Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM
"hpp3@lavabit.com"

Default CD Distribution

There used to be a blurb on the Xubuntu webpage that said Xubuntu doesn't
have the resources to distribute CD's through the mail. I always wished I
could do something about it, and with inspiration from a friend I think we
have an idea that can help...

During the Christmas season, I've noticed many department stores place what
is called a "Giving Tree" in front of their lobby which is decorated with
slips of paper inscribed with a number and a gift request. Apparently each
of these slips represent a less-fortunate-than-you child and their humble
plea. Shoppers may pick a slip off the tree that is within their budget,
purchase the requested gift and drop it off at the tree on their way out.

When a friend on a discussion forum offered to send me a CD of a
distribution he had tried and didn't like, we both got to thinking maybe
this would be a different way of distributing CD's to folks who don't have
high-speed internet connections or DVD burners or some other restriction on
their ability to acquire a copy of Xubuntu (or indeed any distro; Read
on...)

Here's how we envision it:
Just like a "Giving Tree", imagine a web page where folks could sign up to
receive a CD in the mail, or volunteer to mail one. Then, the generous
folks who can burn an extra CD-R or two and have the pocket change
sufficient for postage could volunteer to send it to someone on the request
list.

Here's some more details I'm thinking of:
-To prevent spamming, there should be some form of authentication (CAPTCHA,
email auth, whatever) and the requester's name should be taken off the list
(perhaps an email notification) when a donor pulls their name. If they
would like another CD (perhaps a different Distro), they can make a new,
seperate request.
-Make the list a searchable database so senders could find requesters close
to their geographical area.
-As this could easily be expanded beyond Xubuntu, perhaps searchable by
Distro as well.
-Requesters who have been waiting longer should be at the top of the list.

As with most ideas, be they good bad or ugly, they usually come from folks
who have no idea how to effectively implement them and I am no exception.
Sorry to report I don't have any spare server space nor do I posses the
necessary web and database coding skills, therefore I am calling on those
who do and are...

What do you folks think? Crazy? Stupid? Win?

-Eddy

Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Vincent

[...]

This system is in use by Fedora [1] and has been brought up here before (can't find that atm) but I believe Cody then suggested this be implemented for Xubuntu.org. Obviously, nothing much has become of that. Maybe someone reading this list is willing to implement this, but I'm not sure how much is allowed on that front (Cody? .

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia
Cheers,
--
Vincent

Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
"hpp3@lavabit.com"

>> What do you folks think? Crazy? Stupid? Win?
>>
>> -Eddy
>>

>This system is in use by Fedora [1] and has been brought up here before
>(can't find that atm) but I believe Cody then suggested this be implemented
>for Xubuntu.org. Obviously, nothing much has become of that. Maybe someone
>reading this list is willing to implement this, but I'm not sure how much
is
>allowed on that front (Cody? .
>
>[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia
>
>Cheers,
>-
>Vincent

Well at least it wasn't a _stupid_ idea...

So what do you think it would take to do something like this for Xubuntu?
Is it just a matter of getting volunteers to set up and maintain it?
Can we borrow RedHat's code for this?
What would really be cool is if somebody like DistroWatch could host a
similar thing, but across more distros than just RedHat (or Xubuntu, to be
on-topic).

I'll keep my thinking cap on...
-Eddy

Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Larry Cafiero

As an Xubuntu user and a Fedora Ambassador who handles CD distribution on the US West Coast, it's not a stupid idea.

It would take volunteers to maintain it, a budget to provide CDs to people by mail, and this speaks to perhaps Xubuntu tapping into the Ubuntu LoCo groups to help with this (if Xubuntu users aren't active in the LoCos already) by having Xubuntu disks available to those folks going to LUG meetings and other GNU/Linux events.

[Also, is this where this discussion should take place? The Development Discussion list? ]

I'd be open to helping organize this, because Xubuntu is probably the best of the *buntus, as far as I'm concerned.

Larry Cafiero
Felton Linuxworks
6116 Highway 9, Suite 4
Felton, CA 95018
831-335-7303

Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
"hpp3@lavabit.com"

Thanks Larry, glad to make the acquaintance of just the person I was hoping
I could talk to.

I sent this to xubuntu-devel for two reasons:
1) I was already signed up here.
2) I had a hunch it would catch Cody's ear quicker from here.

