Old 05-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Thilo Six

Default Update tool scan for new packages

stan wrote the following on 18.05.2008 18:15

> after I upgraded to 8.04, I noticed that when I invoke the update tool from
> the icon, it insists on scanning for new updates every time. Since the icon
> only appears when the update tool already knows that there are new updates,
> why was this behavior changes?

<-------- /etc/cron.daily/apt --------
# sleep for a random intervall of time (default 30min)
# (some code taken from cron-apt, thanks)
random_sleep()
{
RandomSleep=1800
--------------------------------------------->

It's intention is to reduce load on ubuntu mirrors, when all default
installations run their crons at 6 am.

> And can I revert back to the old behavior?

jusr edit above, or wait up to at least 31min after booting your PC.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 05-24-2008, 10:11 PM
stan

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:36:13PM +0200, Thilo Six wrote:
> stan wrote the following on 18.05.2008 18:15
>
> > after I upgraded to 8.04, I noticed that when I invoke the update tool from
> > the icon, it insists on scanning for new updates every time. Since the icon
> > only appears when the update tool already knows that there are new updates,
> > why was this behavior changes?
>
> <-------- /etc/cron.daily/apt --------
> # sleep for a random intervall of time (default 30min)
> # (some code taken from cron-apt, thanks)
> random_sleep()
> {
> RandomSleep=1800
> --------------------------------------------->
>
> It's intention is to reduce load on ubuntu mirrors, when all default
> installations run their crons at 6 am.
>

> > And can I revert back to the old behavior?
>
> jusr edit above, or wait up to at least 31min after booting your PC.
>

> --
> bye Thilo
>
> key: 0x4A411E09

This behaviot persits, even on machines that run 24x7, so I don't think
this can eb the culprit.
programs.