Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 PM
"Jim Campbell"

Default Test the working GDM beta

Hi All,

I've put together a working GDM based on Jozsef's artwork samples.* You can download and use the tar.gz gdm theme archive from the Intrepid Artwork wiki page [1].

I've also put up a theme (screenshots on the same page) that I've worked on.* It isn't finished, so thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Jim
[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid

Old 07-13-2008, 04:54 AM
jmak

On 7/12/08, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've put together a working GDM based on Jozsef's artwork samples. You can
> download and use the tar.gz gdm theme archive from the Intrepid Artwork wiki
> page [1].
>
> I've also put up a theme (screenshots on the same page) that I've worked on.
> It isn't finished, so thoughts, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Hello Jim,

Nice work. I like it. I have one comment though. We have to decide,
right now that we continue with the traditional design, or join in
with unbuntu and kubuntu and choose a flat design. Those who don't
know the differences here is a mockup that explains.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6897/flatnotflatlv7.png

The main point with the flat design is not that trendy but rather it
is more efficient from the visual point of view because it eliminates
as much visual noises as possible.
Note to everybody: we dont talk about personal preferences here but
visual efficiency, unity and coherence of the desktop. If you comment
please dont say, I like it or I dont like. Those are not arguments.

One more thing, the icons. Are we ever going to get rid of the tango
icons? There are some icon themes on the wiki, what do you think about
them?

jmak

Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 AM
"Jim Campbell"

Nice work. I like it. I have one comment though. We have to decide,

right now that we continue with the traditional design, or join in

with unbuntu and kubuntu and choose a flat design. Those who don't

know the differences here is a mockup that explains.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6897/flatnotflatlv7.png

The main point with the flat design is not that trendy but rather it

is more efficient from the visual point of view because it eliminates

as much visual noises as possible.

Note to everybody: we dont talk about personal preferences here but

visual efficiency, unity and coherence of the desktop. If you comment

please dont say, I like it or I dont like. Those are not arguments.

I do like the visual coherency that ubuntu is taking.* i tried using a blended-gtk wm theme (which provides that coherency / lack of gradient), but it doesn't feature all of the xfwm4 buttons, and I wanted to use a native xfwm4 window manager theme to accomodate all of the available wm buttons.

I liked the slender and clean aspects of the daolo xfwm4 theme, but would prefer something that wasn't quite as bubbly, and something that could provide a gradient-free appearance - it's just that it's not as easy to create a wm theme as it is to modify the murrina theme elements (just editing the gtkrc file).* We've got some time, though, we can figure something out.

*

One more thing, the icons. Are we ever going to get rid of the tango

icons? There are some icon themes on the wiki, what do you think about

them?

I haven't tried to install all of them.* I tried downloading the black-white iconset, but it didn't get picked up by the desktop appearance app after I had extracted the tarball to my .themes folder.* I had just selected the tango-noir icon set for that snapshot as the colors of the icons seemed complimentary to the rest of the theme that I had cobbled together.** I do see tango-noir as being different from the regular tango icon set that we've had for the past several releases - I mean, at least the color scheme is different, and some of the actual icons (i.e., trash) are different, too.

If you have any hex codes for the color elements that you've been using* in your desings, could you post them to the wiki, perhaps as a sub-page to the /incoming page that is set up to display the sample artwork right now?* It would be good to have those available as common elements, so that no other contributors are reinventing the wheel in working on color schemes.

Thanks, Jmak!

Jim

Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 AM
"Jim Campbell"

I haven't tried to install all of them.* I tried downloading the black-white iconset, but it didn't get picked up by the desktop appearance app after I had extracted the tarball to my .themes folder.*

Oops, I meant, ~/.icons folder.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
jmak

On 7/13/08, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 11:54 PM, jmak <jozmak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Jim,
> >
> > Nice work. I like it. I have one comment though. We have to decide,
> > right now that we continue with the traditional design, or join in
> > with unbuntu and kubuntu and choose a flat design. Those who don't
> > know the differences here is a mockup that explains.
> >

> http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6897/flatnotflatlv7.png
> >
> > The main point with the flat design is not that trendy but rather it
> > is more efficient from the visual point of view because it eliminates
> > as much visual noises as possible.
> > Note to everybody: we dont talk about personal preferences here but
> > visual efficiency, unity and coherence of the desktop. If you comment
> > please dont say, I like it or I dont like. Those are not arguments.
> >

> I do like the visual coherency that ubuntu is taking. i tried using a
> blended-gtk wm theme (which provides that coherency / lack of gradient), but
> it doesn't feature all of the xfwm4 buttons, and I wanted to use a native
> xfwm4 window manager theme to accomodate all of the available wm buttons.

Jim,

Did you try the katiola window decoration? That is flat and have all
the button functionality. Could you try modifying the theme, just to
see, by changing the menu toolbar back to gray, like the rest and
using the katiola window decorator.

jmak