Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Xubuntu Development (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/)
-   -   aesthetics (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/130397-aesthetics.html)

jmak 07-23-2008 07:38 PM

aesthetics
 
Hello all,

Please read this article.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419

I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always
ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.

jmak

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Vincent 08-02-2008 07:01 PM

aesthetics
 
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,



Please read this article.



http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419



*I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always

ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.


The gist of that article as I see it is that not too many people should be working on Ubuntu's artwok - and those who do, should be good at it. What kind of reply do you expect here?
*


jmak



--
Vincent


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

jmak 08-02-2008 08:25 PM

aesthetics
 
On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Vincent <mailinglists@vinnl.nl> wrote:
>
>
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Please read this article.
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419
>>
>> I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always
>> ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.
>
> The gist of that article as I see it is that not too many people should be
> working on Ubuntu's artwok - and those who do, should be good at it. What
> kind of reply do you expect here?
>
>>

Vincent,

I posted this link to draw attention to the visual features that
should be given more priority in xubuntu.
One component doesn't make the desktop "pretty" (like many people
mistakenly believe, for instance wallpaper) but all the components
(usplash, gdm, theme, icons, panel, fonts) together. Like in the
symphony, every instruments have to work, in accord with each other

Yes, after so many years, they start realizing that the programmers
paradigm doesn't work in art (that everyone does a bit and at the end
put all the bits and pieces together). This method produces a horrible
patchwork.

jmak

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Vincent 08-02-2008 08:49 PM

aesthetics
 
On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Vincent <mailinglists@vinnl.nl> wrote:

>

>

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:

>>

>> Hello all,

>>

>> Please read this article.

>>

>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419

>>

>> *I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always

>> ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.

>

> The gist of that article as I see it is that not too many people should be

> working on Ubuntu's artwok - and those who do, should be good at it. What

> kind of reply do you expect here?

>

>>



Vincent,



I posted this link to draw attention to the visual features that

should be given more priority in xubuntu.

One component doesn't make the desktop "pretty" (like many people

mistakenly believe, for instance wallpaper) but all the components

(usplash, gdm, theme, icons, panel, fonts) together. Like in the

symphony, every instruments have to work, in accord with each other



Yes, after so many years, they start realizing that the programmers

paradigm doesn't work in art (that everyone does a bit and at the end

put all the bits and pieces together). This method produces a horrible

patchwork.


OK, so what do you suggest?
*


jmak


--
Vincent


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Jari Rahkonen 08-02-2008 09:33 PM

aesthetics
 
jmak kirjoitti:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Vincent <mailinglists@vinnl.nl> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Please read this article.
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419
>>>
>>> I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always
>>> ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.
>> The gist of that article as I see it is that not too many people should be
>> working on Ubuntu's artwok - and those who do, should be good at it. What
>> kind of reply do you expect here?
>>
>
> Vincent,
>
> I posted this link to draw attention to the visual features that
> should be given more priority in xubuntu.
> One component doesn't make the desktop "pretty" (like many people
> mistakenly believe, for instance wallpaper) but all the components
> (usplash, gdm, theme, icons, panel, fonts) together. Like in the
> symphony, every instruments have to work, in accord with each other
>
> Yes, after so many years, they start realizing that the programmers
> paradigm doesn't work in art (that everyone does a bit and at the end
> put all the bits and pieces together). This method produces a horrible
> patchwork.
>
> jmak
>

I don't think this is anything new or that no-one has realised this
before. The fact of the matter is that there simply aren't enough
talented volunteer artists around with the required expertise,
motivation and time to work on our beloved open source projects and distros.

This isn't a problem for the big boys with the big budgets, as they can
always hire a team of professionals to take care of the matter. Projects
like Xubuntu with few contributors and no discernible budgets can only
hope that an artist, or, even less likely, artists with the means to
contribute happen to become interested enough in the project to do so.

So as I see it, it's all a matter of resources, or more specifically the
lack of them. Not that it's a wonder that open source projects attract
more coders and users than let's say graphical artists or sound
designers. This is evidenced by the fact that to my knowledge you are
and have been the only active artist in the Xubuntu team for quite a
while. It's certainly not because artists are actively discouraged from
joining the team.

I understand that this can make you frustrated, and that you feel the
need to draw attention to the matter, but I can't see how this helps in
any way. You have pointed out problems and vague sketches of an optimal
situation, but no way to get there from here. Solutions and the
resources to implement them are what Xubuntu needs, not stating the obvious.

