Old 05-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Default Ubuntu and streamed WMA/RA files in Firefox

The BBC streams sports off its website using Windows Media and Real
Audio formats (no streaming ogg? boo hiss). I should have thought about
this before the 1st test match between England NZ at Lord's started, but
the last time I followed cricket over the 'net it was on my WinXP music
studio machine.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3 on Hardy Heron. How do I get to hear
either/both of these formats in the browser. Or failing that, how do I
get to hear them in a standalone player. I presume I need to install the
codecs. I can d/l Real Player 8 for Linux and take a stab at that, or
play the stream inside my Virtualbox WinXp setup, but I really rather
not do either of those things if there's a more sensible way to solve my
problem.
NP: nothing

Old 05-17-2008, 07:13 PM
John K Masters

On 12:04 Sat 17 May , Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> The BBC streams sports off its website using Windows Media and Real
> Audio formats (no streaming ogg? boo hiss). I should have thought about
> this before the 1st test match between England NZ at Lord's started, but
> the last time I followed cricket over the 'net it was on my WinXP music
> studio machine.
>
> I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3 on Hardy Heron. How do I get to hear
> either/both of these formats in the browser. Or failing that, how do I
> get to hear them in a standalone player. I presume I need to install the
> codecs. I can d/l Real Player 8 for Linux and take a stab at that, or
> play the stream inside my Virtualbox WinXp setup, but I really rather
> not do either of those things if there's a more sensible way to solve my
> problem.

apt-get (or aptitude) install w32codecs mozplugger mplayer
mozilla-mplayer

The above all on one line.

This should work. It is how I did it on Gutsy/FF2 and I can still get
the BBC streams after updating to Hardy/FF3

Regards, John
--
I wish I was young enough to know everything.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

John K Masters wrote:
> On 12:04 Sat 17 May , Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>> The BBC streams sports off its website using Windows Media and Real
>> Audio formats (no streaming ogg? boo hiss). I should have thought
>> about this before the 1st test match between England NZ at Lord's
>> started, but the last time I followed cricket over the 'net it was
>> on my WinXP music studio machine.
>>
>> I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3 on Hardy Heron. How do I get to hear
>> either/both of these formats in the browser. Or failing that, how
>> do I get to hear them in a standalone player. I presume I need to
>> install the codecs. I can d/l Real Player 8 for Linux and take a
>> stab at that, or play the stream inside my Virtualbox WinXp setup,
>> but I really rather not do either of those things if there's a more
>> sensible way to solve my problem.
>
> apt-get (or aptitude) install w32codecs mozplugger mplayer
> mozilla-mplayer
>
> The above all on one line.
>
> This should work. It is how I did it on Gutsy/FF2 and I can still get
> the BBC streams after updating to Hardy/FF3
>
> Regards, John

You're a prince, John. I'll do that right now, and hopefully I'll get
to hear some TMS feed tomorrow morning, assuming there's no more rain
stopped play that is! I'm in the states, BTW, so getting to hear TMS
over the 'net is a very special "ain't technology great!?!" treat.
NP: nothing

Old 05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Steven Davies-Morris

Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
> John K Masters wrote:
>> On 12:04 Sat 17 May , Steven Davies-Morris wrote:
>>> The BBC streams sports off its website using Windows Media and Real
>>> Audio formats (no streaming ogg? boo hiss). I should have thought
>>> about this before the 1st test match between England NZ at Lord's
>>> started, but the last time I followed cricket over the 'net it was
>>> on my WinXP music studio machine.
>>>
>>> I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3 on Hardy Heron. How do I get to hear
>>> either/both of these formats in the browser. Or failing that, how
>>> do I get to hear them in a standalone player. I presume I need to
>>> install the codecs. I can d/l Real Player 8 for Linux and take a
>>> stab at that, or play the stream inside my Virtualbox WinXp setup,
>>> but I really rather not do either of those things if there's a more
>>> sensible way to solve my problem.
>> apt-get (or aptitude) install w32codecs mozplugger mplayer
>> mozilla-mplayer
>>
>> The above all on one line.
>>
>> This should work. It is how I did it on Gutsy/FF2 and I can still get
>> the BBC streams after updating to Hardy/FF3
>>
>> Regards, John
>
> You're a prince, John. I'll do that right now, and hopefully I'll get
> to hear some TMS feed tomorrow morning, assuming there's no more rain
> stopped play that is! I'm in the states, BTW, so getting to hear TMS
> over the 'net is a very special "ain't technology great!?!" treat.

aptitude install did it for me. Thanks.
NP: Eng vs NZ on TMS over the internet