Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Kristian Rink

Default xfdesktop segfault after using xrandr?

Folks;

using xubuntu 8.10, I just recently happened to run into xfdesktop cease
working after using xrandr to "reconfigure" my displays with the notebook
attached to a docking station. I use

xrandr --output VGA --mode 1280x1024_75 --output LVDS --off

to just make use of my TFT at its best resolution and turn off the notebooks
native display which I don't need. After doing so, the XFCE desktop icons
aren't usable anymore, the background image doesn't rescale to fit the
screen anymore, and doing "dmesg" I see the following:

[ 89.860041] xfdesktop[5651]: segfault at 0 ip b7a3bd39 sp bf9423a0 error
4 in libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0.1400.4[b79e7000+88000]

Restarting xfdesktop gets me back to a working state, but this is, well, not
very convenient. I have to add that, using an xrandr call similar to the
one above not switching off LVDS but rather using it as a secondary screen
("left-of VGA" ...), xfdesktop behaves well, no segfault.

Known problem? Worth filing an issue?
TIA and all the best,
Kristian

--