Old 08-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Eddy

Default I'd love to help

Hey all,
I've used Xubuntu since 6.04 and previously used Xfce on Slackware
since ver. 8 (I think that came with Xfce 3.3...).

I have come to really like the direction this distro is going and
would love to help where I can.
What can I do?

I've got some (limited) shell scripting under my belt, I'm learning
perl by reading "Learning Perl" one.page.at.a.time, and I've done a
few svg icons that made me smile.
Where I think I could help the most is in the area of documentation.
I've a good eye for spelling and grammar (most of the time...), and
sometimes I like to think I write well.
I could be wrong on that.

Also, being on dial-up internet access, I have personally maintained a
copy of theXfce modem dialer plug-in. I hear there is no official
maintainer for it, and it's no longer a part of Xfce proper as dial-up
is going the way of the buffalo.
But if there's sufficient interest, I can test builds and make
packages, hmm?

Like most folks, I don't have acres of time, but I would be eager to
share what I have.
Any areas of this project that could use a spare set of eyes and a few
keystrokes, let me know.

Regards,
-Eddy

Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Vincent

[...]

You might want to check out xubuntu.org/devel.
--
Vincent

Old 08-26-2008, 11:07 PM
Eddy

(24/08/2008 13:47)

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:43 PM, Eddy <hpp3@lavabit.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> > I've used Xubuntu since 6.04 and previously used Xfce on Slackware
> > since ver. 8 (I think that came with Xfce 3.3...).
> >
> > I have come to really like the direction this distro is going and
> > would love to help where I can.
> > What can I do?
> >
> > I've got some (limited) shell scripting under my belt, I'm learning
> > perl by reading "Learning Perl" one.page.at.a.time, and I've done a
> > few svg icons that made me smile.
> > Where I think I could help the most is in the area of documentation.
> > I've a good eye for spelling and grammar (most of the time...), and
> > sometimes I like to think I write well.
> > I could be wrong on that.
> >
> > Also, being on dial-up internet access, I have personally maintained a
> > copy of theXfce modem dialer plug-in. I hear there is no official
> > maintainer for it, and it's no longer a part of Xfce proper as dial-up
> > is going the way of the buffalo.
> > But if there's sufficient interest, I can test builds and make
> > packages, hmm?
> >
> > Like most folks, I don't have acres of time, but I would be eager to
> > share what I have.
> > Any areas of this project that could use a spare set of eyes and a few
> > keystrokes, let me know.
> >
> > Regards,
> > -Eddy
> >

> You might want to check out xubuntu.org/devel.
> --
> Vincent

OK, thanks. I've looked there before, but it didn't seem like anything
I could immediately help with. I'll look closer this time.
-Eddy

Old 08-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Vincent

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Eddy <hpp3@lavabit.com> wrote:

> You might want to check out xubuntu.org/devel.

> --

> Vincent

OK, thanks. I've looked there before, but it didn't seem like anything

I could immediately help with. I'll look closer this time.

-Eddy

Also be sure to drop in on #xubuntu-devel on IRC and say hi. Ping cody-somerville and ask for the right people to talk to for contributing in specific areas (e.g. I believe Jim (j1m on IRC) is the person to talk to for documentation). If you speak multiple languages you might also want to help with translating, but it's better to do that upstream so other distributions also profit (for example, I help out translating Xfce).

Cheers, and be sure to ask further questions
--
Vincent