, but is a bit too contrasted. The contrast on *Tangoesque is

fine for me, but might be too uncontrasted for many. Something between

these would be perfect (that's only my opinion) - either of them is fine

for me otherwise.

Both the themes have the problem that the scrollbar is *way* too light

for the window borders. Maybe we can just adjust this color and the

color of the window borders to fit the background.

What comes about changing a theme, we might be a bit late on the release

cycle. I also don't have any experience on GTK+ themes, so maybe in Karmic?

Anyway, I suggest some action on this and totally want any feedback and

all of your opinions.

ICON THEME

I've suggested Gnome-brave (see

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/GNOME-colors?content=82562)

as the icon set (also referring to our discussion at UDS!), but there

hasn't been any further conversation on the subject.

I need your comments on this as well.

XFWM THEME

I'm using the "Default" in Xubuntu Jaunty and I'm totally satisfied

this. You are allowed to disagree. Please do tell any negative feelings

out loud, if you have some issues with this.

I repeat once more; please do express any concerns, visions, comments

and agreement noises!

I love the wallpaper and GDM theme (I would go for #2 as well). The Jaunty xfwm4 theme looked good too.

The GNOME-Colors was (IIRC) already decided to be the icon theme a long while ago, but was never packaged. Luckily, someone has now picked up packaging, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/261988

*
By the way, perhaps we should also look at refreshing the Usplash theme (and get rid of that odd reflection on the logo, which is the old logo anyway)? And perhaps even the logo on the LiveCD.

--

Pasi Lallinaho

Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Web-designer, graphic artist

IRC: knome @ freenode

Thanks,
--
Vincent

Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Vincent wrote:

> [...]
>
> XFWM THEME
>
> I'm using the "Default" in Xubuntu Jaunty and I'm totally satisfied
> this. You are allowed to disagree. Please do tell any negative
> feelings
> out loud, if you have some issues with this.
>
> I repeat once more; please do express any concerns, visions, comments
> and agreement noises!
>

> I love the wallpaper and GDM theme (I would go for #2 as well). The
> Jaunty xfwm4 theme looked good too.
>
> The GNOME-Colors was (IIRC) already decided to be the icon theme a
> long while ago, but was never packaged. Luckily, someone has now
> picked up packaging, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/261988
>
> By the way, perhaps we should also look at refreshing the Usplash
> theme (and get rid of that odd reflection on the logo, which is the
> old logo anyway)? And perhaps even the logo on the LiveCD.

Hi Vincent,

you're right about the Usplash theme. That totally need refreshing. Now
I only need somebody to push an image to the Usplash package, because I
have no clue on how to do that.

We're also updating the images in Yelp to be Xubuntu specific
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-doc/+bug/332687).

Thanks for the update on GNOME-Colors, I'll subscribe to the bug to see
what's going on (though it doesn't look as good as it might be).

I have to admit that I don't know what you are meaning by the LiveCD
logo, but yes, we definitely want to change that too (because it's most
possibly outdated anyway). I can get back to this once I can download
images somehow quickly (I'm *still* connecting through Bluetooth+phone).

Any other as good (and worse also :P) notes are still welcome.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Vincent