Old 11-30-2007, 05:50 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Current Ubuntu version of R is old

Dear All,

I am just beginning with Ubuntu and I have just installed R. The
current version of R is 2.6.1, but Ubuntu brings up the 2.5.1 one, an
old version. Why is that?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 11-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Derek Broughton

Paul Smith wrote:

> I am just beginning with Ubuntu and I have just installed R. The
> current version of R is 2.6.1, but Ubuntu brings up the 2.5.1 one, an
> old version. Why is that?

Could I suggest you provide package names when referring to something like
this, please? I remember installing R a couple of months back and having a
hell of a time finding it because, like months, practically every package
has an "r" in it somewhere...

r-base is hardly very old for an ubuntu package. It takes time to integrate
a package into ubuntu, and the ubuntu (or debian, or any distro's package)
is always going to lag behind the upstream version. It's just the price
you pay for getting prepackaged versions of your software. I think you'll
find that most of us use whatever Ubuntu comes with for the software that
doesn't really matter to us, but for the really important apps - to us - we
look elsewhere.
--
derek

Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 1, 2007 12:38 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > I am just beginning with Ubuntu and I have just installed R. The
> > current version of R is 2.6.1, but Ubuntu brings up the 2.5.1 one, an
> > old version. Why is that?
>
> Could I suggest you provide package names when referring to something like
> this, please? I remember installing R a couple of months back and having a
> hell of a time finding it because, like months, practically every package
> has an "r" in it somewhere...
>
> r-base is hardly very old for an ubuntu package. It takes time to integrate
> a package into ubuntu, and the ubuntu (or debian, or any distro's package)
> is always going to lag behind the upstream version. It's just the price
> you pay for getting prepackaged versions of your software. I think you'll
> find that most of us use whatever Ubuntu comes with for the software that
> doesn't really matter to us, but for the really important apps - to us - we
> look elsewhere.

Thanks, Derek. Yes, I wanted to mean r-base. And yes, R is important
to me, but I do not know where to find a package with a more recent
version of r-base to work on Ubuntu.

Paul

Old 12-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Derek Broughton

Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks, Derek. Yes, I wanted to mean r-base. And yes, R is important
> to me, but I do not know where to find a package with a more recent
> version of r-base to work on Ubuntu.

Me neither, I'm afraid. I don't actually have R on this system, because I
only installed it at the urging of some statistics geeks who were working
on the hammer principle ("if the only tool you have is a hammer, every
problem looks like a nail"). They knew how to do something I wanted in R,
but it turned out to only work in Windows :-). So I was reduced to using
Windows & R, or Linux & Perl. It was a tough call!

Anyway, the usual procedure is to go "upstream", and look for packages
closer to the source of development. You could check in Debian
(packages.debian.org, iirc) and see if they have something more recent in
sid or experimental, and try installing it. I'd recommend that if that
requests obviously non-R dependencies, don't use it - it could break Ubuntu
apps - but you could get the _source_ package from there, and compile it.

If Debian doesn't work, you'll probably have to go to the R site itself, and
get the source (unless they happen to have .debs).
--
derek

Old 12-01-2007, 07:59 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Dec 1, 2007 2:14 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > Thanks, Derek. Yes, I wanted to mean r-base. And yes, R is important
> > to me, but I do not know where to find a package with a more recent
> > version of r-base to work on Ubuntu.
>
> Me neither, I'm afraid. I don't actually have R on this system, because I
> only installed it at the urging of some statistics geeks who were working
> on the hammer principle ("if the only tool you have is a hammer, every
> problem looks like a nail"). They knew how to do something I wanted in R,
> but it turned out to only work in Windows :-). So I was reduced to using
> Windows & R, or Linux & Perl. It was a tough call!
>
> Anyway, the usual procedure is to go "upstream", and look for packages
> closer to the source of development. You could check in Debian
> (packages.debian.org, iirc) and see if they have something more recent in
> sid or experimental, and try installing it. I'd recommend that if that
> requests obviously non-R dependencies, don't use it - it could break Ubuntu
> apps - but you could get the _source_ package from there, and compile it.
>
> If Debian doesn't work, you'll probably have to go to the R site itself, and
> get the source (unless they happen to have .debs).

Thanks again, Derek. Meanwhile, I filed this bug, asking for an update:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/r-base/+bug/173175

Paul

Old 12-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Paul Smith wrote:

> Thanks again, Derek. Meanwhile, I filed this bug, asking for an update:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/r-base/+bug/173175

You won't get one for gutsy, so your bug will probably be rejected or
ignored (there are no version upgrades by Ubuntu to software in the stable
versions - so unless someone like you packages 2.6.1 for gutsy-backports,
it isn't going to happen). 2.6.1 is already in Hardy, so you can try
installing that - with the same warnings I gave about trying debian
packages. I'd temporarily change all references from "gutsy" in
my /etc/apt/sources.list to "hardy", "sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude
install r-base" (and anything else you need), and if it tries to bring in
anything non-r-related abort the download. Then don't forget to change
back to the gutsy version of sources.list and rerun "sudo aptitude update".
In another month or two, I would be willing to try "hardy", but I really
doubt it's safe to upgrade yet.
--
derek

Old 12-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Felipe Figueiredo

Em Sunday 02 December 2007 13:02:31 Derek Broughton escreveu:
> Paul Smith wrote:
> >
> > Thanks again, Derek. Meanwhile, I filed this bug, asking for an update:
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/r-base/+bug/173175
>
> You won't get one for gutsy, so your bug will probably be rejected or
> ignored (there are no version upgrades by Ubuntu to software in the stable
> versions - so unless someone like you packages 2.6.1 for gutsy-backports,
> it isn't going to happen). 2.6.1 is already in Hardy, so you can try
> installing that - with the same warnings I gave about trying debian
> packages. I'd temporarily change all references from "gutsy" in
> my /etc/apt/sources.list to "hardy", "sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude
> install r-base" (and anything else you need), and if it tries to bring in
> anything non-r-related abort the download. Then don't forget to change
> back to the gutsy version of sources.list and rerun "sudo aptitude update".
> In another month or two, I would be willing to try "hardy", but I really
> doubt it's safe to upgrade yet.

This is where prevu comes in: you can backport the package if it's available
in the next release, compile it and generate a locally compiled package.

Paul, install it and take a look in its docs in /usr/share/doc/prevu to get
started.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 PM
"Kailesh MUSSAI"

Hello Paul,

You can always add:

deb http://probability.ca/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu gutsy/

in your /etc/apt/sources.list

The above will give the most current versions of R

By the way, I am using the Canadian mirror site.
Have a look at http://www.r-project.org/ for more info.

Regards,
Kailesh

Old 12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Derek Broughton

Kailesh MUSSAI wrote:

> You can always add:
>
> deb http://probability.ca/cran/bin/linux/ubuntu gutsy/
>
> in your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> The above will give the most current versions of R

No, it won't. Gutsy has 2.5.1 and he wants 2.6
--
derek

Old 12-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Derek Broughton

Felipe Figueiredo wrote:

> This is where prevu comes in: you can backport the package if it's
> available in the next release, compile it and generate a locally compiled
> package.

Cool. I hadn't heard of that. It still means you need all the extras you'd
need to compile from the upstream source, but I'd hope it would be simpler
and you end up with a package that will get automatically upgraded when
Ubuntu catches up with your version.
--
derek