Old 12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Vincent

Default Things that should be done early on in the Xubuntu release cycle

Hi,

There are a few issues that always pop up at the end of the release cycle when it's too late to implement them, so I'd like to list some of them here again so they might perhaps be attended to.

These are the things I could come up with off the top of my head, but please add any others:

** Add/Remove... should (also?) be a direct child of the Applications: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-default-settings/+bug/214809 , http://www.nabble.com/Meeting-td14645674.html and http://www.nabble.com/RFC%3A-Moving-Add-Remove...-from-System-to-Top-Level-td16602493.html

** Thunar needs a "Find in this folder" action: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-default-settings/+bug/291622

** [needs-packaging] GNOME-colors icon theme: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/261988
Cheers,
--
Vincent

Old 12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
"Eddy Martin"

Good ideas all around. I'm especially curious about the last item.
Historically KDE and Gnome have had their own preferred naming scheme for icons and whatnot, so I assume Xfce has as well (I never researched it thoroughly before now...), but I wonder...

I'm finding out how difficult it is to convert a package from Gnome to Freedesktop (I'm making a valiant attempt to convert the Nuvola set from gnome-theme-extras as an intellectual exercise...), so would it be too much to ask theme devs to update their sets to conform to the Freedesktop spec and is that the goal here?
Speaking of which, how well do the three environments support the Freedesktop spec?
I heard rumors of KDE4 being fully Freedesktop compatible, and I've noticed Xfce icon sets that follow as well, but how far does that go?

As for other suggestionss, I'll ruminate and post later.

-Eddy

Old 12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
David Collins

Re: Thunar "Find in this folder":

The current release of XFCE Mint (5) has done a nice job of setting up right-click options in Thunar.* They have set up catfish for finding files.* Xubuntu dev might be able to leverage off their work and testing.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Vincent

Here's another one: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/item/16756/
--
Vincent

Old 12-23-2008, 07:06 PM
David Collins

If most people think it is a good idea to uncheck "Save session for future logins" as a default, then go ahead.

I might be unusual, but when I started using Xubuntu (coming from Windows) this was a feature that impressed me.* Windows XP remembers if you have explorer running when you exit (and I think that is just an accident of programming), and that's about it.* If this feature hadn't been on by default in Xubuntu, then it might have taken me a year to discover it - well a couple of months.

In the end, with requests like this, I guess you have to make some sort of intelligent guess about what you think the majority of new users would like.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Vincent

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM, David Collins <david.8.collins@gmail.com> wrote:

If most people think it is a good idea to uncheck "Save session for future logins" as a default, then go ahead.

I might be unusual, but when I started using Xubuntu (coming from Windows) this was a feature that impressed me.* Windows XP remembers if you have explorer running when you exit (and I think that is just an accident of programming), and that's about it.* If this feature hadn't been on by default in Xubuntu, then it might have taken me a year to discover it - well a couple of months.

In the end, with requests like this, I guess you have to make some sort of intelligent guess about what you think the majority of new users would like.

Well, I suppose many would like it, but it's also a source of many problems which alone might be reason enough not to do it.
--
Vincent

Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 PM
"David Collins"

I re-read the article, but I still can't see a real problem - to quote - 'did not noticed this checkbox and forget to uncheck'.* (Referring to the 'Save Session for Future Logins' checkbox that clearly appears every time you log out.)

It is not just this small issue that is my concern.* It is more a concern about strategy when marketing Xubuntu.* I have been using Xubuntu for about 18 months, have been subscribed to the Xubuntu-users mailing list for that time, and am still finding out about great features in XFCE and Xubuntu.* I think the Xubuntu community need a strategy where it advertises the great features - and one way this is done is by setting defaults so that the nice features are enabled - and, of course, also make it easy to disable these if they are not wanted.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. *

And Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Marko Oreskovic

David Collins wrote:
> concern about strategy when marketing Xubuntu. I have been using
> Xubuntu for about 18 months, have been subscribed to the Xubuntu-users
> mailing list for that time, and am still finding out about great
> features in XFCE and Xubuntu. I think the Xubuntu community need a
> strategy where it advertises the great features - and one way this is
> done is by setting defaults so that the nice features are enabled - and,
> of course, also make it easy to disable these if they are not wanted.

I would also like to see nice list of great thinks you see using Xubuntu.
Maybe I would add some ideas myself after reading your things you like
about Xubuntu. That would be great resource to use when looking for
marketing ideas.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Vincent

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Marko Oreskovic <markoresko@gmail.com> wrote:

David Collins wrote:

> concern about strategy when marketing Xubuntu. *I have been using

> Xubuntu for about 18 months, have been subscribed to the Xubuntu-users

> mailing list for that time, and am still finding out about great

> features in XFCE and Xubuntu. *I think the Xubuntu community need a

> strategy where it advertises the great features - and one way this is

> done is by setting defaults so that the nice features are enabled - and,

> of course, also make it easy to disable these if they are not wanted.

I would also like to see nice list of great thinks you see using Xubuntu.

Maybe I would add some ideas myself after reading your things you like

about Xubuntu. That would be great resource to use when looking for

marketing ideas.

--
You might want to keep tabs on some Xubuntu-related blogs (That said, I'll try to focus some more on nice features on my own blog)

Anyway, the problem is that if you did not notice the checkbox then you wouldn't know why all your applications are suddenly appearing on startup. Then, if you later do find out about the checkbox and you uncheck it, the applications *still* keep appearing. The worst, however, is that it is known to some times cause problems and you wouldn't know what the source of the problems is.

--
Vincent