I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) would love to help you realise
your vision to it's full extent, if only I had the time and the talent.
Unless you can find someone who does, I have to say that this discussion
is a bit pointless. But please do not let your frustration stop you from
working on Xubuntu, as I'm sure the recent attention garnered by open
source graphical tools like Inkscape and the Gimp will eventually bring
more artistic talent to communities like this. There is certainly hope
of a brighter future on this front.


Until then, keep up the good work,

- Jari

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

jmak 08-03-2008 02:28 AM

aesthetics
 
On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> jmak kirjoitti:
>> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Vincent <mailinglists@vinnl.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hello all,
>>>>
>>>> Please read this article.
>>>>
>>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419
>>>>
>>>> I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always
>>>> ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.
>>> The gist of that article as I see it is that not too many people should be
>>> working on Ubuntu's artwok - and those who do, should be good at it. What
>>> kind of reply do you expect here?
>>>
>>
>> Vincent,
>>
>> I posted this link to draw attention to the visual features that
>> should be given more priority in xubuntu.
>> One component doesn't make the desktop "pretty" (like many people
>> mistakenly believe, for instance wallpaper) but all the components
>> (usplash, gdm, theme, icons, panel, fonts) together. Like in the
>> symphony, every instruments have to work, in accord with each other
>>
>> Yes, after so many years, they start realizing that the programmers
>> paradigm doesn't work in art (that everyone does a bit and at the end
>> put all the bits and pieces together). This method produces a horrible
>> patchwork.
>>
>> jmak
>>
>
> I don't think this is anything new or that no-one has realised this
> before. The fact of the matter is that there simply aren't enough
> talented volunteer artists around with the required expertise,
> motivation and time to work on our beloved open source projects and distros.

Hi Jari,

Good that you replied because I felt all along that my message didn't
go through due to my saying things too politely. So it is time to say
them a bit more bluntly so that the message is understood
unequivocally.

Your take on the issue is off here. It is true that not many serious
designers around but this is not due to the fact that there is not
enough interested designers; I myself met with many on the art mailing
list; but when they figure the way Ubuntu people handle visual matters
they quickly depart. The fact of the matter is that the sorry state of
Ubuntu is due to the fact that incompetent, visually illiterate people
decide on aesthetic matters. Imagine, you are a programmer, and
someone who thinks that C++ an exotic sandwich from the Caribbeans
gives you instructions of coding. Something has been happening at
Ubuntu. I spent more less two decades working on various design field
but if I have ever come up with such a visual hodgepodge like the
Ubuntu interface, I would have fired at the second day. This is the
said truth about Ubuntu; these are conditions that actually
discouraging artist to joining to the bandwagon.
But there are more to this. In general, Ubuntu people do not
understand one thing. Collaboration in art and design DOESN"T WORK; at
least not in the way it does in coding. A portrait cannot be drawn by
many artists even if these artists are geniuses. Why? Because each has
its inherent style that manifests regardless of the intentions.
Drawing a collaborative portrait would end up in a Frankenstein. The
same is true of design. Drawing on my experiences, I can say this. So
far, I haven't heard better collaboration method than the studio
paradigm. In this context, the customer and the art director hammer
out all the niceties of the design and when it does go down to
production all the details are already decided upon; after that
graphic artists simply follow the guidelines and work out the details.
This way the unity and the coherence of the design can be maintained,
of course its quality depends on the original idea and the its
execution. A unified and coherent design, even if not as brilliant in
its details, is better then a patchwork with superior items.

> So as I see it, it's all a matter of resources, or more specifically the
> lack of them. Not that it's a wonder that open source projects attract
> more coders and users than let's say graphical artists or sound
> designers. This is evidenced by the fact that to my knowledge you are
> and have been the only active artist in the Xubuntu team for quite a
> while. It's certainly not because artists are actively discouraged from
> joining the team.

Jari, this is not the matter of lack of resources but the proper
understanding of the issues involved. But now, lets talk about
xubuntu. Xubuntu development suffers from the exact same shortcomings
as Ubuntu does. Decisions are made by those who have no understanding
about design issues. You are here long enough and probably remember
that I have been advocating changes in xubuntu since almost day one.
And what happened? up until now almost all of my recommendations have
been ignored. I suggested, replacing the icon theme, cleaning up the
icons, improving the icons on the panel, changing the gtk theme,
theming the panel and so on and guess what, all of them ignored. Plain
and simple without even giving indication why. This is what
frustrating and not the lack of resources.

