Old 12-01-2007, 04:12 AM
Willis

Default Install?

I have downloaded a bible program and a game I wish to install. Both
are Ubuntu compatible and both have been extracted from the .tar and
placed in my home directory. In the Terminal, when I tried to install
the KJV Bible I received th message to type install --help and below is
the message I received. It's interesting but It's Greek to me also.

can anyone help a windows freak transition?

<my_name>@<my_computer>:~$ install --help
Usage: install [OPTION]... [-T] SOURCE DEST
or: install [OPTION]... SOURCE... DIRECTORY
or: install [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY SOURCE...
or: install [OPTION]... -d DIRECTORY...
In the first three forms, copy SOURCE to DEST or multiple SOURCE(s) to
the existing DIRECTORY, while setting permission modes and owner/group.
In the 4th form, create all components of the given DIRECTORY(ies).

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
--backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file
-b like --backup but does not accept an argument
-c (ignored)
-d, --directory treat all arguments as directory names; create all
components of the specified directories
-D create all leading components of DEST except the last,
then copy SOURCE to DEST
-g, --group=GROUP set group ownership, instead of process' current group
-m, --mode=MODE set permission mode (as in chmod), instead of
rwxr-xr-x
-o, --owner=OWNER set ownership (super-user only)
-p, --preserve-timestamps apply access/modification times of SOURCE
files
to corresponding destination files
-s, --strip strip symbol tables
-S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix
-t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY copy all SOURCE arguments into DIRECTORY
-T, --no-target-directory treat DEST as a normal file
-v, --verbose print the name of each directory as it is created
-P, --preserve_context (SELinux) Preserve security context
-Z, --context=CONTEXT (SELinux) Set security context of files and
directories
--help display this help and exit
--version output version information and exit

The backup suffix is `~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX.
The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or
through
the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values:

none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given)
numbered, t make numbered backups
existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise
simple, never always make simple backups

Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>.
<my_name>@<my_computer>:~$

Old 12-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Caleb Marcus

[...]

You shouldn't be installing it from files downloaded from a website. Delete those files, and run this command: sudo aptitude install bible-kjv

This will download the correct version from the Ubuntu servers and automatically install it in the correct location.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:47 AM
anthony baldwin

Willis wrote:
> I have downloaded a bible program and a game I wish to install. Both
> are Ubuntu compatible and both have been extracted from the .tar and
> placed in my home directory. In the Terminal, when I tried to install
> the KJV Bible I received th message to type install --help and below is
> the message I received. It's interesting but It's Greek to me also.
>
> can anyone help a windows freak transition?

for Bible software, in terminal do
sudo apt-get update
then do
sudo apt-get install bibletime
and/or do
sudo apt-get install gnome-sword

More info on the programs:
gnome-sword: http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/
Bible time: http://www.bibletime.info/

Alternatively, open the program, synaptic, or the program, adept,
and find either bibletime or gnome-sword (or both) and mark for install.

I would need to know more about what's happening with your tarball
excursion to have a clue.
Are they gzipped tarballs (filename.tar.gz)?
Did you extract them from both tar and gz?
Did they have an install script?
Perhaps you need to do make before install.
I would recommend you use apt, (or synaptic or adept) and install
the Bible software mentioned above from the .debs in our repos.
Much easier.

good luck,
tony

--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

Old 12-01-2007, 05:23 AM
Willis

anthony baldwin wrote:
> Willis wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded a bible program and a game I wish to install. Both
>> are Ubuntu compatible and both have been extracted from the .tar and
>> placed in my home directory. In the Terminal, when I tried to install
>> the KJV Bible I received th message to type install --help and below is
>> the message I received. It's interesting but It's Greek to me also.
>>
>> can anyone help a windows freak transition?
>>

> for Bible software, in terminal do
> sudo apt-get update
> then do
> sudo apt-get install bibletime
> and/or do
> sudo apt-get install gnome-sword
>
> More info on the programs:
> gnome-sword: http://gnomesword.sourceforge.net/
> Bible time: http://www.bibletime.info/
>
> Alternatively, open the program, synaptic, or the program, adept,
> and find either bibletime or gnome-sword (or both) and mark for install.
>
> I would need to know more about what's happening with your tarball
> excursion to have a clue.
> Are they gzipped tarballs (filename.tar.gz)?
> Did you extract them from both tar and gz?
> Did they have an install script?
> Perhaps you need to do make before install.
> I would recommend you use apt, (or synaptic or adept) and install
> the Bible software mentioned above from the .debs in our repos.
> Much easier.
>
> good luck,
> tony

Thanks Tony. I have the Gnome Bible and it is not satisfactory at all
for serious work and when I apt-get the Bibletime the Adept Manager
reports it is unable to find it.

