-   -   Testing new Xubuntu features (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/248265-testing-new-xubuntu-features.html)

Jim Campbell 02-18-2009 08:41 PM

Testing new Xubuntu features

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Jelle de Jong <jelledejong@powercraft.nl> wrote:

Hi Jim,

Will the new release contain the beta/alpha 4.6 releases of the xfce team?

Best regards,

Jelle

Hi Jelle,

Yes, Xfce 4.6rc1 is currently in the Jaunty repos and is currently included in the default Xubuntu installation image.*

It looks like the Xfce developers will be releasing 4.6 final within the next few days, so I'm sure we'll be getting that version fairly soon, too.

Jim

Charlie Kravetz 02-18-2009 09:49 PM

Testing new Xubuntu features

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:24:24 -0600
Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> With the Global Bug Jam coming up, I wanted to see if there were
> particular new features in Xubuntu that you wanted people to test out
> during the bug jam. Please let me know, and I'll add them to my Loco
> Team wiki so that people at the bug jam can know to test them.
>
> We can also blog a bit about these new features so that people can
> know to test them during the New Features testing day that is coming
> up on Monday ( http://blog.qa.ubuntu.com/node/31 ).
>
> Best,
>
> Jim

AbiWord 2.6.6 is in Jaunty. Also in PPA for intrepid. We need to check
the help out thoroughly, both the main help dialog, but also the
individual items help, like if you choose a menu item, it has a help
button. Does that help button work?

--
Charlie Kravetz

Jannis Pohlmann 02-18-2009 11:13 PM

Testing new Xubuntu features

Am Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:41:45 -0600
schrieb Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com>:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Jelle de Jong
> <jelledejong@powercraft.nl>wrote:
>

> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > Will the new release contain the beta/alpha 4.6 releases of the
> > xfce team?
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Jelle
> >

> Hi Jelle,
>
> Yes, Xfce 4.6rc1 is currently in the Jaunty repos and is currently
> included in the default Xubuntu installation image.
>
> It looks like the Xfce developers will be releasing 4.6 final within
> the next few days

You shouldn't have said that ... ;) Actually, we still have a lot of
work to do before we can do the release. The website needs a lot of
updates, we probably need a new user guide, we need to create the
tarballs and installers, we need to upload the API documentation and
finally prepare a decent release announcement. So don't hold your
breath.

- Jannis

Jelle de Jong 02-19-2009 08:29 AM

Jim Campbell wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Jelle de Jong
> <jelledejong@powercraft.nl <mailto:jelledejong@powercraft.nl>> wrote:
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> Will the new release contain the beta/alpha 4.6 releases of the xfce
> team?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jelle
>

> Hi Jelle,
>
> Yes, Xfce 4.6rc1 is currently in the Jaunty repos and is currently
> included in the default Xubuntu installation image.
>
> It looks like the Xfce developers will be releasing 4.6 final within the
> next few days, so I'm sure we'll be getting that version fairly soon, too.
>
> Jim

Thanks Jim,

Beside the fact that its an interesting strategy to use the 4.6
release for a full desktop release in the aspect of risk and quality
management. How does the Debian xfce team stand by the packaging of
the 4.6 release candidates?

For testing, I would like to see the following tested:

- the new xfconf settings, try changing all settings
- all features of the desktop panel
- all features of the window manager
- the artwork on multiple resolutions very low to very high
- stability of thunar

Thanks in advance,

Jelle

Jim Campbell 02-19-2009 12:29 PM

Testing new Xubuntu features

Beside the fact that its an interesting strategy to use the 4.6

release for a full desktop release in the aspect of risk and quality

management. How does the Debian xfce team stand by the packaging of

the 4.6 release candidates?

Well, we're still a ways off before release of Xubuntu 9.04.* With regards to Jannis' comments about timing (sorry about me jumping the gun and suggesting an imminent release of 4.6, Jannis), I'd still think that it would be safe to say that Xfce 4.6 final will be released in the next two months, before the release of Jaunty.* I would at least hope so.* :)

*

For testing, I would like to see the following tested:

- the new xfconf settings, try changing all settings

- all features of the desktop panel

- all features of the window manager

- the artwork on multiple resolutions very low to very high

- stability of thunar

Thanks in advance,

Jelle
Thanks for these suggestions, Jelle.* We'll be sure to test things out.* :)

Jim