Old 06-01-2008, 04:13 PM
"Osman Kemal Kadiroğlu"

Default scanner

Hi,

I just installed a Samsung CLX2160 scanner/color laser
printer to my AMD64/Kubuntu8 computer. I have no problem with the
printer but somehow scanner does not work. Xsane does not see the
scanner. Splix is already installed. The Samsung Unified Driver
Configurator does not detect the scanner. What should I do?

Many thanks for the help.

Best Regards
--
Osman Kemal Kadiroglu

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
NoOp

On 06/01/2008 09:13 AM, Osman Kemal Kadiroğlu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed a Samsung CLX2160 scanner/color laser printer to my
> AMD64/Kubuntu8 computer. I have no problem with the printer but somehow
> scanner does not work. Xsane does not see the scanner. Splix is already
> installed. The Samsung Unified Driver Configurator does not detect the
> scanner. What should I do?
>
> Many thanks for the help.
>
> Best Regards

Perhaps this will help:

<http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=2fce7a22c374c24e3c402078d4c8ef8b& t=680756&highlight=Samsung+CLX-2160N>

Old 09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
norman

My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1

Thanks

Norman

Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 01:30:50PM +0100, norman wrote:
> My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1

I think a little more information would help, e.g.:-

What are you going to use the scanner for?
What is your budget?
What computer hardware are you using?

--
Chris Green

Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM
norman

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 01:30:50PM +0100, norman wrote:
> > My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> > replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> > any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1
> >
> I think a little more information would help, e.g.:-
>
> What are you going to use the scanner for?

Mostly for scanning text and the occasional photographic print.

> What is your budget?

Up to about 50 UK pounds

> What computer hardware are you using?

Own build desktop computer.

Norman

Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Chris G

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 02:44:46PM +0100, norman wrote:

> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 01:30:50PM +0100, norman wrote:
> > > My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> > > replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> > > any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1
> > >
> > I think a little more information would help, e.g.:-
> >
> > What are you going to use the scanner for?
>
> Mostly for scanning text and the occasional photographic print.
>
> > What is your budget?
>
> Up to about 50 UK pounds
>
> > What computer hardware are you using?
>
> Own build desktop computer.

I think I'd say go for an Epson scanner that's within your budget but
I'm not *really* in touch with what works best for Linux. I run an
Epson scanner but in a Vmware virtual windows machine on my Linux
system. It's one of the two things I keep the Vmware Windows
installation for.

--
Chris Green

Old 09-15-2008, 03:15 PM
NoOp

On 09/15/2008 05:30 AM, norman wrote:
> My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> Thanks
>
> Norman

See:
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/printing/C/scanning.html

Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM
norman

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 08:15 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 09/15/2008 05:30 AM, norman wrote:
> > My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> > replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> > any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1

> See:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/printing/C/scanning.html

Thank you.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:15 PM
"Preston Hagar"

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM, norman <norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> Thanks
>
> Norman

I have a Brother mfc 5440 that I like quite a bit. It is an "all in
one" that has built in networking, an Auto document feeder for the
scanner, fax capabilities, and cheap widely available ink. I think I
paid about $40 US for a referbished one. Here is the manufacturer
page:

http://solutions.brother.com/mfc5440cn_all/en_us/

Mine has support for Linux from Brother. I actually have it setup
where I can hit 3 keys and it scans a document as a tiff file to a
samba share on my file server at my house. (It could also do PDFs,
but the tiffs seemed to come out better). When you scan, you can
choose "file", "image", "text/ocr", or a fourth option I can't seem to
remember right now. The nice thing is that the Linux software Brother
has for it basically runs a listening daemon for the scanner and then
runs one of four scripts depending on which option you chose. I have
it scan to a tiff for "file" and put it in a "files" directory and
have it scan to a jpeg for "image" and put it in a "pictures"
directory. The other nice thing about it is that I was able to get
ink (off-brand) for about $7 (US) to replace all 4 ink cartridges
(black, magenta, cyan, yellow).

The brother daemon is called brscan2:

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/download_scn.html

Here is the list of printers that it supports

DCP-110C DCP-115C DCP-116C DCP-117C DCP-120C DCP-130C DCP-135C
DCP-150C DCP-153C DCP-155C DCP-157C DCP-310CN DCP-315CN DCP-330C
DCP-340CW DCP-350C DCP-353C DCP-357C DCP-540CN DCP-560CN DCP-7010
DCP-7020 DCP-7025 DCP-750CW DCP-770CW DCP-8060 DCP-8065DN DCP-9040CN
DCP-9045CDN MFC-210C MFC-215C MFC-230C MFC-235C MFC-240C MFC-260C
MFC-265C MFC-3240C MFC-3340CN MFC-3360C MFC-410CN MFC-420CN MFC-425CN
MFC-440CN MFC-465CN MFC-5440CN MFC-5460CN MFC-5840CN MFC-5860CN MFC-620CN
MFC-640CW MFC-660CN MFC-665CW MFC-680CN MFC-685CW MFC-7220 MFC-7225N
MFC-7420 MFC-7820N MFC-820CW MFC-845CW MFC-8460N MFC-8660DN MFC-885CW
MFC-8860DN MFC-8870DW MFC-9440CN MFC-9840CDW

One of the ones in the list can be had (in the US at least) at Staples
for $30 (US):

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=734010

Anyway, probably any of the models on that list should be fine. I
found the brscan software pretty easy to work with. I haven't used it
to print to from Linux much, but I would expect that it shouldn't be
much trouble.

Hope this helps,

Preston

Old 09-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Jim Smith

norman wrote:
> My scanner is not performing as well as it should and I am thinking of
> replacing it. I would welcome any suggestions, based on experience, that
> any one wishes to make. I use Ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> Thanks
>
> Norman

I have had good fortune with a Canon LiDE 60. Runs off of the USB and is
supported by SANE.

YMMV

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............