>
> I understand that this can make you frustrated, and that you feel the
> need to draw attention to the matter, but I can't see how this helps in
> any way. You have pointed out problems and vague sketches of an optimal
> situation, but no way to get there from here. Solutions and the
> resources to implement them are what Xubuntu needs, not stating the obvious.
>
> I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) would love to help you realise
> your vision to it's full extent, if only I had the time and the talent.
> Unless you can find someone who does, I have to say that this discussion
> is a bit pointless. But please do not let your frustration stop you from
> working on Xubuntu, as I'm sure the recent attention garnered by open
> source graphical tools like Inkscape and the Gimp will eventually bring
> more artistic talent to communities like this. There is certainly hope
> of a brighter future on this front.

If the items, I listed above could be implemented that would be a big
step toward solution. When I asked help, a few days ago, about
usplash, it was not about creating graphics but about helping figuring
out the code that perhaps could be modified in order to fix the
progress bar issue.

Again, this is not the lack of resources but the lack of vision and
understanding that retards visual development. Look at dreamlinux, I
far as I know, one developer and a graphic artist have been working on
it; and in terms of visuals, it is one of the more professionally
designed Linux distro. It worth to download it just to take a look at
it. Every little details from the progress bar to the panel, the gtk
theme, icons are fine-tuned to achieve that kind of unified desktop I
am talking about in relation to xubuntu. Maybe you don't like it
because you have a different taste, but here we don't talk about
personal preferences like children but about the particularities of a
well designed desktop.

Let's hope that putting things a bit more bluntly, the issue I am
talking about has become a bit clearer for everybody.

jmak
>
>

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Vincent 08-03-2008 10:02 AM

aesthetics
 
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 2:28 AM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> jmak kirjoitti:

>> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Vincent <mailinglists@vinnl.nl> wrote:

>>>

>>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>> Hello all,

>>>>

>>>> Please read this article.

>>>>

>>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9419

>>>>

>>>> *I have been advocating something similar since day one, but always

>>>> ignored. We need to pay more attention to xubuntu's aesthetics.

>>> The gist of that article as I see it is that not too many people should be

>>> working on Ubuntu's artwok - and those who do, should be good at it. What

>>> kind of reply do you expect here?

>>>

>>

>> Vincent,

>>

>> I posted this link to draw attention to the visual features that

>> should be given more priority in xubuntu.

>> One component doesn't make the desktop "pretty" (like many people

>> mistakenly believe, for instance wallpaper) but all the components

>> (usplash, gdm, theme, icons, panel, fonts) together. Like in the

>> symphony, every instruments have to work, in accord with each other

>>

>> Yes, after so many years, they start realizing that the programmers

>> paradigm doesn't work in art (that everyone does a bit and at the end

>> put all the bits and pieces together). This method produces a horrible

>> patchwork.

>>

>> jmak

>>

>

> I don't think this is anything new or that no-one has realised this

> before. The fact of the matter is that there simply aren't enough

> talented volunteer artists around with the required expertise,

> motivation and time to work on our beloved open source projects and distros.



Hi Jari,



Good that you replied because I felt all along that my message didn't

go through due to my saying things too politely. So it is time to say

them a bit more bluntly so that the message is understood

unequivocally.



Your take on the issue is off here. It is true that not many serious

designers around but this is not due to the fact that there is not

enough interested designers; I myself met with many on the art mailing

list; but when they figure the way Ubuntu people handle visual matters

they quickly depart. The fact of the matter is that the sorry state of

Ubuntu is due to the fact that incompetent, visually illiterate people

decide on aesthetic matters. Imagine, you are a programmer, and

someone who thinks that *C++ an exotic sandwich from the Caribbeans

gives you instructions of coding. Something has been happening at

Ubuntu. I spent more less two decades working on various design field

but if I have ever come up with such a visual hodgepodge like the

Ubuntu interface, I would have fired at the second day. This is the

said truth about Ubuntu; these are conditions that actually

discouraging artist to joining to the bandwagon.

But there are more to this. In general, Ubuntu people do not

understand one thing. Collaboration in art and design DOESN"T WORK; at

least not in the way it does in coding. A portrait cannot be drawn by

many artists even if these artists are geniuses. Why? Because each has

its inherent style that manifests regardless of the intentions.

Drawing a collaborative portrait would end up in a Frankenstein. The

same is true of design. Drawing on my experiences, I can say this. So

far, I haven't heard better collaboration method than the studio

paradigm. In this context, the customer and the art director hammer

out all the niceties of the design and when it does go down to

production all the details are already decided upon; after that

graphic artists simply follow the guidelines and work out the details.