I'm more than willing to take this discussion to another board if it would
be more appropriate elsewhere, but to reply:

I was hoping this idea could circumvent the whole need for a budget by
putting the actual distribution in the hands of the community.
Perhaps such a thing would be a recipe for disaster if folks ended up
receiving bad burns or (Say it ain't so!!) a nice little rootkit
slipstreamed in.
In that case, I can see the need for an "official" distribution system with
trusted, registered donors and tested disks.

Hmmm...

-Eddy

Old 02-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 13:46:37 -0800
Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:

> As an Xubuntu user and a Fedora Ambassador who handles CD
> distribution on the US West Coast, it's not a stupid idea.
>
> It would take volunteers to maintain it, a budget to provide CDs to
> people by mail, and this speaks to perhaps Xubuntu tapping into the
> Ubuntu LoCo groups to help with this (if Xubuntu users aren't active
> in the LoCos already) by having Xubuntu disks available to those
> folks going to LUG meetings and other GNU/Linux events.
>
> [Also, is this where this discussion should take place? The
> Development Discussion list? ]
>
> I'd be open to helping organize this, because Xubuntu is probably the
> best of the *buntus, as far as I'm concerned.
>
> Larry Cafiero
> Felton Linuxworks
> 6116 Highway 9, Suite 4
> Felton, CA 95018
> 831-335-7303

I would think this is as good a place as any, since the other Xubuntu
mailing list is user tech support. I like the idea, but don't have the
resources or time to invest too deeply.

Probably should get the Marketing team involved in this discussion,
too?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Leaders

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
"hpp3@lavabit.com"

>I would think this is as good a place as any, since the other Xubuntu
>mailing list is user tech support. I like the idea, but don't have the
>resources or time to invest too deeply.
>
>Probably should get the Marketing team involved in this discussion,
>too?
>
>https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Leaders
>
>--
>Charlie Kravetz
>Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
>Never let anyone steal your DREAM. [http://keepingdreams.com]
>
>--

I first posed this question on #xubuntu-devel earlier today, and Knome told
me to post at this list. I see on the page you linked that's the IRC nick
of Marketing lead Pasi Lallinaho...

Pasi? Comments?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 18:14:42 -0500
"hpp3@lavabit.com" <hpp3@lavabit.com> wrote:

> >I would think this is as good a place as any, since the other Xubuntu
> >mailing list is user tech support. I like the idea, but don't have
> >the resources or time to invest too deeply.
> >
> >Probably should get the Marketing team involved in this discussion,
> >too?
> >
> >https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Leaders
> >
> >--
> >Charlie Kravetz
> >Linux Registered User Number 425914 [http://counter.li.org/]
> >Never let anyone steal your DREAM.
> >[http://keepingdreams.com]
> >
> >--
>
> I first posed this question on #xubuntu-devel earlier today, and
> Knome told me to post at this list. I see on the page you linked
> that's the IRC nick of Marketing lead Pasi Lallinaho...
>
> Pasi? Comments?

> mail2web.com – What can On Demand Business Solutions do for you?
> http://link.mail2web.com/Business/SharePoint

Pasi is knome. I guess he will get involved then.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Larry Cafiero

This brings up an interesting question because I've always downloaded and burned all of my own Xubuntu CDs -- does Canonical (or someone) produce Xubuntu CDs for distribution (like they do with the Ubuntu Live CDs)?

Larry Cafiero

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Marko Oreskovic <markoresko@gmail.com> wrote:

hpp3@lavabit.com wrote:

> There used to be a blurb on the Xubuntu webpage that said Xubuntu doesn't

> have the resources to distribute CD's through the mail. I always wished I

> could do something about it, and with inspiration from a friend I think we

> have an idea that can help...

We are doing this thing in our LoCo for few years now.

We post aether on Forum or on Wiki what CD/DVDs we have we can share and

how we are willing to share them and some location hints etc.

(I usually give them Ubuntu DVD and Xubuntu CD)

Most of the time I end up meeting with people and giving them cd/DVDs.

and once I downloaded 3 Debian DVDs and send it to one.

If we meet, they usually can pay for cost of cd/dvd media but nothing

else.

Now if it exist it is on regional level etc.

But some kind of centralized action on Distribution level ,

or better, on all Linuxes level could be done.

(I send multiple distros to people)

Old 02-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Chris Francy

>From: Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero@gmail.com
>It would take volunteers to maintain it, a budget to provide CDs to people
>by mail, and this speaks to perhaps Xubuntu tapping into

Just out of curiosity do you have any estimates on how big of a budget
that would be needed?