Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 AM
shirish

Default which daemon is running, gnome-screensaver or xscreensaver?

Hi all,
Sorry for the cross-post. I dunno where this query might be relevant
hence posting to both.

I have a mixed ubuntu & xubuntu Intrepid (8.10) setup. Which means
sometimes I login to ubuntu while sometimes I login to xubuntu.

While in Ubuntu if there is no activity either by mouse or by the
keyboard, the monitor goes into power-safe mode. in xubuntu it
doesn't.

Now I do not know why it doesn't do this. So I wanna find the following :-

a. Which daemon of the two are running atm, is there a way to find out.
From what I know its
1. gnome-power-preferences
2. xscreensaver-demo

b. Is there any other tool or any other configuration I need to be
aware of while in xubuntu?

Looking forward to comments, suggestions on the same.
Shirish Agarwal
http://flossexperiences.wordpress.com
065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3 8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17

Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Hello,

While in Ubuntu if there is no activity either by mouse or by the

keyboard, the monitor goes into power-safe mode. in xubuntu it

doesn't.

Now I do not know why it doesn't do this. So I wanna find the following :-

a. Which daemon of the two are running atm, is there a way to find out.

* * * *From what I know its

* * * 1. gnome-power-preferences

* * * 2. xscreensaver-demo

If xscreensaver is installed, Xubuntu will use xscreensaver. Otherise, Xubuntu will use gnome-screensaver. Xubuntu ships gnome-screensaver by default.

You can tell which is running by looking for the xscreenaver and gnome-screensaver processes.

*

b. *Is there any other tool or any other configuration I need to be

aware of while in xubuntu?
You may be suffering from a bug introduced in Hardy. At the gdm login screen, click "sessions" and select "Xfce4" before logging in.
*
Looking forward to comments, suggestions on the same.*

--

* * * * *Regards,

* * * * *Shirish Agarwal<snip>

Cheers,
--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer

Cell: 506-449-5899
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
shirish

Hi Cody,
I removed xscreensaver altogether. This is a box which got upgraded
from Hardy to Intrepid perhaps that's the reason xscreensaver still
was there.

Ah, I don't check for XFCE when logging in, will do it in sometime and
check back on the same.