*This way the unity and the coherence of the design can be maintained,

of course its quality depends on the original idea and the its

execution. A unified and coherent design, even if not as brilliant in

its details, is better then a patchwork with superior items.



> So as I see it, it's all a matter of resources, or more specifically the

> lack of them. Not that it's a wonder that open source projects attract

> more coders and users than let's say graphical artists or sound

> designers. This is evidenced by the fact that to my knowledge you are

> and have been the only active artist in the Xubuntu team for quite a

> while. It's certainly not because artists are actively discouraged from

> joining the team.



Jari, this is not the matter of lack of resources but the proper

understanding of the issues involved. But now, lets talk about

xubuntu. Xubuntu development suffers from the exact same shortcomings

as Ubuntu does. Decisions are made by those who have no understanding

about design issues. You are here long enough and probably remember

that I have been advocating changes in xubuntu since almost day one.

And what happened? up until now almost all of my recommendations have

been ignored. I suggested, replacing the icon theme, cleaning up the

icons, improving the icons on the panel, changing *the gtk theme,

theming the panel and so on and guess what, all of them ignored. Plain

and simple without even giving indication why. This is what

frustrating and not the lack of resources.


This still sounds like a problem with a lack of resources to me. Someone has to create and package the new icons and the panel theme, package the icon theme and gtk theme - who's supposed to do that? If I knew how to package I'd gladly be of help, as artwork is something I do care about, but unfortunately I don't know how to package. And even if I could, there still isn't a panel theme I could package since nobody has created one.

*

>

> I understand that this can make you frustrated, and that you feel the

> need to draw attention to the matter, but I can't see how this helps in

> any way. You have pointed out problems and vague sketches of an optimal

> situation, but no way to get there from here. Solutions and the

> resources to implement them are what Xubuntu needs, not stating the obvious.

>

> I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) would love to help you realise

> your vision to it's full extent, if only I had the time and the talent.

> Unless you can find someone who does, I have to say that this discussion

> is a bit pointless. But please do not let your frustration stop you from

> working on Xubuntu, as I'm sure the recent attention garnered by open

> source graphical tools like Inkscape and the Gimp will eventually bring

> more artistic talent to communities like this. There is certainly hope

> of a brighter future on this front.



If the items, I listed above could be implemented that would be a big

step toward solution. When I asked help, a few days ago, about

usplash, it was not about creating graphics but about helping figuring

out the code that perhaps could be modified in order to fix the

progress bar issue.



Again, this is not the lack of resources but the lack of vision and

understanding that retards visual development. Look at dreamlinux, I

far as I know, one developer and a graphic artist have been working on

it; and in terms of visuals, it is one of the more professionally

designed Linux distro. It worth to download it just to take a look at

it. Every little details from the progress bar to the panel, the gtk

theme, icons are *fine-tuned to achieve that kind of unified desktop I

am talking about in relation to xubuntu. Maybe you don't like it

because you have a different taste, but here we don't talk about

personal preferences like children but about the particularities of a

well designed desktop.



Let's hope that putting things a bit more bluntly, the issue I am

talking about has become a bit clearer for everybody.



jmak

--
Vincent


--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

Jari Rahkonen 08-03-2008 10:25 AM

aesthetics
 
jmak wrote:
> Hi Jari,
>
> Good that you replied because I felt all along that my message didn't
> go through due to my saying things too politely. So it is time to say
> them a bit more bluntly so that the message is understood
> unequivocally.
>
> Your take on the issue is off here. It is true that not many serious
> designers around but this is not due to the fact that there is not
> enough interested designers; I myself met with many on the art mailing
> list; but when they figure the way Ubuntu people handle visual matters
> they quickly depart. The fact of the matter is that the sorry state of
> Ubuntu is due to the fact that incompetent, visually illiterate people
> decide on aesthetic matters. Imagine, you are a programmer, and
> someone who thinks that C++ an exotic sandwich from the Caribbeans
> gives you instructions of coding.

As a professional software designer and coder I find this a bit
offensive. I for one have no trouble recognising my lack of artistic
talent. That's why we have artists like you. :)

> Something has been happening at
> Ubuntu. I spent more less two decades working on various design field
> but if I have ever come up with such a visual hodgepodge like the
> Ubuntu interface, I would have fired at the second day. This is the
> said truth about Ubuntu; these are conditions that actually
> discouraging artist to joining to the bandwagon.

