Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Rick

Default Grub, ntfs external hard drives, hanging up!

Here something that is very odd, after doing some updates,
had to reboot...

Have 3 external usb drives, that are formatted in ntfs.
for some wired reason, when rebooting, did not even reach the grub menu,
to select either ubuntu or windows vista...

it just hung there... ( did it 4 times )
once I un-plug the usb drives, goto the grub menu.

everyone told me that formatting from fat32 to ntfs is better
well, this would be the first time in 2 years, I ever had a reboot
problem with ubuntu or my external hard usb hard drives.

Need Help ( Thanks in Advance)

Richard
Ubuntu 8.04 ( with all the updates)

Old 05-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Rashkae

Rick wrote:
> Here something that is very odd, after doing some updates,
> had to reboot...
>
> Have 3 external usb drives, that are formatted in ntfs.
> for some wired reason, when rebooting, did not even reach the grub menu,
> to select either ubuntu or windows vista...
>
> it just hung there... ( did it 4 times )
> once I un-plug the usb drives, goto the grub menu.
>
> everyone told me that formatting from fat32 to ntfs is better
> well, this would be the first time in 2 years, I ever had a reboot
> problem with ubuntu or my external hard usb hard drives.
>
> Need Help ( Thanks in Advance)

Do you by chance have grub installed on a different drive than the one
which holds your /boot partition? If yes, this could be messy, as your
BIOS might be moving the drive assignments around.