Old 02-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Larry Cafiero

Default CD Distribution

Chris --

Off the top of my head, I don't know. But I can ask.

Also, is #xubuntu the channel to go to where this discussion would take place?

Larry Cafiero

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM, Chris Francy <francyci@gmail.com> wrote:

>From: Larry Cafiero larry.cafiero@gmail.com

>It would take volunteers to maintain it, a budget to provide CDs to people

>by mail, and this speaks to perhaps Xubuntu tapping into

Just out of curiosity do you have any estimates on how big of a budget

that would be needed?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Marko Oreskovic

hpp3@lavabit.com wrote:
> There used to be a blurb on the Xubuntu webpage that said Xubuntu doesn't
> have the resources to distribute CD's through the mail. I always wished I
> could do something about it, and with inspiration from a friend I think we
> have an idea that can help...

We are doing this thing in our LoCo for few years now.

We post aether on Forum or on Wiki what CD/DVDs we have we can share and
how we are willing to share them and some location hints etc.
(I usually give them Ubuntu DVD and Xubuntu CD)

Most of the time I end up meeting with people and giving them cd/DVDs.
and once I downloaded 3 Debian DVDs and send it to one.
If we meet, they usually can pay for cost of cd/dvd media but nothing
else.

Now if it exist it is on regional level etc.

But some kind of centralized action on Distribution level ,
or better, on all Linuxes level could be done.
(I send multiple distros to people)

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM
Charlie Kravetz

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:21:33 -0800
Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:

> This brings up an interesting question because I've always downloaded
> and burned all of my own Xubuntu CDs -- does Canonical (or someone)
> produce Xubuntu CDs for distribution (like they do with the Ubuntu
> Live CDs)?
>
> Larry Cafiero

No, they do not have funding for Xubuntu cd's through Ship-It. Thus the
need to do it through other means. Perhaps through LoCo's would be the
easiest way at the present time. Doing it internationally through
centralized point would be fairly difficult, I think. However, I would
like to see a central location for a request list to be maintained.
Then if the individual is close enough, someone could burn a cd and
pass it on to them.

--
Charlie Kravetz

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Charlie Kravetz wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 16:21:33 -0800
> Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> This brings up an interesting question because I've always downloaded
>> and burned all of my own Xubuntu CDs -- does Canonical (or someone)
>> produce Xubuntu CDs for distribution (like they do with the Ubuntu
>> Live CDs)?
>>
>> Larry Cafiero
>>

> No, they do not have funding for Xubuntu cd's through Ship-It. Thus the
> need to do it through other means. Perhaps through LoCo's would be the
> easiest way at the present time. Doing it internationally through
> centralized point would be fairly difficult, I think. However, I would
> like to see a central location for a request list to be maintained.
> Then if the individual is close enough, someone could burn a cd and
> pass it on to them.

Hello everybody who is involved in this discussion.

I think this is a great idea and we should use LoCo's for this as much
as possible. LoCo's can be very helpful with these kinds of things, but
they also have some problematic points. I believe in the goodwill of
people. I even believe that many LoCo participants are ready to use one
of her CD's and burn the image to it and send it to somebody who needs
the CD - and I have seen this happen for many times.

However, it is a completely different thing to rely completely on the
LoCo's on this behalf because we don't know how many request it would
generate if we say that LoCo's will handle this. It can bring quite a
lot of financial losses to people and they might also need to use a
unreasonable amount of time to do it. (A sidenote: The financial loss is
a big question especially in areas, where people don't have much money
(either the LoCo participant or the CD receiver). As it happens to be,
these places are often the places where people don't have such great
internet connections. And that's where Shipit came along anyway.)

Maybe we need a starting point for those whose LoCo can't supply them a
CD - or who don't have a LoCo to ask one for.