I think this is a problem inherent in all community driven projects. A
large developer base is the only way to get things done if all you can
get is volunteers working in their often meager spare time, and it's
pretty hard to assemble a large developer base of volunteers if they
have no say in matters they are interested in. You can either keep a
tight ship and get less contributions or allow people to scratch their
own itches to keep them motivated and happy. The disadvantages are
obvious but hard to avoid.

Just take all those artists you say were discouraged from joining the
team. Are you sure they'd be more likely to stay if they were given
strict set of guidelines instead of being asked to pick a project
they're interested in and taking initiative? Your make it sound like
they don't want to make (X)Ubuntu prettier because it isn't already,
which to me sounds a bit daft. Do they expect a coder to come up with
those guidelines before they are even interested in contributing?

> But there are more to this. In general, Ubuntu people do not
> understand one thing. Collaboration in art and design DOESN"T WORK; at
> least not in the way it does in coding. A portrait cannot be drawn by
> many artists even if these artists are geniuses. Why? Because each has
> its inherent style that manifests regardless of the intentions.
> Drawing a collaborative portrait would end up in a Frankenstein. The
> same is true of design. Drawing on my experiences, I can say this. So
> far, I haven't heard better collaboration method than the studio
> paradigm. In this context, the customer and the art director hammer
> out all the niceties of the design and when it does go down to
> production all the details are already decided upon; after that
> graphic artists simply follow the guidelines and work out the details.
> This way the unity and the coherence of the design can be maintained,
> of course its quality depends on the original idea and the its
> execution. A unified and coherent design, even if not as brilliant in
> its details, is better then a patchwork with superior items.
>

This is all true and I'd say even obvious, but don't you see how you're
agreeing with me without ever realising it? Let's say you do this master
design document or whatever and set definite visual guidelines for the
next version of Xubuntu. What do you need to make it happen? You need a
talented volunteer with lots of time on his/her hands (or alternatively
a bunch of them) to actually help you produce the graphics and code. As
I've said many times, you need resources.

Sadly there are only so many people working on Xubuntu with only so much
free time, and they seem to have their hands full simply doing whatever
is needed to make the releases happen on time.

>> So as I see it, it's all a matter of resources, or more specifically the
>> lack of them. Not that it's a wonder that open source projects attract
>> more coders and users than let's say graphical artists or sound
>> designers. This is evidenced by the fact that to my knowledge you are
>> and have been the only active artist in the Xubuntu team for quite a
>> while. It's certainly not because artists are actively discouraged from
>> joining the team.
>
> Jari, this is not the matter of lack of resources but the proper
> understanding of the issues involved. But now, lets talk about
> xubuntu. Xubuntu development suffers from the exact same shortcomings
> as Ubuntu does. Decisions are made by those who have no understanding
> about design issues. You are here long enough and probably remember
> that I have been advocating changes in xubuntu since almost day one.
> And what happened? up until now almost all of my recommendations have
> been ignored. I suggested, replacing the icon theme, cleaning up the
> icons, improving the icons on the panel, changing the gtk theme,
> theming the panel and so on and guess what, all of them ignored. Plain
> and simple without even giving indication why. This is what
> frustrating and not the lack of resources.

Were your recommendations ignored, or was there no-one to do the work.
There's a big difference. I certainly didn't ignore them but there's
simply no way I could currently afford the spare time I'd need to help you.

You say: 'Decisions are made by those who have no understanding about
design issues' but if you think about it you'll realise that most often
these decisions have been made on the basis of whatever was the least
amount of work. Usually this means either keeping the old system or
taking whatever trickles down from upstream.

>> I understand that this can make you frustrated, and that you feel the
>> need to draw attention to the matter, but I can't see how this helps in
>> any way. You have pointed out problems and vague sketches of an optimal
>> situation, but no way to get there from here. Solutions and the
>> resources to implement them are what Xubuntu needs, not stating the obvious.
>>
>> I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) would love to help you realise
>> your vision to it's full extent, if only I had the time and the talent.
>> Unless you can find someone who does, I have to say that this discussion
>> is a bit pointless. But please do not let your frustration stop you from
>> working on Xubuntu, as I'm sure the recent attention garnered by open
>> source graphical tools like Inkscape and the Gimp will eventually bring
>> more artistic talent to communities like this. There is certainly hope
>> of a brighter future on this front.
>
> If the items, I listed above could be implemented that would be a big
> step toward solution. When I asked help, a few days ago, about
> usplash, it was not about creating graphics but about helping figuring
> out the code that perhaps could be modified in order to fix the
> progress bar issue.