As for the ter balls I have unzipped them to files and found nothing to
install them with and I just put them into a directory to wait for an
answer.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:31 AM
Caleb Marcus

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 00:23 -0600, Willis wrote:

Thanks Tony. I have the Gnome Bible and it is not satisfactory at all
for serious work and when I apt-get the Bibletime the Adept Manager
reports it is unable to find it.

As for the ter balls I have unzipped them to files and found nothing to
install them with and I just put them into a directory to wait for an
answer.

What game, and what's the name of the bible program?

Old 12-01-2007, 06:00 AM
Willis

Caleb Marcus wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 00:23 -0600, Willis wrote:
>> Thanks Tony. I have the Gnome Bible and it is not satisfactory at all
>> for serious work and when I apt-get the Bibletime the Adept Manager
>> reports it is unable to find it.
>>
>> As for the ter balls I have unzipped them to files and found nothing to
>> install them with and I just put them into a directory to wait for an
>> answer.
>>

> What game, and what's the name of the bible program?
Ubuntu Linux Bible and Flight Gear-0.9.10. Please bear with me and help
me learn what to do with a tar ball and do not try to teach me the local
idiot way of doing this. I know Windows inside out and I am abandoning
MS in favor of Linux and I'm not the type that ever trys to insist that
everything be perfectly simple. I enjoy a challenge.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Wulfy

Willis wrote:

Caleb Marcus wrote:

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 00:23 -0600, Willis wrote:

Thanks Tony. I have the Gnome Bible and it is not satisfactory at all
for serious work and when I apt-get the Bibletime the Adept Manager
reports it is unable to find it.

As for the ter balls I have unzipped them to files and found nothing to
install them with and I just put them into a directory to wait for an
answer.

What game, and what's the name of the bible program?

Ubuntu Linux Bible and Flight Gear-0.9.10. Please bear with me and help
me learn what to do with a tar ball and do not try to teach me the local
idiot way of doing this. I know Windows inside out and I am abandoning
MS in favor of Linux and I'm not the type that ever trys to insist that
everything be perfectly simple. I enjoy a challenge.

Flight Gear 0.9.10 is in the universe repository... at least in Gutsy.*

You do realise that Ubuntu Linux Bible is not a scriptural program?

<http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/01/15/the-ubuntu-linux-bible-cd-rom-included/>

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 12-01-2007, 07:19 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 00:23 -0600, Willis wrote:
> when I apt-get the Bibletime the Adept Manager
> reports it is unable to find it.

Do you have the "universe" repository enabled? See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories

Old 12-01-2007, 07:49 AM
andy baxter

Willis wrote:
> Caleb Marcus wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 00:23 -0600, Willis wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Tony. I have the Gnome Bible and it is not satisfactory at all
>>> for serious work and when I apt-get the Bibletime the Adept Manager
>>> reports it is unable to find it.
>>>
>>> As for the ter balls I have unzipped them to files and found nothing to
>>> install them with and I just put them into a directory to wait for an
>>> answer.
>>>

>> What game, and what's the name of the bible program?
>>
> Ubuntu Linux Bible and Flight Gear-0.9.10. Please bear with me and help
> me learn what to do with a tar ball and do not try to teach me the local
> idiot way of doing this. I know Windows inside out and I am abandoning
> MS in favor of Linux and I'm not the type that ever trys to insist that
> everything be perfectly simple. I enjoy a challenge.

A tarball is a compressed archive of files and no more. It may contain
various things - there could be an installer, but more usual is for it
to contain either raw data files, if you're just downloading something
like the bible data, or else a program that you usually need to compile
before you can install it.

In the second case, look for a script in the top level of the unpacked
tarball called 'configure' - usually what you need to do is something like:

sudo -i
cd <path to unpacked tarball>
./configure --help
# now read the help before doing
./configure <any options you want to add>
make
make install

This will compile the program and install it - usually to /usr/local/bin.

andy

Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 08:49 +0000, andy baxter wrote:
> make install
>
> This will compile the program and install it - usually
> to /usr/local/bin.

It's better to do it with checkinstall. This create a *.deb package that
can be installed with the usual package tools and, more importantly, can
be properly uninstalled, too.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CheckInstall