Here is what I think we should do:
1. Point people asking for CD's to LoCo's. I suppose many LoCo's are
willing to help in their own way, or we can write them a general
strategy how to handle things like this. (There was also lots of
discussion in the community track in UDS that LoCo's need to cooperate
with each other more and share positive experiences anyway.)
2. Believe in people's goodwill and tell people to ask for a CD in
xubuntu-users mailing list. I've seen this working for a few times also.
3. Maybe at some point set up something for those who just can't get the
CD anywhere. This would be where Eddy's idea and Larry's and Fedora's
experience comes in. I of course would help with this. Charlie's idea in
the last post is something what we should do. (Centralised location for
request, but some kind of system to calculate the nearest LoCo or a few
nearest people who have volunteered to ship/burn CD's)

Before doing this, we need to hear Cody and other people.

I want to emphasize that this is truely a great idea and will support it
if we decide to go that direction. But maybe we need to rethink and
adjust our working methods on this before we can honestly say the
current situation is bad enough.

Charlie, unfortunately there is no one else in the marketing team but
me. I hope we can get this changed. Eddy?
Larry, #xubuntu-devel would be the most appropriate IRC channel on this.
You can recognize me from the nick knome, as Charlie pointed out earlier.
Cody, maybe you would like to give an opinion?

It might be I missed something from the discussion. In that case, ping
me at IRC or just ask again.

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Hello Folks,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:
<snip>

Hello everybody who is involved in this discussion.

I think this is a great idea and we should use LoCo's for this as much

as possible. LoCo's can be very helpful with these kinds of things, but

they also have some problematic points. I believe in the goodwill of

people. I even believe that many LoCo participants are ready to use one

of her CD's and burn the image to it and send it to somebody who needs

the CD - and I have seen this happen for many times.
Yes, utilizing LoCo teams is an excellent idea. Not only does the individual get a cd with Xubuntu, they also get a local or regional contact for help and support.

As for a central location to request CDs from, unfortunately I'm not sure if we have the resources available to us currently to come up with something like that as we near the end of the release cycle for Jaunty. However, if I'm not mistaken, LoCo teams are well documented on the wiki.

However, if someone wants to take this on then they certainly have my blessings.

<snip>
*

Charlie, unfortunately there is no one else in the marketing team but

me. I hope we can get this changed. Eddy?

Larry, #xubuntu-devel would be the most appropriate IRC channel on this.

You can recognize me from the nick knome, as Charlie pointed out earlier.

Cody, maybe you would like to give an opinion?
#xubuntu-devel should be fine.
*

It might be I missed something from the discussion. In that case, ping

me at IRC or just ask again.

--

Pasi Lallinaho

Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Web-designer, graphic artist

IRC: knome @ freenode

Cheers,
--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer

Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Eddy Martin

Cody A.W. Somerville wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi
> <mailtopen@knome.fi>> wrote:
> <snip>
>

> Hello everybody who is involved in this discussion.
>
> I think this is a great idea and we should use LoCo's for this as much
> as possible. LoCo's can be very helpful with these kinds of
> things, but
> they also have some problematic points. I believe in the goodwill of
> people. I even believe that many LoCo participants are ready to
> use one
> of her CD's and burn the image to it and send it to somebody who needs
> the CD - and I have seen this happen for many times.
>

> Yes, utilizing LoCo teams is an excellent idea. Not only does the
> individual get a cd with Xubuntu, they also get a local or regional
> contact for help and support.
>
> As for a central location to request CDs from, unfortunately I'm not
> sure if we have the resources available to us currently to come up
> with something like that as we near the end of the release cycle for
> Jaunty. However, if I'm not mistaken, LoCo teams are well documented
> on the wiki.
>
> However, if someone wants to take this on then they certainly have my
> blessings.
>
> <snip>
>

> Charlie, unfortunately there is no one else in the marketing team but
> me. I hope we can get this changed. Eddy?
> Larry, #xubuntu-devel would be the most appropriate IRC channel on
> this.
> You can recognize me from the nick knome, as Charlie pointed out
> earlier.
> Cody, maybe you would like to give an opinion?
>

