Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Bruno Diaz

Default Dolphin research with Xubuntu!

The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI is a marine science and education centre committed to conserving the diversity and integrity of marine life to meet the needs of current and future generations. The*BDRI has installed*Xubuntu operating system in their laboratory computers. We decided to use*Xubuntu as it is easier to maintain and in our experience offers better access to support. We use it for running office applications, graphics, educational and research software. Another reason for choosing Ubuntu is the software's easy installation and
packaging system, a light way to migrate graduatelly from Windows to Linux.

For our purposes Xubuntu works pretty well. We are guessing Xubuntu is mostly used as a lightweight Office desktop, runs faster than windows and never goes crazy!!!. Adittionally if we need any windows application to carry out analyses we use Wine as virtual desktop!

Thanks for Xubuntu,

Bruno Diaz Lopez
Research Biologist / Marine Zoologist
Chief Researcher
The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
V.Armando Diaz Nș4 07020 Golfo Aranci (SS) Italy
http://www.thebdri.com
info@thebdri.com
Tel: + (39) 346 0815414--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Thiago Chaves

Good to hear that.

Do not hesitate to ask the community for help should that be necessary. =)

If possible, please share publicly some information on what were the
steps taken to perform the migration; what were the easy parts, what
were the difficulties; the upsides and downsides of the process. Any
information that assists future migrators and/or developers in
facilitating the migration process is valuable.

-Thiago