And you couldn't find anyone to code for you? Isn't this exactly what
I've been saying?

> Again, this is not the lack of resources but the lack of vision and
> understanding that retards visual development.

There's a lot of people with vision, but making this vision happen is
the hard part. You know, the actual work?

> Look at dreamlinux, I
> far as I know, one developer and a graphic artist have been working on
> it; and in terms of visuals, it is one of the more professionally
> designed Linux distro. It worth to download it just to take a look at
> it. Every little details from the progress bar to the panel, the gtk
> theme, icons are fine-tuned to achieve that kind of unified desktop I
> am talking about in relation to xubuntu. Maybe you don't like it
> because you have a different taste, but here we don't talk about
> personal preferences like children but about the particularities of a
> well designed desktop.

There's always people willing to argue about matters of taste, but I
don't see that being the case here. Dreamlinux has the advantage of a
small team (or a pair, whatever) willing and able to put a lot of work
into making their distro look good. They've got the resources they need
to back up their vision.

> Let's hope that putting things a bit more bluntly, the issue I am
> talking about has become a bit clearer for everybody.
>
> jmak
>

I don't think this is or has been a matter of not understanding the
problem, but rather the lack of answers. That's probably why your mails
get few replies. What can you say when you agree but don't have a
solution? Well, obviously you can ramble on as if you had an actual
point like I've done once again, but I'm sure most sensible people would
simply not reply at all.

By the way, if you really want someone to take tight control of the
artistic side of Xubuntu, why shouldn't you be the one? Go ahead and
create that master design document with lots of pretty mockups and maybe
it will help you find whoever you need to help you. If you need coders
to realise some part of it, make sure to check the upstream mailing
lists of whatever software you need changes in. Xfce is heading quickly
towards the first alpha of 4.6, so this would be a great time to make
any and all suggestions for improvements to the visual design and
behaviour of the desktop. Any changes to the code upstream will surely
end up in Xubuntu before long. As you know, the philosophy of Xubuntu
seems to be to make as few changes to the upstream packages as possible
to minimise the maintenance workload, once again due to the lack of
resources.

- Jari

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

jd hartland 08-03-2008 10:47 AM

aesthetics
 
I just wanted to make two points about the appearance of Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

*

1. I think Xubuntu is one of the prettiest distros out there and it is part of the reason why I use it. Don't let the fact Ubuntu is trashed as being fugly make you think that Xubuntu is doing something wrong as well. Xubuntu is very polished looking. So just keep doing what you have always done.

*

2. The main reason Ubuntu is ugly is nothing to do with the lack of developers/artists and everything to do with the colour scheme used. No one says Fedora with it's professional looking blue themes is ugly, yet really the differences between one gnome desktop to the next are not that huge. What makes Ubuntu ugly is the colours. The combination of peachy skin tones, brown turd tones and bright orange tones*is just a design nightmare, but it has become so entrenched as part of the defining factor of Ubuntu that no one is willing to change it. Even Apple would struggle to make OS X look sexy if they had to use the same colour pallet as Ubuntu. Basically until Ubuntu is willing to drop the colour scheme they currently use and switch to something classy it is always going to be ugly, no matter what improvements are made to the gnome desktop.

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now!
--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel

jmak 08-03-2008 02:35 PM

aesthetics
 
On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Jari Rahkonen <jari.rahkonen@pp1.inet.fi> wrote:
> jmak wrote:
>> Hi Jari,
>>
>> Good that you replied because I felt all along that my message didn't
>> go through due to my saying things too politely. So it is time to say
>> them a bit more bluntly so that the message is understood
>> unequivocally.
>>
>> Your take on the issue is off here. It is true that not many serious
>> designers around but this is not due to the fact that there is not
>> enough interested designers; I myself met with many on the art mailing
>> list; but when they figure the way Ubuntu people handle visual matters
>> they quickly depart. The fact of the matter is that the sorry state of
>> Ubuntu is due to the fact that incompetent, visually illiterate people
>> decide on aesthetic matters. Imagine, you are a programmer, and
>> someone who thinks that C++ an exotic sandwich from the Caribbeans
>> gives you instructions of coding.
>
> As a professional software designer and coder I find this a bit
> offensive. I for one have no trouble recognising my lack of artistic
> talent. That's why we have artists like you. :)
>
>> Something has been happening at
>> Ubuntu. I spent more less two decades working on various design field
>> but if I have ever come up with such a visual hodgepodge like the
>> Ubuntu interface, I would have fired at the second day. This is the
>> said truth about Ubuntu; these are conditions that actually
>> discouraging artist to joining to the bandwagon.
>
> I think this is a problem inherent in all community driven projects. A
> large developer base is the only way to get things done if all you can
> get is volunteers working in their often meager spare time, and it's
> pretty hard to assemble a large developer base of volunteers if they
> have no say in matters they are interested in. You can either keep a
> tight ship and get less contributions or allow people to scratch their
> own itches to keep them motivated and happy. The disadvantages are
> obvious but hard to avoid.

