Old 09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Default Testers needed for Alpha 6

Hello Folks,

*We need testers for the Alpha 6 candidate pronto or it won't be released! Please visit http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Systems Release Engineer
Custom Engineering Solutions Group
Canonical OEM Services
Cell: 506-449-5899
Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Old 09-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Charlie Kravetz

Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
"Michael Casadevall"

I'm testing the amd64 livecd since we always have a shortage of amd64 testers.

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Charlie Kravetz

Old 09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Julian Burkhart

ill test the alternate i386 cd with custom partitioning, dont have a
whole drive to spare atm. might take a while... will be my first
*grins*. if all goes well i might do another one tomorrow.
greets
julian

Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
"Michael Casadevall"

Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Julian Burkhart

I just installed the alternate i386 version and played around with it a
little (in accordance with the testcase that is).
So far the only problem i encountered was the resolution set by xrandr.
In previous versions of xububtu it was set to 1600x1200 which was the
best I could ever get since we started using xrandr. My 24' display
usually supports 1920x1200px... Even after thorough searches on the net
I never got the modeline right. After the install of the alternate i386
image the resolution was set to 1152x864 which is not bearable at all.
Apart from the resolution-issue - which might even be due to
false/incorrect EDID-information sent by my monitor - I was able to
install several audio-players, keepassx, browse with thunar and firefox.
I got two empty ubufox pages on first use in firefox like the rest, but
thats already reported from what I read.
Sound worked out of the box, mp3's played fine in listen media player.
Compositing the desktop worked with mesa drivers.
Im always open for questions or further things/bugs I should test.

cheers
Julian

Old 09-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:53:34 -0300
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> We need testers for the Alpha 6 candidate pronto or it won't be released!
> Please visit http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Cody A.W. Somerville
> Software Systems Release Engineer
> Custom Engineering Solutions Group
> Canonical OEM Services
> Cell: 506-449-5899
> Email: cody.somerville@canonical.com

Installed using Intrepid-alternate-cd, but was unable to obtain a
static network connection. Using Network Manager, as soon as the DHCP
(automatic) is unchecked, the OK button greys out and does not allow
use regardless of which items I fill in. Since I use only a static IP
on my system, I could not obtain an internet connection. (Bug 185854)

The ubuntu usplash screen is still in use. (Bug 261340)

If the instructions for GRUB installation to the hard drive is
followed, using /dev/hda7 caused a fatal error. Since ubuntu and
derivatives now use SCSI drive lettering, I had to use /dev/sda7 to
install GRUB, even though the instructions at that point state that sd?
drives are iSCSI only.

I also appeared to have stalled during the installation, during Select
and Install Software. When it it 6%, the system stalled for about 9
minutes before continuing, perhaps because it was searching for the
internet? Doing Ctrl-Alt-F4, the last three items listed were:

Sep 18 20:51:58 kernel: [ 1076.132321 ] cdrom: sr0: mrw address
space DMA selected

Sep 18 20:51:59 kernel: [ 1077.164710 ] ISO 9660 Extensions:
Microsoft Joliet Level 3

Sep 18 20:51:59 kernel: [ 1077.220354 ] ISO 9660 Extensions
RRIP_1991 A

At 21:01, the system moved to 7% and continued without stalling again.

- --
Charlie Kravetz

Old 09-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Jarno Suni

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 09:53:34 -0300
"Cody A.W. Somerville" <cody-somerville@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> We need testers for the Alpha 6 candidate pronto or it won't be released!

But it is already released at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/

> Please visit http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com

Did you mean one of these?
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/xubuntu/all

--
Jarno Suni - http://iki.fi/8/
Ole hyvä ja käytä XHTML-yhteensopivaa WWW-selainta.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Charlie Kravetz

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:53:58 -0600

Old 09-19-2008, 08:01 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

> *We need testers for the Alpha 6 candidate pronto or it won't be released!

But it is already released at

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/
yea, we got the testers we needed.
*