Old 08-27-2008, 06:22 AM
Jari Rahkonen

Default Xfce 4.6-beta is now available for Intrepid users and release plans.

Michael Casadevall wrote:
> As my first task an Xubuntu developer, I've worked to package Xfce
> 4.6-beta (4.5.80) for intrepid...

I'd just like to point out that the release is an alpha, intended as a
developer preview of things they're working on. You should not expect it
to be beta quality yet and it's important to make the distinction.

Thank you for the packages though. The first real beta should be just
around the corner now AFAICT.

- Jari

Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 AM
"Michael Casadevall"

well, if I didn't just shove my foot into my mouth ;-).

We did end up with duplication of effort, since Debian started their
packaging at almost the same time, and while we finished first, it was
an unnecessary thing (although they haven't even released to
experimental yet so ...).

Anyway, I did talk to the debian-xfce maintainer, and we're going to
compare note to make sure we can get one set of packages across Debian
and Xubuntu ;-).
Michael.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM
"Cody A.W. Somerville"

Hello,

After speaking with a few Xfce developers today, I just wanted to clarify the origin, intent, and state of these packages. First off, I'd like to apologize if the impression was given that these packages were in any way an official beta release. Instead, these packages were candidate snapshots for the first alpha release for 4.6. and have since been updated to fix critical bugs. As requested by Xfce developers, I'd like to fully clarify that these packages are not of beta nor even alpha quality. The intent of these packages are to provide an easy way to test xfce 4.6 snapshots for Xubuntu developers - not users. :-)

If you have any further questions then please feel free to either reply to this list or contact me personally.

Finally, Kudos to Michael for preparing those snapshots for us.
Cheers,