Old 11-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Adam McGreggor

Default Remind me (pls)... Distro Version Discovery

Heya,

Stupid dumbass question here, which is bugging me, as it's really
slipped my mind...

I'm after the app which tells me which *distro* I'm using, and the
version; it's not uname(1), and I've seen it posted before, here
(greping 450MB of list-archive just ain't gonna happen).

Anyone know what I'm thinking of? (And I don't want to switch to
TTY[0-6]...

TIA,

Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 PM
"Miano, Steven M."

Try:

Cat /etc/issue

Worked for me came back with:

Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS
1

~Steve

Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Nils Kassube

Adam McGreggor wrote:
> I'm after the app which tells me which *distro* I'm using, and the
> version; it's not uname(1), and I've seen it posted before, here
> (greping 450MB of list-archive just ain't gonna happen).

cat /etc/issue

Nils

Old 11-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Peter Garrett

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:33:14 +0100
Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> Adam McGreggor wrote:
> > I'm after the app which tells me which *distro* I'm using, and the
> > version; it's not uname(1), and I've seen it posted before, here
> > (greping 450MB of list-archive just ain't gonna happen).
>
> cat /etc/issue

Or:

lsb_release -a

--
"INX Is Not X" based on Ubuntu 7.04 Live CD: http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 11-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fr, 2007-11-30 at 19:04 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Stupid dumbass question here, which is bugging me, as it's really
> slipped my mind...
>
> I'm after the app which tells me which *distro* I'm using, and the
> version; it's not uname(1), and I've seen it posted before, here
> (greping 450MB of list-archive just ain't gonna happen).
>
> Anyone know what I'm thinking of? (And I don't want to switch to
> TTY[0-6]...
System->About Ubuntu

ciao
oli

Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Adam McGreggor

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 07:25:13AM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:33:14 +0100
> Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > Adam McGreggor wrote:
> > > I'm after the app which tells me which *distro* I'm using, and the
> > > version; it's not uname(1), and I've seen it posted before, here
> > > (greping 450MB of list-archive just ain't gonna happen).
> >
> > cat /etc/issue

I wanted an app, I knew about /etc/$distro_file

> Or:
>
> lsb_release -a

That's the one, cheers!

Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Adam McGreggor

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 11:22:51PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Fr, 2007-11-30 at 19:04 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > Stupid dumbass question here, which is bugging me, as it's really
> > slipped my mind...
> >
> > I'm after the app which tells me which *distro* I'm using, and the
> > version; it's not uname(1), and I've seen it posted before, here
> > (greping 450MB of list-archive just ain't gonna happen).
> >
> > Anyone know what I'm thinking of? (And I don't want to switch to
> > TTY[0-6]...
> System->About Ubuntu

<sarcasm>
so, erm, where do i type that?
</sarcasm>

(I'm not a fan of GUIs, per se, and that instruction seems to only apply
to Ubuntu, [and whilst this is u-users] I mainly use KDE. Don't like
Gnome. -- i posted here, as i knew someone on this list had
previously answered)

Old 12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Sa, 2007-12-01 at 13:34 +0000, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> > > Anyone know what I'm thinking of? (And I don't want to switch to
> > > TTY[0-6]...
> > System->About Ubuntu
>
> <sarcasm>
> so, erm, where do i type that?
> </sarcasm>
well, you said you didnt want to switch to console (for me that also
included X terminals) i'm sure there is also a "about kubuntu" button in
the kubuntu menu that prominently shows you the actually installed
version in a full gui way

ciao
oli