Old 11-30-2007, 10:44 PM
James Takac

Default nautilus scripts

Hi Guys

I can't seem to get nautilus scripts up and going in gutsy. Had no probs under
feisty. Anyone know what I may have missed

James

Old 11-30-2007, 11:51 PM
NoOp

On 11/30/2007 03:44 PM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I can't seem to get nautilus scripts up and going in gutsy. Had no probs under
> feisty. Anyone know what I may have missed
>
> James

Try:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nautilus_Scripts
It works in Gutsy

You can also:
sudo apt-get install nautilus-script-manager

Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
"James Takac"

On Dec 1, 2007 10:51 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/30/2007 03:44 PM, James Takac wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I can't seem to get nautilus scripts up and going in gutsy. Had no probs under
> feisty. Anyone know what I may have missed

> James

Try:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nautilus_Scripts
It works in Gutsy

You can also:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-script-manager

Hi NoOp

Seems my only prob was the lack of scripts in the scripts folder. Works fine now

James

Old 12-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Pietro Battiston

Hello,

being a fan of Nautilus scripts, I wrote my program gallery-uploader
([0], should be in Lucid) so that it can also be used as such (and I
personally do use it as such).

But then, I noticed that the only way to enable a nautilus script is, as
far as I know, to link it from ~/.gnome/nautilus-scripts . This kind of
defeated my purpose of creating something which could be useful even to
people not knowing how to use a terminal/fiddle with hidden files.

nautilus-script-manager ([1]) theoretically aims at solving this... but
it seems to be dead upstream, and most importantly it is still a
command-line utility.

That's why I created my nautilus-scripts-manager ([2], notice the "s" in
"scripts"), which is now in the NEW queue, waiting to enter Debian.

Now: both nautilus-script-manager and a handful of nautilus scripts also
packaged (only in Ubuntu) follow the rule that the system-wide installed
scripts lie (or are linked) in /usr/share/nautilus-scripts . So I
followed this rule too in installing gallery-uploader, and assumed it is
followed while writing nautilus-scripts-manager - in the end, I thought
it was better to follow an arbitrary one that to arbitrarily create a
new one.

However, my sponsor for nautilus-scripts-manager in Debian expressed
some doubts about the assumption, so I'm here asking: what do you
suggest I should do?

I figured out 2 possibilities:
1) keep on using /usr/share/nautilus-scripts
2) use $PREFIX/share/nautilus-scripts , and look for
$PREFIX/share/nautilus-scripts and $PREFIX/local/share/nautilus-scripts
in nautilus-scripts-manager.

Notice that for what concerns Debian/Ubuntu, there is almost no
practical difference between 1) and 2) (I'm not aware of any
non-packaged nautilus script configured to be installed system-wise)...
but still, I'd like to know which is the best solution... and it is not
necessarily one of the two.

Also notice that all this applies independently from the fact that in
next release of my utility I'd like it to support also user-provided
(not only system-wise installed) scripts.

I'd also like to introduce into Debian a couple of the scripts currently
available in Ubuntu, such as audio-convert, and that's one reason more
for me to try to see clearly what is the best approach.

Thanks

Pietro

[0]: http://packages.debian.org/gallery-uploader
[1]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/nautilus-script-manager
[2]: http://www.pietrobattiston.it/nautilus-scripts-manager/

Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Pietro Battiston

Il giorno mar, 15/12/2009 alle 15.38 +0100, Pietro Battiston ha scritto:
> Hello,
> [...]
> That's why I created my nautilus-scripts-manager ([2], notice the "s" in
> "scripts"), which is now in the NEW queue, waiting to enter Debian.

Just for the records, it's now in sid.

I'd appreciate any comment on the problem. Since my former email was
probably too long, here is a synthesis of it:
- nautilus-script-manager, in Ubuntu, assumes that system-wide nautilus
scripts live in /usr/share/nautilus-scripts, but this doesn't seem to be
based on any prior discussion
- I wrote nautilus-scripts-manager (which will presumably be in Lucid -
notice the "s" in "scripts") starting from the same assumption
- is this Good™?

Pietro