> #xubuntu-devel should be fine.
>

> It might be I missed something from the discussion. In that case, ping
> me at IRC or just ask again.
>
> --
> Pasi Lallinaho
> Xubuntu Marketing Lead
> Web-designer, graphic artist
> IRC: knome @ freenode
>

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Cody A.W. Somerville
> Software Systems Release Engineer
> Custom Engineering Solutions Group
> Canonical OEM Services
> Cell: 506-471-8402
> Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com
> <mailto:cody.somerville@canonical.com>
Thanks for the replies, Cody and Pasi.

Cody - Good to know that LoCos are listed on the Wiki, I hadn't thought
of that as a resource. Perhaps reference to them could be located in a
more prominent place for those who are looking to receive a CD by mail
or from a local group?

Also, I understand that resources are hard to come by. While my original
idea encompassed providing a community-based alternative to Ship-It for
the Xubuntu distro, it would necessarily entail mundane details like
server space, code, volunteers, etc. and I have no idea how to go about
that myself. Maybe somebody could get their LoCo involved more along
those lines and get this idea kickstarted, who knows...

Pasi - Thank you for the invitation, I'd love to help any way I can. I
only fear I may not have the necessary time or talent for whatever
assistance you may need. Let me know where I can help and I'll do what I
can. Folks tell me I could do well writing advertising copy if I only
had the credentials...

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

Eddy Martin wrote:
> [...]
> of that as a resource. Perhaps reference to them could be located in a
> more prominent place for those who are looking to receive a CD by mail
> or from a local group?
>
> Also, I understand that resources are hard to come by. While my original
> idea encompassed providing a community-based alternative to Ship-It for
> the Xubuntu distro, it would necessarily entail mundane details like
> server space, code, volunteers, etc. and I have no idea how to go about
> that myself. Maybe somebody could get their LoCo involved more along
> those lines and get this idea kickstarted, who knows...
>
> Pasi - Thank you for the invitation, I'd love to help any way I can. I
> only fear I may not have the necessary time or talent for whatever
> assistance you may need. Let me know where I can help and I'll do what I
> can. Folks tell me I could do well writing advertising copy if I only

Hi Eddy,

we always need help with lots of varying things. If you really want to
participate, the first thing you should do is join #xubuntu-devel (and
preferably also #xubuntu) and just hang around. There is already a
listing of some jobs that you might be interested in at
http://xubuntu.org/contribute. Being subscribed to xubuntu-devel keeps
you nicely in what is going on. There is no clear idea on how we are
willing to establish the marketing team so the best thing would just be
- as I suggested - hanging around at #xubuntu-devel, looking what's
going on and coming forward when there is something you are interested in.

You might be interested in a specification on growing the Xubuntu
community on our Roadmap
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Jaunty/GrowXubuntuCommunity).
Advocacy, support and documentation might also be something for you
(http://xubuntu.org/contribute/advocacy_support_documentation).

You might want to talk to Vincent (vinnl on IRC) and Cody about coming a
new author for the Xubuntu website, writing articles and making things
more catchy/attractive. It is true that we need to review a lot of the
text in our site and add many things there - for example the procedure
for asking a CD and links to LoCo's (or the Ubuntu wiki Loco frontpage
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams)). The thing you raised up has been a
WIP for a long time and I'm excited to get something done.

And if you are even more interested, you should contribute to anything
and everything - and then apply for Ubuntu Membership
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership) and maybe start writing a blog
about Xubuntu to Planet Ubuntu (http://planet.ubuntu.com/). This is not
a one-day project, but is of course encouraged if you are willing to
give much to the Xubuntu community.

Feel free to contribute as much or little as you have time/resources.
Our community is really warm and welcoming (as you might have noticed)
and everybody is willing to help, even if you feel like you're totally
lost. We have all started working on Ubuntu once.

See you around and again, please just repeat if I missed something/you
want to know more.