Old 05-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Rashkae

Default 8.04 mounting second drive help

jack wallen wrote:
> Rashkae wrote:
>> Did MAKEDEV perhaps create the sdb device right in /dev instead of
>> /dev/.static ?
>>

> i just found a bunch of sdb devices in my ~/ directory. i tried to mount
> each of them but always had the error:
>
> mount: /home/jlwallen/sdb* is not a valid block device (where * is each
> device i tried to mount).
>
>> Maybe the problem is simply that udev is not working on your system at
>> all and you are relying only on static device files.
>>
>> Try mount /dev/sdb1 /data again and see if it works now.
>>
>> If it does, you probably still need to fix udev, but at least now you'll
>> know what's broken.

Ok, that was my bad, MAKEDEV should have been run from within the /dev
directory. But in any case, I'm thinking I should stop offering
suggestions here and PC be taken for hands on trouble-shooting..... if
you can find a place where Linux geeks gather (Like a Lug Meeting) and
bring pizza, I'm sure you'll be able to lure and trap the help you need.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:50 PM
jack wallen

Rashkae wrote:

Ok, that was my bad, MAKEDEV should have been run from within the /dev
directory. But in any case, I'm thinking I should stop offering
suggestions here and PC be taken for hands on trouble-shooting..... if
you can find a place where Linux geeks gather (Like a Lug Meeting) and
bring pizza, I'm sure you'll be able to lure and trap the help you need.

i did the MAKEDEV in /dev and it created them in /dev/.static/dev/ but
am still getting the "not a valid block device" error. argh!

--
jack wallen
www.monkeypantz.net