Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Default Update from the Xubuntu Front

Hello Folks,

*I hope everyone enjoyed any New Years celebrations that you may have taken part in. Alpha 3 is now only two days away so we need to get back on track and buckle in for the rest of the release cycle.

** Mario Limonciello has fixed the gnome-keyring-daemon issue today that was resulting in the desktop not being able to start correctly. Kudos to Mario.

** Charlie has updated the testing pages so folks interested in helping test the daily Xubuntu images should now have a better idea of how to effectively do so. Please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing/TestingInfo for more information.

** Help grow the Xubuntu community! Its one of our goals for Jaunty. Take a look at the following wiki page for different ideas brainstormed at UDS to do just that: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Roadmap/Specifications/Jaunty/GrowXubuntuCommunity

** Once Alpha 3 is released, we'll start uploading Xfce 4.6 (hopefully using the Xfce 4.6 beta 3 tarballs). When this occurs, we'll need your help in testing so that we can stomp out as many bugs and regressions as possible in time for the final release of Jaunty.

** If you're interested in helping contribute to Xubuntu documentation, please bug Jim (j1mc) and Jannis (JPohlmann) on the #xubuntu-devel IRC channel on Freenode! I'd really like to see the documentation be successfully updated/overhauled in collaboration with upstream for Xfce 4.6.

** Any Xfce4 panel applet writers out there? I'm looking to hack up a native panel applet for Xfce4 to enable user switching similar to the gnome user switcher applet.

** Eager to help out but not sure how? Log onto our IRC channel on Freenode (#xubuntu) and enjoy the company of others as you help answer questions and support requests from other users and developers. ;]

Anyhow, I need to hit the sack for tonight. Hope to see you all on #xubuntu and #xubuntu-devel sometime soon!!!

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer