-   -   Xubuntu new package request (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/204220-xubuntu-new-package-request.html)

John Kerr Anderson 12-02-2008 01:15 AM

Xubuntu new package request

Dear Xubuntu developers:

I have been using Debian and later Xubuntu since 1999 so I am quite familiar
with the OS in general.

To make it easier for people still relying on dial-up connections I have
discovered the
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-modemlights-plugin
"Modem Lights" plugin and have compiled it from source which I find is
very easy way for even novice users to simply connect and disconnect from
the internet. It isn't fancy but elegant much like Xubuntu in its
simplicity.

I have created a .deb package and would like to contribute it so that more
users could benefit from this handy applet, without having to download source
packages and what not. I have read the Ubuntu web site and it appears I need
to send it to two (2) Ubuntu Developers in order to get it approved. I figured
since you the Xubuntu Developers, two of you might be able to help?

I am not huge into programming but figured others could benefit from my
contribution. If you can be of any help please let me know.

Respectfully yours,

John Kerr Anderson

Marko Oreskovic 12-29-2008 02:11 AM

John Kerr Anderson wrote:
> Dear Xubuntu developers:
>

> I have been using Debian and later Xubuntu since 1999 so I am quite familiar
> with the OS in general.
>
> To make it easier for people still relying on dial-up connections I have
> discovered the
> http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-modemlights-plugin
> "Modem Lights" plugin and have compiled it from source which I find is

Hello. Maybe you could make a bug request on launchpad for inclusion of
the package?

I did that near the end of 8.10 release cycle and it gone pretty well.
Newer xfce4-xkb-plugin is available in Jaunty/9.04

Vincent 12-30-2008 12:54 PM

See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages#Requesting%20a%20new%20package%20for%2 0Ubuntu and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/NewPackages/ExamplePackageRequest

--
Vincent

David Collins 12-30-2008 06:00 PM

Xubuntu new package request

Vincent,

Is a request for a Goodie package directed at Xubuntu or Ubuntu?

David

Vincent 12-30-2008 06:23 PM

Xubuntu new package request

It doesn't really matter - if you request it and it gets packaged, then both users of Xubuntu and users of Ubuntu (or users of both) can install them.

Michael Schemer Ii 12-30-2008 07:07 PM

Xubuntu new package request

This is something I would like to be mentored on.
I have been looking for a package to maintain/build as a beginner. I think not only doing the documentation on the goodies for XfCE 4.4/4.6 and the packages/meta-package for the goodies would be a great way to get me good all around experience.
Michael

On Dec 30, 2008, at 2:23 PM, Vincent wrote:It doesn't really matter - if you request it and it gets packaged, then both users of Xubuntu and users of Ubuntu (or users of both) can install them.