-   -   Starting a program at boot (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/961-starting-program-boot.html)

Jeff Simmons 11-20-2007 12:40 AM

Starting a program at boot

Hello, Ubuntu users.

I need to start a program at boot time. The program has a -d switch that puts
it into daemon mode, but Ubuntu won't let me run it as root.

init: security exit, root euid

Is there a way I can disable this, or, even better, start the program at boot
(via rc.local, /etc/init.d, etc.) as a user other than root?

--
Jeff Simmons jsimmons@goblin.punk.net
Simmons Consulting - Network Engineering, Administration, Security

Nils Kassube 11-20-2007 07:00 AM

Starting a program at boot

Jeff Simmons wrote:
> I need to start a program at boot time. The program has a -d switch
> that puts it into daemon mode, but Ubuntu won't let me run it as root.
>
> init: security exit, root euid
>
> Is there a way I can disable this, or, even better, start the program
> at boot (via rc.local, /etc/init.d, etc.) as a user other than root?

su user -c command options

Nils