Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
"Pasi Lallinaho"

Default Start page - lets go

Hi Matthew and other fellow contributors,

all the projects need a start page. That's why I think we really
should co-operate on this one between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
Practically this could mean one man doing the start page for all the
projects - though hopefully not.

I am interested in this, and I will be doing the start page most
probably for Xubuntu and Kubuntu so... If somebody is interested in
giving me and hand with these, that would be awesome. I follow this
mailing list closely, so just reply or ping me (knome) at freenode.

I'm CCing this message to kubuntu-devel and xubuntu-devel mailing lists.

--
Pasi Lallinaho
Xubuntu Marketing Lead

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
"Matthew Nuzum"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:
> all the projects need a start page. That's why I think we really
> should co-operate on this one between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
> Practically this could mean one man doing the start page for all the
> projects - though hopefully not.
>
> I am interested in this, and I will be doing the start page most
> probably for Xubuntu and Kubuntu so... If somebody is interested in
> giving me and hand with these, that would be awesome. I follow this
> mailing list closely, so just reply or ping me (knome) at freenode.
>
> I'm CCing this message to kubuntu-devel and xubuntu-devel mailing lists.

Hi, I'm fine with that and happy to help facilitate it. I'm not sure
how to tackle this from a technological perspective since the start
page is defined by the ubufox plugin for firefox. If you need
technical details on how this works the person to talk to is asac, irl
Alexander Sack and often found in #ubuntu-mozillateam on freenode.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
"Matthew Nuzum"

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
"Matthew East"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Matthew Nuzum
<matthew.nuzum@canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:
>> all the projects need a start page. That's why I think we really
>> should co-operate on this one between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
>> Practically this could mean one man doing the start page for all the
>> projects - though hopefully not.
>>
>> I am interested in this, and I will be doing the start page most
>> probably for Xubuntu and Kubuntu so... If somebody is interested in
>> giving me and hand with these, that would be awesome. I follow this
>> mailing list closely, so just reply or ping me (knome) at freenode.
>>
>> I'm CCing this message to kubuntu-devel and xubuntu-devel mailing lists.
>
> Hi, I'm fine with that and happy to help facilitate it. I'm not sure
> how to tackle this from a technological perspective since the start
> page is defined by the ubufox plugin for firefox. If you need
> technical details on how this works the person to talk to is asac, irl
> Alexander Sack and often found in #ubuntu-mozillateam on freenode.

I've discussed this with Alexander a few times: the most likely
approach we've discussed is for derivatives to ship their own version
of ubufox, such as xubufox and kubufox. Then again, Kubuntu doesn't
use firefox, but konqueror, so different considerations are likely to
apply.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org

Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
"Matthew East"

Old 09-23-2008, 11:23 PM
"Antonio Augusto (Mancha)"

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 17:03, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Matthew Nuzum
> <matthew.nuzum@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Pasi Lallinaho <open@knome.fi> wrote:
>>> all the projects need a start page. That's why I think we really
>>> should co-operate on this one between Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu.
>>> Practically this could mean one man doing the start page for all the
>>> projects - though hopefully not.
>>>
>>> I am interested in this, and I will be doing the start page most
>>> probably for Xubuntu and Kubuntu so... If somebody is interested in
>>> giving me and hand with these, that would be awesome. I follow this
>>> mailing list closely, so just reply or ping me (knome) at freenode.
>>>
>>> I'm CCing this message to kubuntu-devel and xubuntu-devel mailing lists.
>>
>> Hi, I'm fine with that and happy to help facilitate it. I'm not sure
>> how to tackle this from a technological perspective since the start
>> page is defined by the ubufox plugin for firefox. If you need
>> technical details on how this works the person to talk to is asac, irl
>> Alexander Sack and often found in #ubuntu-mozillateam on freenode.
>
> I've discussed this with Alexander a few times: the most likely
> approach we've discussed is for derivatives to ship their own version
> of ubufox, such as xubufox and kubufox. Then again, Kubuntu doesn't
> use firefox, but konqueror, so different considerations are likely to
> apply.

You mean that Firefox insn't installed by default in kubuntu, and not
that it isn't used right?
I use Kubuntu with Firefox, Konqueror, nowadays, simply doesn't work
with many sites that i use.

IMHO create a kubufox package is an interesting approach, specially if
plugins suggestions is controlled by this, this way it would be
possible to offer KDE native options.

m 2cts

KM

Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 AM
"Pasi Lallinaho"

2008/9/24 Antonio Augusto (Mancha) <khaoticmind@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 17:03, Matthew East <mdke@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:55 PM, Matthew Nuzum
>> <matthew.nuzum@canonical.com> wrote:

>>> Hi, I'm fine with that and happy to help facilitate it. I'm not sure
>>> how to tackle this from a technological perspective since the start
>>> page is defined by the ubufox plugin for firefox. If you need
>>> technical details on how this works the person to talk to is asac, irl
>>> Alexander Sack and often found in #ubuntu-mozillateam on freenode.
>>
>> I've discussed this with Alexander a few times: the most likely
>> approach we've discussed is for derivatives to ship their own version
>> of ubufox, such as xubufox and kubufox. Then again, Kubuntu doesn't
>> use firefox, but konqueror, so different considerations are likely to
>> apply.
>>

> You mean that Firefox insn't installed by default in kubuntu, and not
> that it isn't used right?
> I use Kubuntu with Firefox, Konqueror, nowadays, simply doesn't work
> with many sites that i use.
>
> IMHO create a kubufox package is an interesting approach, specially if
> plugins suggestions is controlled by this, this way it would be
> possible to offer KDE native options.
>
> m 2cts
>
> KM

Hi Matthews, Antonio and all others,

I would be mostly intrested in/able to create the XHTML+CSS graphical
layout thus I definitely need some help from translation teams/a
translation guru. I will get in touch with Alexander and talk about
this. If there's anybody else interested in this, any help is still
appreciated.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:07 AM
"Pasi Lallinaho"