-   -   Problem with sudo (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/98782-problem-sudo.html)

"Sameera Shaakunthala" 06-01-2008 02:22 PM

Problem with sudo

When I try to use sudo in the terminal, it gives an error message saying "sudo: unable to resolve host shaakunthala-laptop"
shaakunthala-laptop is the computer name.
But the problem does not arise when the computer is connect to the network.

Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?

Thank you!

* Shaakunthala
--
..:Sameera Shaakunthala:..

Wade Smart 06-01-2008 02:29 PM

Problem with sudo

20080601 0929 GMT-6

When you click on the terminal, what is written on the screen?

Mine is: wadesmart@wadesmart:~$

Wade

Wade Smart 06-01-2008 03:03 PM

Problem with sudo

mike 06-01-2008 03:19 PM

Problem with sudo

Avi Greenbury 06-01-2008 03:33 PM

Problem with sudo

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:22:37 +0000
"Sameera Shaakunthala" <shaakunthala@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I try to use sudo in the terminal, it gives an error message saying
> "sudo: unable to resolve host shaakunthala-laptop"
> shaakunthala-laptop is the computer name.
> But the problem does not arise when the computer is connect to the network.

Does shaakunthala-laptop exist in your /etc/hosts file? It should point at 127.0.0.1

--
Avi Greenbury

"Sameera Shaakunthala" 06-01-2008 04:37 PM

Problem with sudo

Thank you for* your replies...

Sorry, I forgot to tell how the initial terminal prompt goes,
shaakunthala@shaakunthala-laptop:~$

Avi Greenbury's solution worked -- thanks Avi :)
in this file, it was somehow shaakunthala-laptop.mshome.net pointed to 127.0.0.1

that's because i connect this laptop to a Windows network
Thank you very much... !
Now I have to do is to log in as root (recovery mode) and vi /etc/hosts

--
..:Sameera Shaakunthala:..

Brendan Strunk 06-01-2008 08:38 PM

Problem with sudo

If you're trying to set it up on a laptop you actually need to do it on a desktop computer with ubuntu installed

Avi Greenbury 06-01-2008 08:43 PM

Problem with sudo

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:38:13 -0700
Brendan Strunk <bwstrunk@hotmail.com> wrote:

> If you're trying to set it up on a laptop you actually need to do it on a desktop computer with ubuntu installed

What?

Also, I keep getting your emails coming through with no line breaks.

--
Avi Greenbury

Ralf Mardorf 12-26-2009 12:21 AM

Problem with sudo

Hi :)

in a script I want to set a value by "echo 1024 >
/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq".
This is fine when I manually run "sudo -i", followed by writing the
value, but not if I try to do it in one line, resp. in a script.

spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/Desktop$ cat /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
64
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/Desktop$ sudo echo 1024 >
/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq

bash: /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq: Permission denied
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/Desktop$ sudo -i echo 1024 >
/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq

bash: /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq: Permission denied
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/Desktop$ sudo -i
root@64studio:~# echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
root@64studio:~# logout
spinymouse-sudo@64studio:~/Desktop$ cat /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
1024

Any hints are welcome!

Cheers,
Ralf

#!/bin/sh
# As user run this script by: sh start-session

song_version="[snip]"
hpet_max_user_freq=1024
song_info="

################################################## ####################

# Project/ song: /mnt/music/[snip]/"$song_version"

# Dec/26/2009 Ralf Mardorf

# ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl dot net

#

# License for all artwork in the folder /[snip]:

# Creative Commons

# by-nc-sa = Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike

# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

# Namensnennung-NichtKommerziell-Weitergabe unter gleichen Bedingungen

# http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/de/

################################################## ####################
"

if [ $USER = "root" ] ; then echo "
Only a user is allowed to run this script :)
" ; exit 0 ; fi
echo "
Restoring session :)"
echo $song_info
sudo chgrp audio /dev/hpet
echo "/etc/sysctl.conf"
echo -n "dev.hpet.max-user-freq Value="
cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep dev.hpet.max-user-freq=
echo "
"
echo -n "/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq Value="
cat /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
echo "
Make sure that the value is set to "$hpet_max_user_freq
sudo echo $hpet_max_user_freq >/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
echo
echo -n "/proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq Value="
cat /proc/sys/dev/hpet/max-user-freq
sudo modprobe snd-hrtimer
echo "
jackd -Rch -dalsa -dhw:0 -r96000 -p512 -n2 -Xseq"
jackd -Rch -dalsa -dhw:0 -r96000 -p512 -n2 -Xseq &
qtractor
exit 0

Gustin Johnson 12-26-2009 05:08 AM

Problem with sudo