-   -   Xubuntu Intrepid Alpha 2 informal test (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-development/129419-xubuntu-intrepid-alpha-2-informal-test.html)

"Jeff Hanson" 07-22-2008 03:24 AM

Xubuntu Intrepid Alpha 2 informal test

i386 Alternate CD
HP Pavilion XG823 desktop, Celeron 700, 256MB, Nvidia MX440
All updates as of 20080721 installed via apt-get.

Testing New Versions link at top of page doesn't jump:
http://www.xubuntu.org/devel#testing
Testing section says "see the Community Testing page" which doesn't exist:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Community

Favorite bug: bug# 247120 (dri2 missing)

Ghost line appeared in splash (picture attached).

Movie player couldn't open 128-bit mp3 stream from Radio Wazee
(http://wazee.org). Made several attempts. It does open the pls file
and add the channels to the playlist. VLC succeeded. Manually
installed liblame, gstreamer bad/ugly plugins, etc.

"Create archive" in Thunar resulted in blank window after archive type
selection (xsession-errors and screenshot attached).

Quick search box in Synaptic is non-functional.

Gnash doesn't play anything on Youtube but the interactive chart on
this page works:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/linux/windows-server-tco.mspx
If Gnash depends on DRI2 then that could be the problem.

System Monitor crashes when I select the File Systems tab
(xsession-errors attached).

This is an informal test as I was just trying to verify that XFCE
doesn't support the XDG menu specification correctly in regards to
user submenu configurations. This makes applications installed by
Wine end up in the "Other" submenu, including Wine Notepad which is
included with the Wine package (screenshot attached). Same problem in
Hardy. How is anyone going to believe that XFCE is a cheap Gnome
clone when it can't even get the menus correct? :D

Charlie Kravetz 07-22-2008 02:34 PM

Jeff Hanson wrote:
> i386 Alternate CD
> HP Pavilion XG823 desktop, Celeron 700, 256MB, Nvidia MX440
> All updates as of 20080721 installed via apt-get.
>
> Testing New Versions link at top of page doesn't jump:
> http://www.xubuntu.org/devel#testing
> Testing section says "see the Community Testing page" which doesn't exist:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Community
>
> Favorite bug: bug# 247120 (dri2 missing)
>
> Ghost line appeared in splash (picture attached).
>
> Movie player couldn't open 128-bit mp3 stream from Radio Wazee
> (http://wazee.org). Made several attempts. It does open the pls file
> and add the channels to the playlist. VLC succeeded. Manually
> installed liblame, gstreamer bad/ugly plugins, etc.
>
> "Create archive" in Thunar resulted in blank window after archive type
> selection (xsession-errors and screenshot attached).
>
> Quick search box in Synaptic is non-functional.
>
> Gnash doesn't play anything on Youtube but the interactive chart on
> this page works:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/linux/windows-server-tco.mspx
> If Gnash depends on DRI2 then that could be the problem.
>
> System Monitor crashes when I select the File Systems tab
> (xsession-errors attached).
>
> This is an informal test as I was just trying to verify that XFCE
> doesn't support the XDG menu specification correctly in regards to
> user submenu configurations. This makes applications installed by
> Wine end up in the "Other" submenu, including Wine Notepad which is
> included with the Wine package (screenshot attached). Same problem in
> Hardy. How is anyone going to believe that XFCE is a cheap Gnome
> clone when it can't even get the menus correct? :D

Thanks for trying to make Xubuntu better. The website is being reviewed
and will be corrected. Here is a correct link to the testing page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing

It will even more if you report the results of you testing here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing/TestingInfo
so that the other testers know to watch for these issues.

Could you file bug reports on these issues if there aren't any? This
lets the developers see what is happening and helps them know what to fix.

Xubuntu with Xfce has never tried to be a clone of the gnome desktop.
Rather, it is a separate entity that may use some of gnome's software
when it fits the mission.

The Xubuntu development team defines the mission of Xubuntu in the
following statement:

<quote>
* The goal of Xubuntu is to produce an easy to use distribution, based
on Ubuntu, using Xfce as the graphical desktop, with a focus on
integration, usability and performance, with a particular focus on low
memory footprint. The integration in Xubuntu is at a configuration
level, a toolkit level, and matching the underlying technology beneath
the desktop in Ubuntu. Xubuntu will be built and developed as part of
the wider Ubuntu community, based around the ideals and values of Ubuntu.

Xfce4 is a lightweight desktop environment. Designed for productivity,
it loads and executes applications quickly, while conserving system
resources. Xfce4 has been supported in Ubuntu's universe since Hoary. In
2006, Xubuntu was born as a sibling of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu.
<end quote>

- --
Charlie Kravetz

"Jeff Hanson" 07-24-2008 02:33 AM

Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> Thanks for trying to make Xubuntu better. The website is being reviewed and will be corrected. Here is a correct link to the testing page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing

Noted.