Ubuntu is not only a community driven project but cannonical is behind
it. They have all kind of employees, from marketing manager to
programmers, of course; but no art department. This indicates to me
that visual matters are at the bottom of their priority list. And
Mark keeps dreaming about Macintosh. But that kind of prettiness wont
happen by magic neither with the current resources.
>
> Just take all those artists you say were discouraged from joining the
> team. Are you sure they'd be more likely to stay if they were given
> strict set of guidelines instead of being asked to pick a project
> they're interested in and taking initiative? Your make it sound like
> they don't want to make (X)Ubuntu prettier because it isn't already,
> which to me sounds a bit daft. Do they expect a coder to come up with
> those guidelines before they are even interested in contributing?

Here the point is: everything has a certain logic, regardless of the
circumstances. If you build a house, you cannot start with the roof,
but with the foundations, walls and so forth. If someone insists of
building the roof first, you know that this person has never built a
house before. But this can be rectified by explaining to him that the
right way building the house is by starting with the foundation. If
insists, you wont waiste your time on the project. This is the case
with graphic artists, they come, look around, register what's going on
make a few sensible recommendations and when see that nothing happens
they leave. I think many would stay if they could meaningfully
contribute to the project.

>
>> But there are more to this. In general, Ubuntu people do not
>> understand one thing. Collaboration in art and design DOESN"T WORK; at
>> least not in the way it does in coding. A portrait cannot be drawn by
>> many artists even if these artists are geniuses. Why? Because each has
>> its inherent style that manifests regardless of the intentions.
>> Drawing a collaborative portrait would end up in a Frankenstein. The
>> same is true of design. Drawing on my experiences, I can say this. So
>> far, I haven't heard better collaboration method than the studio
>> paradigm. In this context, the customer and the art director hammer
>> out all the niceties of the design and when it does go down to
>> production all the details are already decided upon; after that
>> graphic artists simply follow the guidelines and work out the details.
>> This way the unity and the coherence of the design can be maintained,
>> of course its quality depends on the original idea and the its
>> execution. A unified and coherent design, even if not as brilliant in
>> its details, is better then a patchwork with superior items.
>>
>
> This is all true and I'd say even obvious, but don't you see how you're
> agreeing with me without ever realising it? Let's say you do this master
> design document or whatever and set definite visual guidelines for the
> next version of Xubuntu. What do you need to make it happen? You need a
> talented volunteer with lots of time on his/her hands (or alternatively
> a bunch of them) to actually help you produce the graphics and code. As
> I've said many times, you need resources.
>
> Sadly there are only so many people working on Xubuntu with only so much
> free time, and they seem to have their hands full simply doing whatever
> is needed to make the releases happen on time.
>
>>> So as I see it, it's all a matter of resources, or more specifically the
>>> lack of them. Not that it's a wonder that open source projects attract
>>> more coders and users than let's say graphical artists or sound
>>> designers. This is evidenced by the fact that to my knowledge you are
>>> and have been the only active artist in the Xubuntu team for quite a
>>> while. It's certainly not because artists are actively discouraged from
>>> joining the team.
>>
>> Jari, this is not the matter of lack of resources but the proper
>> understanding of the issues involved. But now, lets talk about
>> xubuntu. Xubuntu development suffers from the exact same shortcomings
>> as Ubuntu does. Decisions are made by those who have no understanding
>> about design issues. You are here long enough and probably remember
>> that I have been advocating changes in xubuntu since almost day one.
>> And what happened? up until now almost all of my recommendations have
>> been ignored. I suggested, replacing the icon theme, cleaning up the
>> icons, improving the icons on the panel, changing the gtk theme,
>> theming the panel and so on and guess what, all of them ignored. Plain
>> and simple without even giving indication why. This is what
>> frustrating and not the lack of resources.
>
> Were your recommendations ignored, or was there no-one to do the work.
> There's a big difference. I certainly didn't ignore them but there's
> simply no way I could currently afford the spare time I'd need to help you.

