Old 02-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Default Problems with Xfce 4 panel desktop

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:00:15 -0800 (PST)
Bruno Diaz <b_d_r_i@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are migrating to Xubuntu with the computers of our marine biology
> center. During the last days we have some problems regarding the
> Xfce4 panel, maybe is a lack of knowledge (we are new with Xubuntu)
> but we don't know how to resolve this bug...
>
> The situation is that in two of our computers (with a time distance
> of some days) the Xfce panel has disappeared. From the Settings
> manager it is not possible launch the panel because the Panel button
> does not work!, we tried to restart the xfce4 from the terminal but
> reappears without some launchers and the Quit button does not work!
> We try to shut down the computer and only appears if we want to Exit
> the XFce panel. The only solutions was to create a new user with a
> new desktop.
>
> We were thinking if this "problem" is due to the presence of
> compositor on this computers.
>
> Many thanks for your help, *
> *
> Bruno Diaz Lopez
> Chief Researcher / Marine Zoologist
> Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
> V.Armando Diaz Nș4 07020 Golfo Aranci (SS) Italy
> www.thebdri.com
> info@thebdri.com*
> tel.+ 39 346 081 5414
> tel. + 0789 183 1197

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. To bring back the panels,
Press alt+f2 and run: xfce4-panel. If you need further help with this
issue, please see:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XubuntuPanels

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz
Xubuntu QA Leader

Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 PM
Vincent

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:00:15 -0800 (PST)

Bruno Diaz <b_d_r_i@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> we are migrating to Xubuntu with the computers of our marine biology

> center. During the last days we have some problems regarding the

> Xfce4 panel, maybe is a lack of knowledge (we are new with Xubuntu)

> but we don't know how to resolve this bug...

> The situation is that in two of our computers (with a time distance

> of some days) the Xfce panel has disappeared. From the Settings

> manager it is not possible launch the panel because the Panel button

> does not work!, we tried to restart the xfce4 from the terminal but

> reappears without some launchers and the Quit button does not work!

> We try to shut down the computer and only appears if we want to Exit

> the XFce panel. The only solutions was to create a new user with a

> new desktop.

> We were thinking if this "problem" is due to the presence of

> compositor on this computers.

> Many thanks for your help, *

> *

> Bruno Diaz Lopez

> Chief Researcher / Marine Zoologist

> Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI

> V.Armando Diaz Nș4 07020 Golfo Aranci (SS) Italy

> www.thebdri.com

> info@thebdri.com*

> tel.+ 39 346 081 5414

> tel. + 0789 183 1197

Sorry to hear you are having these issues. To bring back the panels,

Press alt+f2 and run: xfce4-panel. If you need further help with this

issue, please see:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XubuntuPanels

Good luck,
This is good advice, but in the future, also be sure to take note that questions like this (i.e. that don't involve development) should be directed at the xubuntu-users mailinglist: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Best,
--
Vincent