Old 08-01-2008, 12:43 AM
"Lewis"

Default Desktop becoming art

TO:* Mark Shuttleworth,

*

I agree with the fact that Linux (Ubuntu in this case)
desktops must become art. It’s been critical for me that Linux become
extremely user friendly, not only for ease of use by newbies, but also by those
who may want to try Linux but don’t have, and never will have, the
inclination to delve into the heart of the OS. All most people want the OS to
do is work and do what they want and not create nightmares when they need to
add something.

*

At this point, several Linux Distros have accomplished that
task nicely – for the most part – but the one factor that will
really make Linux stand out is the artistry of the appearance and performance
of the operating system. I like my Vista Ultimate because I can put an animated
desktop on it and still use the system (yes, icons can still be on the
desktop). The Vista Ultimate system will actually run mpg files as desktops, so
I can have my spinning planet earth or my beautiful waterfalls and still do my
work. Also, as a computer business owner, my personal desktop has impressed my
customers so much, several have said they purchase new computers and went ahead
and opted for Vista Ultimate instead of XP Pro simply because of the appearance
of my desktop.

*

I know Ubuntu can display animated desktop, but you can have
icons on the desktop at the same time, and it involves some kind of root code
line (or something like that) to make it work; and it’s really just using
a screensaver as your desktop. Not very handy, not the least bit impressive and
more trouble than most people are willing to extend. I hope the programmers
will rise to the challenge and make a way for mpg files to be used as desktop,
the way Vista does. The nice thing about that
is that I could then import my Vista mpg’s
and use them in Linux. Do that and people will be really impressed!

*

For example, have you notice how may cars a manufacturer can
sell by giving it an impressive name, a special paint job and some fancy extra
accessories? It’s still a machine with an internal combustion engine,
seats to sit in and a steering wheel, but people will parade it around like it’s
a diamond on wheels, and lots of people will jump on the band wagon to get one.
That’s what you need to do with Linux. It’s already the most
stable, and useful OS in the world, now make it look the way people want it to
look and you’ll open whole new vistas (pun intended) for Linux.

*

Also, one more thing…. Give the desktop icons and
start bars some 3D appearance and functionality. Just look at Windows (again –
especially XP and Vista) and you’ll see
what I mean. Vista does a nice job of jazzing up the progress bars, and making
the “Start” icon look really 3D… take a hint … please!

*

Love Ubuntu and will keep working with it.

*

Lewis M. Fulkerson

CowboyTech System

http://www.cowboytechsystems.com

http://www.living4thee.com

*

115 Holly St.

Perry, OK 73077

(580) 336 -7258

*

Old 08-01-2008, 01:40 AM
Perberos

A little comment:
Vista means View. (From Spanish Language)
Ubuntu Vista lol

Now, about desktop eye candy... i dont know... 3D efects can be maked
with Compiz and gtk themes ...maybe a plugin to show a mpg in the
background

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Windows+Vista+%2Bvista+aero+Full+pack?content=7042 8

sorry about my bad english. Grettings

Old 08-01-2008, 02:27 AM
jmak

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:43 PM, Lewis <puhtokie@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> [...]
> it an impressive name, a special paint job and some fancy extra accessories?
> It's still a machine with an internal combustion engine, seats to sit in and
> a steering wheel, but people will parade it around like it's a diamond on
> wheels, and lots of people will jump on the band wagon to get one. That's
> what you need to do with Linux. It's already the most stable, and useful OS
> in the world, now make it look the way people want it to look and you'll
> open whole new vistas (pun intended) for Linux.
>

> Also, one more thing…. Give the desktop icons and start bars some 3D
> appearance and functionality. Just look at Windows (again – especially XP
> and Vista) and you'll see what I mean. Vista does a nice job of jazzing up
> the progress bars, and making the "Start" icon look really 3D… take a hint …
> please!
>

> Love Ubuntu and will keep working with it.

Very good points. This is something I hope will inspire all of us to
give more priority to the visual desktop in the upcoming xubuntu
release.
Here, I would like to take the opportunity to send out a second call:
is anybody out there who has a more depth understanding about the
underlying code of the usplash and could help me implementing a new
progress bar?

Thanks,
jmak

Old 08-01-2008, 03:32 PM
"Jim Campbell"

Hi Jmak,

Here, I would like to take the opportunity to send out a second call:

is anybody out there who has a more depth understanding about the

underlying code of the usplash and could help me implementing a new

progress bar?

Thanks,

jmak
Have you checked with anyone in the ubuntu-art mailing list?* Perhaps someone on that list could be of more assistance.

Jim

Old 08-02-2008, 12:15 AM
jmak

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Jmak,
>
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Here, I would like to take the opportunity to send out a second call:
>> is anybody out there who has a more depth understanding about the
>> underlying code of the usplash and could help me implementing a new
>> progress bar?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> jmak
>
> Have you checked with anyone in the ubuntu-art mailing list? Perhaps
> someone on that list could be of more assistance.

Hi Jim,

I already did that the last year, no help.

jmak

Old 08-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Jelle de Jong

jmak wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:32 AM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jmak,
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 9:27 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Here, I would like to take the opportunity to send out a second call:
>>> is anybody out there who has a more depth understanding about the
>>> underlying code of the usplash and could help me implementing a new
>>> progress bar?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> jmak
>> Have you checked with anyone in the ubuntu-art mailing list? Perhaps
>> someone on that list could be of more assistance.
>>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I already did that the last year, no help.
>
> jmak

Hi Jmak,

And the gnome-artwork team or even fedora-artwork team?

If they don't I will personally go after it. If possible please send the
archive links of the related messages of there representing mailing-lists.

Kind regards,

Jelle