Old 09-29-2008, 12:48 AM
jmak

Default Artworks update

Hello all,

Here are some news about the current state of artworks for intrepid.
More less the artworks are done. I reorganized the wiki page by
putting the recommended artworks for intrepid to the front, for better
reviewing.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid

I incorporated the logos in the new wallpapers experimentally.
Because of this, I created two versions of them, one for regular and
one for wide screen monitors.
The gtk theme still not completely decided on. In my last write up, I
recommended unity. Since then lots of things happened. Among others a
brand new theme, New wave (a darkish theme) was created that is based
on the newest murrine engine. Looks pretty cool and it comes with a
new xfwm4 theme. I also uploaded that one for review. Please take a
look at it.
For the icon theme, I recommend Gnome colors. Look at the screen shot.

Cody, don't forget implementing the panel icon improvement script, I
sent over to you a few weeks back. This would be important because the
script makes the panel icons as good as in gnome.
Look at the differences:

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panelcompositeaf5.png

All the archive files are up on the wiki ready for implementation.

jmak

Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
vidd

jmak wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Here are some news about the current state of artworks for intrepid.
> More less the artworks are done. I reorganized the wiki page by
> putting the recommended artworks for intrepid to the front, for better
> reviewing.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid
>
> I incorporated the logos in the new wallpapers experimentally.
> Because of this, I created two versions of them, one for regular and
> one for wide screen monitors.
> The gtk theme still not completely decided on. In my last write up, I
> recommended unity. Since then lots of things happened. Among others a
> brand new theme, New wave (a darkish theme) was created that is based
> on the newest murrine engine. Looks pretty cool and it comes with a
> new xfwm4 theme. I also uploaded that one for review. Please take a
> look at it.
> For the icon theme, I recommend Gnome colors. Look at the screen shot.
>
> Cody, don't forget implementing the panel icon improvement script, I
> sent over to you a few weeks back. This would be important because the
> script makes the panel icons as good as in gnome.
> Look at the differences:
>
> http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panelcompositeaf5.png
>
> All the archive files are up on the wiki ready for implementation.
>
> jmak

Nice work !
I personally prefer the look of the unity over the NewWave.

I also like the idea of having the logo on the default wallpaper, but is
it possible that placing the logo in the center will have it scale
properly so that one image can be used for both wide and normal screens?
Also, I believe the logo would be more appealing if it was over a
lighter shade rather then the dark shade in the lower right.

While Gnome Colors looks fresh, I think I actually like the icons in the
"Customized Murrina theme + daolo xfwm4 wm theme" screen shot (is that
icon theme fully fleshed out?)

Thank you
vidd

Old 09-29-2008, 12:38 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Here are some news about the current state of artworks for intrepid.

More less the artworks are done. I reorganized *the wiki page by

putting the recommended artworks for intrepid to the front, for better

reviewing.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid

*I incorporated the logos in the new wallpapers experimentally.

Because of this, I created two versions of them, one for regular and

one for wide screen monitors.
I've updated the background.
*

The gtk theme still not completely decided on. In my last write up, I

recommended unity. Since then lots of things happened. Among others a

brand new theme, New wave (a darkish theme) was created that is based

on the newest murrine engine. Looks pretty cool and it comes with a

new xfwm4 theme. I also uploaded that one for review. Please take a

look at it.
I'm not too crazy about it. Dark themes still have a long ways to go.
*

For the icon theme, I recommend Gnome colors. Look at the screen shot.
I like it but it may be too late in the release cycle to include it.
*

Cody, don't forget implementing the panel icon improvement script, I

sent over to you a few weeks back. This would be important because the

script makes the panel icons as good as in gnome.

Look at the differences:

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=panelcompositeaf5.png
I played with your recommended improvement this evening and I found that although it made some icons look nicer it did so at the expense of almost all the other widgets in the panel since your modifications remove that padding.

*

All the archive files are up on the wiki ready for implementation.

jmak

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer
Custom Engineering Solutions Group
Canonical OEM Services
Cell: 506-449-5899
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
Vincent

[...]

Same here, Unity looks good enough.
*

*

For the icon theme, I recommend Gnome colors. Look at the screen shot.
I like it but it may be too late in the release cycle to include it.
That's a shame. It is possible to set the milestone for https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-artwork/+bug/261988 ? I really don't know what else to do to give it more visibility...

*
*

[...]

Thanks,