Old 11-30-2007, 06:57 PM
"."

Default Abortive install - Xubuntu 7.10 (Alternative)

With the purpose of evaluating an alternative to Windows, I attempted to
install Xubuntu Linux 7.10 on my old computer. I had previously "played"
with the live CD.

Dell Dimension XPS T500
Pentium III 500mhz
256mb ram

After several hours of churning away, during which I *think* that most of
the OS and programs were installed, the computer froze with a black
screen and the words "GRUB Loading stage1.5 _" in the upper left hand
corner.
I was expecting to see some kind of dual-boot screen.

In what appears to be a mis-guided attempt to correct the mess and return to
the previous condition, I re-formatted the partition in which Linux was
installed.
There doesn't seem to be an "un-install" procedure.

Well, as you might guess (or why would I be writing?) that didn't work.

Upon boot-up, the "GRUB..etc." message appears and the computer
fails to respond. ( Actually, "ctrl-alt-del" results in a re-boot with the
same result.)
Can you help me to restore my computer to some level of usefulness?
Needless to say, I look upon a re-install of Windows as a last resort.

owl5138@indra.com

Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Wulfy

. wrote:
> Can you help me to restore my computer to some level of usefulness?
> Needless to say, I look upon a re-install of Windows as a last resort.
>
> owl5138@indra.com
Boot up with the Windows install disk and choose fixMBR option. I don't
have Windows so I'm not sure what it would look like (a menu item, I
assume) but I think it should be there. This will restore the Windows
loader program...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Old 11-30-2007, 08:28 PM
"Victor Padro"

On Nov 30, 2007 3:13 PM, Wulfy <wulfmann@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

. wrote:
> Can you help me to restore my computer to some level of usefulness?
> Needless to say, I look upon a re-install of Windows as a last resort.

owl5138@indra.com
Boot up with the Windows install disk and choose fixMBR option. *I don't
have Windows so I'm not sure what it would look like (a menu item, I
assume) but I think it should be there. *This will restore the Windows

loader program...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Instead of reinstalling Windows why don't you try reinstalling Xubuntu, so you can use grub to boot both partitions, also check
this and ubuntu forums in order to solve certain grub problems.

Cheers.

Victor.