Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Steven Zaveloff

Default Inputting Japanese

I just installed Ubuntu 8.04LTS and want to input Japanese. How do I do
this?
Steven H. Zaveloff zaveloff@att.net
P.O. Box 200203 Tel: (512)219-7142
Austin, Texas 78720-0203 Fax: (512)233-2770
http://members.capmac.org/~stevenzaveloff/

Thus shall you think of this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud;
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
-Diamond Sutra

Old 05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Thomas PARIS

On Sat May 17 at 15:52 (-0500), Steven Zaveloff wrote:
> I just installed Ubuntu 8.04LTS and want to input Japanese. How do I do
> this?

There are several packages you can use. I chose scim-prime because it's
popular, but dunno whether its good reputation is deserved. It does
work, that's for sure.

After you've installed scim-prime, you can activate Japanese input by
right-clicking and selecting it amongst the input methods. You might
wish to install scim-gtk2-immodule too.

This command will make scim your default input method:
im-switch -s scim

Switching between English and Japanese input is done with Alt+Space by
default. You can change that in scim's configuration.

Note that I did all that configuration work quite some time ago already
so I may not remember the details right. But there's a lot of info about
these packages on the net, so you shouldn't have too much trouble
getting that stuff to worK.

HTH,
Thomas
--