Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM
Matthew Lye

Default Greetings

Take a look into LTSP with Edubuntu.
Its designed to have a single computer running the core system files with a classroom of dumb terminals connecting into it.-Matthew Lye

You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision, determination, and and endless supply of expendable labor.
<No trees were harmed during this transmission. However, a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced>

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Andreas N. Hagen <andreas.hagen@vodafone.co.nz> wrote:

Hello everyone,
*
My name is Andreas.
*
I am an educator teaching Information Technology to
a class of 50.
I work at a vocational institute teaching at a
tertiary level.
*
If there is anyone with experience setting up a
virtual classroom please contact me.
*
We are currently looking to setup 50 virtual
computers hooked up to a primary server, just wondering if there is a cheaper
way to do this with Ubuntu.
*
Greetings to all,
Andreas Hagen

Old 03-27-2010, 03:00 PM
David Groos

Hey Andreas - I think there are a lot of people on this list who have set up and managed virtual classrooms, that is, assuming you mean 'thin client' when you say, 'virtual'. *What kind of info are you looking for? *I've been running one for 1.5 years and I'm only looking forward. *There are challenges to it but then there are challenges to any network and I'd rather solve those challenges involved with a great, open source system such as the one created/maintained by Edubuntu, Ubuntu and others.
You've come to the right place for help, and you might want to join/post to the Edubuntu-users list as well. *There's a good bit of overlap in the two groups (I wonder what percent?) but they still have their own missions.
Good luck,David
On Mar 27, 2010, at 6:44 AM, Matthew Lye wrote:Take a look into LTSP with Edubuntu.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Kari Matthews

I did not set up a thin client computer lab. *Rather, we had Edubuntu workstations and a Ubuntu server. *(I had more hardware to work with.) *It was really a nice setup. *Edubuntu is, IMHO, really an excellent, low cost tool for schools who are willing to take the Microsoft blinders off. *

I'd be happy to post instructions for logging in to the server from the workstation and having students save work on the server.
~kari

Old 03-27-2010, 05:51 PM
David Groos

I wonder how, given sufficient/identical hardware specs, the set up and running of a thin-client server/lab compares with running a standard server/client setup. *I know that each has some benefits relative to the other. *
I guess my question is, if you have good enough hardware, would it still be worth-your-while creating a thin client setup? *I suppose that the answer to this question changes as more powerful hardware gets displaced (and thus re-used in thin clients) and as more modern versions of Ubuntu come along with easier and more versatile setup: a complex and dynamic equation!
Thoughts anyone?

David
On Mar 27, 2010, at 1:15 PM, Kari Matthews wrote:I did not set up a thin client computer lab. *Rather, we had Edubuntu workstations and a Ubuntu server. *(I had more hardware to work with.) *It was really a nice setup. *Edubuntu is, IMHO, really an excellent, low cost tool for schools who are willing to take the Microsoft blinders off. *