Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

Default FS error / please assist

Hello Ubuntu experts and cracks
Attached you find my fstab, drives & mount extracts.

Could you please help me to find the cause why I get FS errors displayed
at boot time !?
I have tried soooo many times & coz of toooo many trees I do not see the
forest anymore. ;-(

What do I miss here and where do I need to check if not with these
three ???

Your advice and guidance is very appreciated and hot awaited here. ;-)

TIA & cheers, svobi
sna@WS222:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sda5
UUID=edf0353d-b99b-41d6-b7aa-57fad83fab35 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=D2C47460C47448AD /media/sda1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 01
#----------
# /dev/sdb6
UUID=E1C68841C686923 /media/sda6 ntfs defaults,umask=047,gid=46 01
# /dev/sda7
UUID=47F7-9B3D /media/sda7 vfat utf8,umask=007,gid=46 0 1
# /dev/sda8
UUID=42b8c729-4ccd-447e-9220-43b0-5797808f4740 none swap sw 0 0
# /dev/sda9
# UUID=a27937eb-32e3-4774-88bd-27166fb722ea /home ext3 0 2
#----------
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec 0 0

Drives
sda1 UUID=D2C47460C47448AD
sda5 UUID=edf0353d-b99b-41d6-b7aa-57fad83fab35
sda6 UUID=0E1C68841C686923
sda7 UUID=47F7-9B3D
sda8 UUID=59dfd5da-748a-4f9f-99c3-5529c7c96204
sda9 UUID=a27937eb-32e3-4774-88bd-27166fb722ea

Mounts

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 11:57 +0800, SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Hello Ubuntu experts and cracks
> Attached you find my fstab, drives & mount extracts.
>
> Could you please help me to find the cause why I get FS errors displayed
> at boot time !?
> I have tried soooo many times & coz of toooo many trees I do not see the
> forest anymore. ;-(
>
> What do I miss here and where do I need to check if not with these
> three ???
>
> Your advice and guidance is very appreciated and hot awaited here. ;-)
>
> TIA & cheers, svobi

OOPpss ...
... I forgot to point to the few question marks in sda5 Mounts !
Why is this empty and the other entries do have something more ?

Do I miss these additionals ??

TIA for assisting to get it correct/ed. ;-)
Cheers, svobi

Old 05-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Nils Kassube

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Attached you find my fstab, drives & mount extracts.

Can't see anything unusual in there.

> Could you please help me to find the cause why I get FS errors
> displayed at boot time !?
>
> What do I miss here and where do I need to check if not with these
> three ???

Well, what I am missing here are the error messages. Without the messages
it is virtually impossible to find out what is wrong.

Nils

Old 05-18-2008, 06:30 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 07:56 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > Attached you find my fstab, drives & mount extracts.
>
> Can't see anything unusual in there.
>

> > Could you please help me to find the cause why I get FS errors
> > displayed at boot time !?
> >
> > What do I miss here and where do I need to check if not with these
> > three ???
>
> Well, what I am missing here are the error messages. Without the messages
> it is virtually impossible to find out what is wrong.
> Nils

Hi Nils,
Thanks for your efforts and feedback !

At system boot it shows all:
Bootloader Menu
Boot Splash
Text during boot

It shows step by step ...
... or better line by line ...
... the whole boot sequence and its activities and checks.

At the end of all lines are ok / OK's ...
... except with File System and somewhat sensors !

The display is quite fast and small and therefor almost UN-readable. :-(
I am UN-able to provide any error message and
with an error message I may have had a chance to search on my
own !? ;-((

Like this I have no idea what to look for and to search for !!! ;-(((

Cheers and hava nice Sunday, svobi

Old 05-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Mike Bird

On Sat May 17 2008 23:30:18 SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> The display is quite fast and small and therefor almost UN-readable. :-(
> I am UN-able to provide any error message and
> with an error message I may have had a chance to search on my
> own !? ;-((

Take a look at /var/log/dmesg and maybe also /var/log/messages.

--Mike Bird

Old 05-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Nils Kassube

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> At the end of all lines are ok / OK's ...
> ... except with File System and somewhat sensors !
>
> The display is quite fast and small and therefor almost UN-readable.
> :-( I am UN-able to provide any error message and
> with an error message I may have had a chance to search on my
> own !? ;-((

If you don't find anything in /var/log/ (like Mike Bird mentioned
already), you could try to catch the messages with a digital camera. Or
you could boot in recovery mode and see if the messages appear before you
get your root shell. Then you could scroll back with shift-pgup. But
uninstall package "friendly-recovery" before trying this because that
package will overwrite some of the messages with a menu.

Nils

Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 AM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 10:42 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> > At the end of all lines are ok / OK's ...
> > ... except with File System and somewhat sensors !
> >
> > The display is quite fast and small and therefor almost UN-readable.
> > :-( I am UN-able to provide any error message and
> > with an error message I may have had a chance to search on my
> > own !? ;-((
>
> If you don't find anything in /var/log/ (like Mike Bird mentioned
> already), you could try to catch the messages with a digital camera. Or
> you could boot in recovery mode and see if the messages appear before you
> get your root shell. Then you could scroll back with shift-pgup. But
> uninstall package "friendly-recovery" before trying this because that
> package will overwrite some of the messages with a menu.
> Nils

Hi Mike & Nils
Checking and experimenting this I ran into a disaster !
See the attachment. ;-(

HDD seems empty ! ;-|
With modifcating grub entry I am indeed able to boot my Ubuntu 7.10 ;-)

Can't continue my current system condition coz of an appt. ;-((
Will check and try later when returning ! ;-|

TIA for further advice and guidance.
Cheers, svobi

Old 05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Mike Bird

(User expected /dev/sda to have partitions but user has none.)

If the data is valuable to you then I would recommend taking
your drive to a good local linux guru to see if the partitions
can be recovered.

--Mike Bird

Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 PM
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 11:53 -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> (User expected /dev/sda to have partitions but user has none.)
>
> If the data is valuable to you then I would recommend taking
> your drive to a good local linux guru to see if the partitions
> can be recovered.
>
> --Mike Bird

Hi Mike
Thanks for your appreciated concerns, feedback and help !
I would love to get assistance from a local linux guru. ;-)

By nature, here is deep province near the jungle borders and by IT it's
almost fully M$ W...doof only dominated: Believe more than 99.9% but
properly licensed !? ;-|

My Linux gurus are you folks !!! ;-D

Current condition:
With S.G.D (Super Grub Disk) I got my 2 OS'es working again. ;-))

Will stop any further experiments till I have all my important data
saved !!! ;-)

Unfortunately as Linux greenhorn / newbie I am not experienced how to
get this done best, easiest, fast and safest. ;-|

Wlll try to Backup / CP to am external USB HDD drive and hope for not
forgetting or loosing any important data, especially from Thunderbird.

Any helpful hints and suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, svobi

Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Mike Bird

On Sun May 18 2008 16:17:41 SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux wrote:
> Any helpful hints and suggestions are welcome.

Make backups. More than one. I use three for everything
important.

Test backups. In the old days of tape drives roughly
50% of backups were unusable. These days things are
better but still not 100%.

Keep backups in different buildings, or at minimum on
different devices.

--Mike Bird