Here in xubuntu, throughout the years, we couldn't come up even with
incremental improvements. And the funny thing is that many of the
improvements don't require (as far as I see, but maybe I am wrong)
that much effort and resources. To color the panel, improve the icons
on the panel, or clean up the icon labels requires no coding, because
the code is already written for that. I already published ideas and
the code requred to impelement them--for the color settings, font
color and so on and emailed it to this list numerous times, but were
always ignored.

>
> You say: 'Decisions are made by those who have no understanding about
> design issues' but if you think about it you'll realise that most often
> these decisions have been made on the basis of whatever was the least
> amount of work. Usually this means either keeping the old system or
> taking whatever trickles down from upstream.
>
>>> I understand that this can make you frustrated, and that you feel the
>>> need to draw attention to the matter, but I can't see how this helps in
>>> any way. You have pointed out problems and vague sketches of an optimal
>>> situation, but no way to get there from here. Solutions and the
>>> resources to implement them are what Xubuntu needs, not stating the obvious.
>>>
>>> I (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) would love to help you realise
>>> your vision to it's full extent, if only I had the time and the talent.
>>> Unless you can find someone who does, I have to say that this discussion
>>> is a bit pointless. But please do not let your frustration stop you from
>>> working on Xubuntu, as I'm sure the recent attention garnered by open
>>> source graphical tools like Inkscape and the Gimp will eventually bring
>>> more artistic talent to communities like this. There is certainly hope
>>> of a brighter future on this front.
>>
>> If the items, I listed above could be implemented that would be a big
>> step toward solution. When I asked help, a few days ago, about
>> usplash, it was not about creating graphics but about helping figuring
>> out the code that perhaps could be modified in order to fix the
>> progress bar issue.
>
> And you couldn't find anyone to code for you? Isn't this exactly what
> I've been saying?

No, I don't want anyone to code anything, what I wanted was to give me
some clues about the direction I should go investigating the issue and
find solution for the progress bar bug. Someone who has more in depth
understanding about the splash. Long time ago, I learned a bit about c
coding. I am far from being competent but I can read some simpler
code, so I am not completely clueless.
>
>> Again, this is not the lack of resources but the lack of vision and
>> understanding that retards visual development.
>
> There's a lot of people with vision, but making this vision happen is
> the hard part. You know, the actual work?

You know the secrete is constantly improving the details; that is what
makes winning products. As the ancient saying puts it: "Little by
little does the trick". --Aesop

jmak

>
>> Look at dreamlinux, I
>> far as I know, one developer and a graphic artist have been working on
>> it; and in terms of visuals, it is one of the more professionally
>> designed Linux distro. It worth to download it just to take a look at
>> it. Every little details from the progress bar to the panel, the gtk
>> theme, icons are fine-tuned to achieve that kind of unified desktop I
>> am talking about in relation to xubuntu. Maybe you don't like it
>> because you have a different taste, but here we don't talk about
>> personal preferences like children but about the particularities of a
>> well designed desktop.
>
> There's always people willing to argue about matters of taste, but I
> don't see that being the case here. Dreamlinux has the advantage of a
> small team (or a pair, whatever) willing and able to put a lot of work
> into making their distro look good. They've got the resources they need
> to back up their vision.
>
>> Let's hope that putting things a bit more bluntly, the issue I am
>> talking about has become a bit clearer for everybody.
>>
>> jmak
>>
>
> I don't think this is or has been a matter of not understanding the
> problem, but rather the lack of answers. That's probably why your mails
> get few replies. What can you say when you agree but don't have a
> solution? Well, obviously you can ramble on as if you had an actual
> point like I've done once again, but I'm sure most sensible people would
> simply not reply at all.
>
> By the way, if you really want someone to take tight control of the
> artistic side of Xubuntu, why shouldn't you be the one? Go ahead and
> create that master design document with lots of pretty mockups and maybe
> it will help you find whoever you need to help you. If you need coders
> to realise some part of it, make sure to check the upstream mailing
> lists of whatever software you need changes in. Xfce is heading quickly
> towards the first alpha of 4.6, so this would be a great time to make
> any and all suggestions for improvements to the visual design and
> behaviour of the desktop. Any changes to the code upstream will surely
> end up in Xubuntu before long. As you know, the philosophy of Xubuntu
> seems to be to make as few changes to the upstream packages as possible
> to minimise the maintenance workload, once again due to the lack of
> resources.
>
> - Jari
>
> --
> xubuntu-devel mailing list
> xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel
>

--
xubuntu-devel mailing list
xubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-devel


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.