Old 11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
"Paul Smith"

Default Mounting a hard disk

Dear All,

I am new to Ubuntu, and I would like to mount a hard disk that Ubuntu
did not mount automatically. How can I mount it manually?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 11-30-2007, 03:39 PM
Isuru Samaraweera

Hi,
On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 16:16 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu, and I would like to mount a hard disk that Ubuntu
> did not mount automatically. How can I mount it manually?

try this

sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/yournewdrive

Regards,
Isuru

Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 30, 2007 4:39 PM, Isuru Samaraweera <isuru@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > I am new to Ubuntu, and I would like to mount a hard disk that Ubuntu
> > did not mount automatically. How can I mount it manually?
> >
> try this
>
> sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/yournewdrive

Thanks, Isaru. The point is that I do not know whether it is hdb, hdc,
hdd, etc.? How can I learn that?

Paul

Old 11-30-2007, 04:12 PM
"Preston Hagar"

On Nov 30, 2007 10:49 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 4:39 PM, Isuru Samaraweera <isuru@opensource.lk> wrote:
> > > I am new to Ubuntu, and I would like to mount a hard disk that Ubuntu
> > > did not mount automatically. How can I mount it manually?
> > >
> > try this
> >
> > sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/yournewdrive
>
> Thanks, Isaru. The point is that I do not know whether it is hdb, hdc,
> hdd, etc.? How can I learn that?
>

> Paul

Two different ways to do this (there are probably more than two, these
are just the two off of the top of my head):

run this command:

dmesg | less

and look for hd or sd entries. If you new disk is SATA or SCSI, it
will start with sd, not hd.

Way 2:

sudo apt-get install lshw
sudo lshw -class disk

This should list all of the disks in your machine.

Hope this helps.

Preston

Old 11-30-2007, 04:19 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 30, 2007 5:12 PM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > try this
> > >
> > > sudo mount /dev/hdd1 /media/yournewdrive
> >
> > Thanks, Isaru. The point is that I do not know whether it is hdb, hdc,
> > hdd, etc.? How can I learn that?
>
> Two different ways to do this (there are probably more than two, these
> are just the two off of the top of my head):
>
> run this command:
>
> dmesg | less
>
> and look for hd or sd entries. If you new disk is SATA or SCSI, it
> will start with sd, not hd.
>
> Way 2:
>
> sudo apt-get install lshw
> sudo lshw -class disk
>
> This should list all of the disks in your machine.

Thanks, Preston. I am trying the following but with no success:

# mount /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
root@mypc:/home/paulus# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
dmesg | tail or so

#

Any ideas?

Paul

Old 11-30-2007, 05:02 PM
"Preston Hagar"

On Nov 30, 2007 11:19 AM, Paul Smith <phhs80@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thanks, Isaru. The point is that I do not know whether it is hdb, hdc,
> > > hdd, etc.? How can I learn that?
> >
> > Two different ways to do this (there are probably more than two, these
> > are just the two off of the top of my head):
> >
> > run this command:
> >
> > dmesg | less
> >
> > and look for hd or sd entries. If you new disk is SATA or SCSI, it
> > will start with sd, not hd.
> >
> > Way 2:
> >
> > sudo apt-get install lshw
> > sudo lshw -class disk
> >
> > This should list all of the disks in your machine.
>
> Thanks, Preston. I am trying the following but with no success:
>
> # mount /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
> root@mypc:/home/paulus# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
> missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>
> #
>
> Any ideas?

Well, it looks like /dev/sdb2 is part of an LVM setup. Possibly this
drive was setup previously using LVM, or maybe this drive is a member
of your main LVM setup and the drive you actually want is something
different. Unfortunately, I haven't used LVM very much, so I am not
very familiar with it. Here are a couple of How-Tos and guides to
hopefully help out:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lvm/
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lvm2.html

You may also try posting the output from dmesg (without the | less) or
the output from the lshw -class disks command. It might help me or
someone else figure out exactly what is setup.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Preston

Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 30, 2007 6:02 PM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Two different ways to do this (there are probably more than two, these
> > > are just the two off of the top of my head):
> > >
> > > run this command:
> > >
> > > dmesg | less
> > >
> > > and look for hd or sd entries. If you new disk is SATA or SCSI, it
> > > will start with sd, not hd.
> > >
> > > Way 2:
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get install lshw
> > > sudo lshw -class disk
> > >
> > > This should list all of the disks in your machine.
> >
> > Thanks, Preston. I am trying the following but with no success:
> >
> > # mount /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
> > mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'
> > root@mypc:/home/paulus# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb2 /media/iso
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb2,
> > missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> > In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> > dmesg | tail or so
> >
> > #
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> Well, it looks like /dev/sdb2 is part of an LVM setup. Possibly this
> drive was setup previously using LVM, or maybe this drive is a member
> of your main LVM setup and the drive you actually want is something
> different. Unfortunately, I haven't used LVM very much, so I am not
> very familiar with it. Here are a couple of How-Tos and guides to
> hopefully help out:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lvm/
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-lvm2.html
>
> You may also try posting the output from dmesg (without the | less) or
> the output from the lshw -class disks command. It might help me or
> someone else figure out exactly what is setup.
>
> Sorry I can't be of more help.

That is fine, Preston. Maybe someone else will help me.

Paul

Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday 30 November 2007, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Sorry I can't be of more help.
>
> That is fine, Preston. Maybe someone else will help me.

I think we need more information as to what is on this partition. What is
the format of the data? Where did it come from? (such as Windows) and if
Windows, what filesystem and how was it formatted?

You tried to mount it as an ext3 disk... which implies that it came from a
linux environment. Is that the case?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:01:00 -0500
schrieb Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com>:

> On Friday 30 November 2007, Paul Smith wrote:
> > > Sorry I can't be of more help.
> >
> > That is fine, Preston. Maybe someone else will help me.
>
> I think we need more information as to what is on this partition.
> What is the format of the data? Where did it come from? (such as
> Windows) and if Windows, what filesystem and how was it formatted?
>
> You tried to mount it as an ext3 disk... which implies that it came
> from a linux environment. Is that the case?

I think a 'sudo fdisk -l' would be helpful.

Gerald

Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
"Paul Smith"

On Nov 30, 2007 7:01 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> > > Sorry I can't be of more help.
> >
> > That is fine, Preston. Maybe someone else will help me.
>
> I think we need more information as to what is on this partition. What is
> the format of the data? Where did it come from? (such as Windows) and if
> Windows, what filesystem and how was it formatted?
>
> You tried to mount it as an ext3 disk... which implies that it came from a
> linux environment. Is that the case?

Indeed, Bruce, it was formatted with Fedora. I have just used gparted
to check the filesystem of /dev/sdb2, but it says unknown.

Paul