> It will even more if you report the results of you testing here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Testing/TestingInfo
> so that the other testers know to watch for these issues.

Maybe next time. The tracker is at Alpha 3 and I have to deploy the
system with Hardy soon.

> Could you file bug reports on these issues if there aren't any? This lets the developers see what is happening and helps them know what to fix.

The Totem problem went away with more updates. I added Gnome to test
bug #251337 (shutdown problem with ssh session active) and found that
Gnome's mixer insisted on routing everything to the on-board piezo
while XFCE worked correctly. (bug #251350).

After adding ubuntu-desktop I don't have a splash screen anymore.
Problem solved. :D

The create archive problem also disappeared. I don't know if it's
from an update or by adding ubunutu-desktop some dependency was fixed.

Synaptic quick search problem previously reported as bug 244619.

System Monitor File System tab crash went away.

> Xubuntu with Xfce has never tried to be a clone of the gnome desktop.

I was joking. I observed the flame war a few months ago that Jono
helped resolve so I know all about it.

The XDG implementation problem affecting Wine is bug 250684.

Vincent 08-02-2008 06:51 PM

2008/7/22 Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi@gmail.com>

i386 Alternate CD

HP Pavilion XG823 desktop, Celeron 700, 256MB, Nvidia MX440

All updates as of 20080721 installed via apt-get.

Testing New Versions link at top of page doesn't jump:

http://www.xubuntu.org/devel#testing

Testing section says "see the Community Testing page" which doesn't exist:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/CommunityHi, I've updated the website; could you report the other bugs at bugs.ubuntu.com? Thanks.

(I've noticed the ghost throbber myself too btw)
--
Vincent

"Cody A.W. Somerville" 08-07-2008 10:01 PM

Xubuntu Intrepid Alpha 2 informal test

Hi Jeff,

*Big thanks for this report. It is greatly appreciated and indeed useful :-)

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:24 AM, Jeff Hanson <jhansonxi@gmail.com> wrote:

i386 Alternate CD

HP Pavilion XG823 desktop, Celeron 700, 256MB, Nvidia MX440

All updates as of 20080721 installed via apt-get.

Testing New Versions link at top of page doesn't jump:

http://www.xubuntu.org/devel#testing
Good catch.

Thanks for fixing Vincent. :-)
*

Testing section says "see the Community Testing page" which doesn't exist:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/Community
See above.

Favorite bug: *bug# 247120 (dri2 missing)
This bug was fixed in the package xorg-server - 2:1.4.99.906-1ubuntu1

Please confirm.

Ghost line appeared in splash (picture attached).
I've seen that too. I'll look for it again next reboot. Lets make a note to double check on this after we upload the new usplash theme.

Lionel, Gauvain: Could either of you upload the new usplash theme? I'm not particular familiar with it. If you could document the procedure on the wiki somewhere, that would be great. If it is super simple, just give me a good head kick on IRC SVP.

Movie player couldn't open 128-bit mp3 stream from Radio Wazee

(http://wazee.org). *Made several attempts. *It does open the pls file

and add the channels to the playlist. *VLC succeeded. *Manually

installed liblame, gstreamer bad/ugly plugins, etc.

"Create archive" in Thunar resulted in blank window after archive type

selection (xsession-errors and screenshot attached).
I hate to say this but could you try again now? I think we'll find we're lucky and it is fixd now :-)

Quick search box in Synaptic is non-functional.
I can confirm this. This appears to be intentionally.

I'll seed apt-xapian-index so that we'll get this functionality since we don't have an issue with cd space atm.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/250524

Gnash doesn't play anything on Youtube but the interactive chart on

this page works:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/compare/linux/windows-server-tco.mspx

If Gnash depends on DRI2 then that could be the problem.
Could you please file a bug? There appears to be useful info in xsession-errors_sysmon.
*
System Monitor crashes when I select the File Systems tab

(xsession-errors attached).
This doesn't occur for me. Can you try again? :-)
*
This is an informal test as I was just trying to verify that XFCE

doesn't support the XDG menu specification correctly in regards to

user submenu configurations. *This makes applications installed by

Wine end up in the "Other" submenu, including Wine Notepad which is

included with the Wine package (screenshot attached). *Same problem in

Hardy. *How is anyone going to believe that XFCE is a cheap Gnome

clone when it can't even get the menus correct? :D
haha :P Well, we're hoping this will be fixed for Intrepid in Xfce 4.6 :]
*

Cody A.W. Somerville
Software Engineer
Red Cow Marketing & Technologies, Inc.