-   -   Inclusion of xfce-taskmanager? (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/234897-inclusion-xfce-taskmanager.html)

Jim Campbell 01-26-2009 06:42 PM

Inclusion of xfce-taskmanager?

Hi All,

One of the xfce-goodies that I've found to be useful is the xfce4-taskmanager package.* It's a simple graphical utility that allows the user to see running processes, memory consumption, etc.* You can also kill running processes from this utility.

Among other things, I've found this utility to be helpful when killing a non-responsive program, as sometimes the top command doesn't always display the name of the non-responsive application.* In those situations where I've been using top, I've had to guess at the name of the application when using the killall command.* Using the taskmanager utility has always allowed me to see and take action on the non-responsive app.

If we have the room on the cd, and assuming that the application hasn't been excluded for technical reasons (i.e. excessive memory usage / memory leaks or known bugs), could we include this as part of the default installation seeds?* I think it would be an easy thing to include that would provide added benefit our users.

Jim

Also - w00t for the release of xfce-4.6-rc1.* :)

Giuseppe Torelli 01-26-2009 06:50 PM

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> If we have the room on the cd, and assuming that the application hasn't been
> excluded for technical reasons (i.e. excessive memory usage / memory leaks
> or known bugs), could we include this as part of the default installation
> seeds? I think it would be an easy thing to include that would provide
> added benefit our users.

If I remember correctly xfce-task-manger was dropped in favour of
gnome-system-monitor when "it was decided" to include the gnome
libraries in Xubuntu.

--
Colossus
Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker -

Vincent 01-26-2009 07:02 PM

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> If we have the room on the cd, and assuming that the application hasn't been

> excluded for technical reasons (i.e. excessive memory usage / memory leaks

> or known bugs), could we include this as part of the default installation

> seeds? *I think it would be an easy thing to include that would provide

> added benefit our users.

If I remember correctly xfce-task-manger was dropped in favour of

gnome-system-monitor
Yep, Gnome's System Monitor allows you to do the things mentioned above and more.
--
Vincent

Jim Campbell 01-26-2009 07:05 PM

Inclusion of xfce-taskmanager?

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> If we have the room on the cd, and assuming that the application hasn't been

> excluded for technical reasons (i.e. excessive memory usage / memory leaks

> or known bugs), could we include this as part of the default installation

> seeds? *I think it would be an easy thing to include that would provide

> added benefit our users.

If I remember correctly xfce-task-manger was dropped in favour of

gnome-system-monitor
Yep, Gnome's System Monitor allows you to do the things mentioned above and more.

Ok - good to know.* I'll check it out.

Jim

Marko Oreskovic 02-11-2009 10:39 PM

Jim Campbell wrote:
> If I remember correctly xfce-task-manger was dropped in favour of
> gnome-system-monitor
>
> Yep, Gnome's System Monitor allows you to do the things mentioned
> above and more.
>
> Ok - good to know. I'll check it out.
>
> Jim

I think that Xfce task manager was previously default for Xubuntu.

As I remember last time I used it, it had issues like memory leak/lockup
and I switched to gnome-system-monitor myself, before it became default,
only because of misbehaving Xfce task manager in that time.

I don`t know how Xfce task manager behaves now..