Old 05-18-2008, 09:09 AM
"Dirk Tamme"

Default CUPS-Server-Error

Hi,
I've installed Ubuntu 7.10, mainboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, with a Samsung SCX-1150F as standard printer. When I want to print a test page (with GNOME) I get
CUPS-Serverfehler client-error-document-format-not-supported

..and when I want to print a simple ASCII text, nothing comes out.
The printer works with Windows XP.

What can I do to get my printer working??

Thanks for any help
Dirk T.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM
NoOp

On 05/18/2008 02:09 AM, Dirk Tamme wrote:
> Hi, I've installed Ubuntu 7.10, mainboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, with
> a Samsung SCX-1150F as standard printer. When I want to print a test
> page (with GNOME) I get CUPS-Serverfehler
> client-error-document-format-not-supported
>
> ..and when I want to print a simple ASCII text, nothing comes out.
> The printer works with Windows XP.
>
> What can I do to get my printer working??
Unfortunately:

<http://www.openprinting.org/test/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-SCX-1150>

However, sometimes you can get a "Paperweight" to work by trying the
Windows PPD file. Find the printer PPD on your windows drive and copy it
to /etc/cups/ppd. The install as a new printer and select the PPD that
you copied over from windows. That got a Lexmark Z35 Color Jetprinter
working for me.

You can also check to see what the device registers as when you plug it
in. From a terminal enter:

lsusb

without the printer connected. Now connect it to the usb port and do
lsusb again. You are looking for the ID 0000:0000 numbers. For example,
without my Canon printer plugged in:

~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09da:0006 A4 Tech Co., Ltd Optical Mouse WOP-35 /
Trust 450L Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

With the printer turned on and plugged in:

~$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 04a9:1706 Canon, Inc.
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 09da:0006 A4 Tech Co., Ltd Optical Mouse WOP-35 /
Trust 450L Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

04a9 is the manufacturer, 1706 is the device ID.
If you are lucky, you may find the ID for your printer listed as some
other driver in:
http://cateee.net/sources/lkddb/usb.list
It could be that the printer is a Samsung/Lexmark mix. For instance, in
the list is an entry for:

usb_ids 043d 007c Lexmark X1110/X1130/X1140/X1150/X1170/X1180/X1185

Samsung has a working partnership with Lexmark, so perhaps the X1150
under that ID is your printer. Anyway, have a look and see what the ID
is after you plug it in.