Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM
"Chipo Hamayobe"

Default Free Book for learning Ubuntu /Linux

http://learnlinux.tsf.org.za/courses/web-fundamentals.html

Regards
---
Chipo
*
"To the world you may be one person, to one person you may be the world"* Rachel Ann Nunes

Confidentiallity: This message is intended for the addressee only and contains privileged and confidential information. Should the reader hereof not be the intended recipient,kindly notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original message.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Avi Greenbury

http://tldp.org

--
Avi Greenbury

Old 05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Mario Vukelic

Can I just refer you to this post of mine if you want to become a
Linux
expert?
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-April/144432.html

Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 PM
NoOp

On 05/23/2008 06:03 AM, anuj wrote:
> Hi List ,
> I am new bee and I really want to clear my fundamentals for Ubuntu/Linux
> as I am training to become admin for ubuntu servers
>
> Pl advice if there free books /Guides on net which i can go through
>
> Thanks ,
> Anuj
> -

These might help:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Training
[use the links to the training PDF's - be aware that the full (large)
versions are 72.5MB in size - so try the small versions first]
http://www.ubuntu.com/training
https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverguide/C/index.html

You can find just about anything related to servers etc. by simply
searching:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
[upper right corner]

Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Florian Diesch

anuj <anuj.tomar@alabot.com> wrote:

> I am new bee and I really want to clear my fundamentals for Ubuntu/Linux
> as I am training to become admin for ubuntu servers
>
> Pl advice if there free books /Guides on net which i can go through

Install "rutebook" and have a look at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 00:41 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
> anuj <anuj.tomar@alabot.com> wrote:
>
> > I am new bee and I really want to clear my fundamentals for Ubuntu/Linux
> > as I am training to become admin for ubuntu servers
> >
> > Pl advice if there free books /Guides on net which i can go through
>
> Install "rutebook" and have a look at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/

> Florian

Hi Florian,
Your rutebook hint is interesting ! ;-)
It installs and there is a rutebook.pdf.gz with abolutely not entries or
icons on the desktop !!
How can a new bee get these things readable then ? ;-(

Cheers, svobi

Old 05-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Florian Diesch

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 00:41 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
>> anuj <anuj.tomar@alabot.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I am new bee and I really want to clear my fundamentals for Ubuntu/Linux
>> > as I am training to become admin for ubuntu servers
>> >
>> > Pl advice if there free books /Guides on net which i can go through
>>
>> Install "rutebook" and have a look at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/
>
>> Florian
>
> Hi Florian,
> Your rutebook hint is interesting ! ;-)
> It installs and there is a rutebook.pdf.gz with abolutely not entries or
> icons on the desktop !!
> How can a new bee get these things readable then ? ;-(

For me it just works in nautilus. If it doesn't for you open a terminal
window and type
gzip -c /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz > ~/Desktop/rutebook.pdf
(that's one line). This copies a decompressed version of
/usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz named rutebook.pdf to your
desktop.

Maybe typing
see /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz
in a terminal window works, too.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 02:39 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux@synass.net> wrote:

> >> Install "rutebook" and have a look at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/
> >
> >> Florian
> >
> > Hi Florian,
> > Your rutebook hint is interesting ! ;-)
> > It installs and there is a rutebook.pdf.gz with abolutely not entries or
> > icons on the desktop !!
> > How can a new bee get these things readable then ? ;-(
>
> For me it just works in nautilus. If it doesn't for you open a terminal
> window and type
> gzip -c /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz > ~/Desktop/rutebook.pdf
> (that's one line). This copies a decompressed version of
> /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz named rutebook.pdf to your
> desktop.
>
> Maybe typing
> see /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rutebook.pdf.gz
> in a terminal window works, too.
> Florian

Hi Florian
Thanks for your feedback and hints:
1) it works with: see /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz

2) With the given gzip it fails:
unable to open document, failedto laod document from data (error3)

I cannot say anything about its quality but
with its 660 pages it is really a very very heavy portion for a new
bee !!!

Cheers, svobi

Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
NoOp

On 05/24/2008 12:04 AM, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:

> Hi Florian
> Thanks for your feedback and hints:
> 1) it works with: see /usr/share/doc/rutebook/rute.pdf.gz
>
> 2) With the given gzip it fails:
> unable to open document, failedto laod document from data (error3)
>
> I cannot say anything about its quality but
> with its 660 pages it is really a very very heavy portion for a new
> bee !!!

You can also view it in your web browser, just enter:

file:///usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/rute.html

[thanks Florian - I never even knew it was there :-]

Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Dave Scott

Florian Diesch wrote:

[...]

This was interesting enough that I tried to find this entry in the
repository with Add/Remove programs in ubuntu 8.04 and it wasn't there.
Can someone be a bit more specific as to where this item will be found?

Thanks,

Dave

--
David E. Scott