Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 AM
"Paul Smith"

Default Fonts here do not look really well

Dear All,

The fonts here do not look really well. (I am using Liberation Fonts.)
What can I do to improve this situation?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 AM
jerry

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> The fonts here do not look really well. (I am using Liberation Fonts.)
> What can I do to improve this situation?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul

http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/hacks/

On the left column double click on Chap 5 X11 and select Hack 53 "Make
your fonts pretty"

Hope this helps.
Jerry

Old 12-01-2007, 10:57 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 1, 2007 3:34 AM, jerry <jerryturba@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > The fonts here do not look really well. (I am using Liberation Fonts.)
> > What can I do to improve this situation?
> >
> http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/hacks/
>
> On the left column double click on Chap 5 X11 and select Hack 53 "Make
> your fonts pretty"

Thanks, Jerry. My flat screen is a 17 inches one, and I have added the
following line to ~/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb:

Xft.dpi: 96

However,

# xdpyinfo | grep resolution
resolution: 90x96 dots per inch
#

Apparently, Xubuntu is not considering the line added to Xft.xrdb. Any ideas?

Paul

Old 12-01-2007, 02:08 PM
jerry

Paul Smith wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2007 3:34 AM, jerry <jerryturba@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>> The fonts here do not look really well. (I am using Liberation Fonts.)
>>> What can I do to improve this situation?
>>>

>> http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/hacks/
>>
>> On the left column double click on Chap 5 X11 and select Hack 53 "Make
>> your fonts pretty"
>>

> Thanks, Jerry. My flat screen is a 17 inches one, and I have added the
> following line to ~/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb:
>
> Xft.dpi: 96
>
> However,
>
> # xdpyinfo | grep resolution
> resolution: 90x96 dots per inch
> #
>
> Apparently, Xubuntu is not considering the line added to Xft.xrdb. Any ideas?
>
> Paul

Sorry have never used xfce nor edited Xft.xrdb.
Have you read the mannpage for xrdb?

Jerry

Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 1, 2007 3:08 PM, jerry <jerryturba@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> >> http://book.opensourceproject.org.cn/distrib/ubuntu/hacks/
> >>
> >> On the left column double click on Chap 5 X11 and select Hack 53 "Make
> >> your fonts pretty"
> >>

> > Thanks, Jerry. My flat screen is a 17 inches one, and I have added the
> > following line to ~/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb:
> >
> > Xft.dpi: 96
> >
> > However,
> >
> > # xdpyinfo | grep resolution
> > resolution: 90x96 dots per inch
> > #
> >
> > Apparently, Xubuntu is not considering the line added to Xft.xrdb. Any ideas?
> >
> Sorry have never used xfce nor edited Xft.xrdb.
> Have you read the mannpage for xrdb?

Yes, Jerry, but no progress.

Paul

Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
jerry

Paul Smith wrote:

>>> Thanks, Jerry. My flat screen is a 17 inches one, and I have added the
>>> following line to ~/.config/xfce4/Xft.xrdb:
>>>
>>> Xft.dpi: 96
>>>
>>> However,
>>>
>>> # xdpyinfo | grep resolution
>>> resolution: 90x96 dots per inch
>>> #
>>>
>>> Apparently, Xubuntu is not considering the line added to Xft.xrdb. Any ideas?
>>>

>> Sorry have never used xfce nor edited Xft.xrdb.
>> Have you read the mannpage for xrdb?
>>

> Yes, Jerry, but no progress.
>
> Paul

My CRT measures 16in on the diagonal. When I run;

xdpyinfo | grep resolution

resolution: 102x108 dots per inch

I setup my monitor during install with the xorg X11 configuration. To
reconfigure I use "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"

I have no idea how dpi fits in to the configuration of a monitor.

Hopefully some on the list can give some help.

Jerry

Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:41:16 -0800, jerry wrote:

>>> Sorry have never used xfce nor edited Xft.xrdb.
>>> Have you read the mannpage for xrdb?
>>>

>> Yes, Jerry, but no progress.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> My CRT measures 16in on the diagonal. When I run;
>

> xdpyinfo | grep resolution
>
> resolution: 102x108 dots per inch
>

> I setup my monitor during install with the xorg X11 configuration. To
> reconfigure I use "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
>
> I have no idea how dpi fits in to the configuration of a monitor.

That's quite easy. My monitor measures 17.05x10.67" (20" widescreen),
and has 1680x1050 pixels.

1680 / 17.05 = 98.53 DPI
1050 / 10.67 = 98.41 DPI

:~$ xdpyinfo | grep resolution
resolution: 99x98 dots per inch

To let X (and GNOME) know about the resolution, I added a line to
the Monitor section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which gives information about
the displaysize in mm:

DisplaySize 433 271

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 12-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Nik

In article <6ade6f6c0711301729x83a8a19h761c2543f429a53c@mail. gmail.com>,
Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,

> The fonts here do not look really well.

In what way?
Can you post a link to an image that we can look at.

Nik

--
"welcome to the blood red crimson sky of another imperial day"

Old 12-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Felix Miata

On 2007/12/03 09:41 (GMT-0800) jerry apparently typed:

>>> Sorry have never used xfce nor edited Xft.xrdb.
>>> Have you read the mannpage for xrdb?

>> Yes, Jerry, but no progress.

> My CRT measures 16in on the diagonal. When I run;

> xdpyinfo | grep resolution

> resolution: 102x108 dots per inch

> I setup my monitor during install with the xorg X11 configuration. To
> reconfigure I use "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"

> I have no idea how dpi fits in to the configuration of a monitor.

> Hopefully some on the list can give some help.

DPI is a result of the combination of your display size, and the resolution
it uses. A 17" flat panel is usually 1280x1024 native resolution, which is
about 96.4 DPI both vertical and horizontal if the screen actually has the
5/4 aspect ratio that matches the 1280/1024 ratio. DPI resulting from other
common combinations of resolution and screen size can be seen on
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/dpi for comparison to your own. FWIW, 96 is the
default in windoz, and is a standard around which an incredible number of
naively designed desktops and apps are designed, so it's very nice to have a
matching real DPI for your own system.

DPI impacts the size of things sized in such absolute units as points,
inches, & centimeters on a display screen. When X uses a DPI that differs
significantly from your displays actual DPI, screen objects and fonts often
don't seem as if they were intelligently designed. With fonts sized in pt, a
real DPI smaller than the one X uses makes fonts bigger than they were
intended to be, and vice versa. Fudging the DPI is one way you can adjust
font and object sizes larger or smaller.

Visit https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2007-October/126426.html
for more info on the subject generally. It may help you improve your fonts.
--
" Our Constitution was made only for a moral
and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Old 12-07-2007, 12:23 PM
"Joe Abi Raad"

Hi