Old 12-05-2008, 04:24 AM
LP

Default Error when updating

Hi.

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this but here goes...
I have an old laptop i haven't used for a while, so i thought i do an
update on it.
When i do apt-get update, i get a whole bunch of 404...

It is Xubuntu Feisty, so it is kind of old, is that why?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this but i was not sure
where to ask

Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 AM
"Jim Campbell"

Hi there, LP,

I am not sure this is the right place to ask this but here goes...

I have an old laptop i haven't used for a while, so i thought i do an

update on it.

When i do apt-get update, i get a whole bunch of 404...

It is Xubuntu Feisty, so it is kind of old, is that why?

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this but i was not sure

where to ask

There is a xubuntu-users mailing list that would be more appropriate for this question [1].

However, I can tell you that Xubuntu 7.04 is no longer supported, so that is why you were getting the 404 errors when trying to update your system.* Regular (non-Long Term Support) releases are supported for 18 months following release, so you would need to upgrade to a more recent release to receive updates.

Jim

Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 AM
LP

Jim Campbell wrote:
> Hi there, LP,
>
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 11:24 PM, LP <lp@altnet.cjb.net
> <mailto:lp@altnet.cjb.net>> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I am not sure this is the right place to ask this but here goes...
> I have an old laptop i haven't used for a while, so i thought i do an
> update on it.
> When i do apt-get update, i get a whole bunch of 404...
>
> It is Xubuntu Feisty, so it is kind of old, is that why?
>
> Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this but i was not sure
> where to ask
>

> There is a xubuntu-users mailing list that would be more appropriate
> for this question [1].
>
> However, I can tell you that Xubuntu 7.04 is no longer supported, so
> that is why you were getting the 404 errors when trying to update your
> system. Regular (non-Long Term Support) releases are supported for 18
> months following release, so you would need to upgrade to a more
> recent release to receive updates.
>
> Jim

Hello Jim.
Thank you for your answer.