Old 05-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Magnus Runesson

Default Gmail pop

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 07:17 -0700, Carl Spitzer wrote:
> Strange problem no access to pop3 Gmail in 7.04 from Evolution.
> Pop3 does work in another distro along with all other pop accounts,
> hotpop, lavabit, myrealbox, keepandbeararms, bluebottle and the ISP.
>
> It works at home in SuSE but not the library in Feisty.
>
> What is different with Gmail ?

I am not quite shore I understand. Does pop3 work with gmail on other
distros for you?

If not, you need to activate pop in the gmail settings at
http://gmail.com.

Regards,
/Magnus

--
http://theworldofapenguin.blogspot.com

Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
James Gray

Carl Spitzer wrote:
> Strange problem no access to pop3 Gmail in 7.04 from Evolution.
> Pop3 does work in another distro along with all other pop accounts,
> hotpop, lavabit, myrealbox, keepandbeararms, bluebottle and the ISP.
>
> It works at home in SuSE but not the library in Feisty.
>
> What is different with Gmail ?

Maybe your library is blocking access to TCP/110 (POP3)? What happens
if you type "telnet <ip-for-gmail-pop> 110" (without the "")? If it
times out or you get a connection refused, your library doesn't want you
accessing it. If you get a welcome banner, you're connected and there
is a configuration problem in Evolution.

Cheers,

James

Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Peter Garrett

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 08:53:01AM +1000, James Gray wrote:
> Carl Spitzer wrote:
> > Strange problem no access to pop3 Gmail in 7.04 from Evolution.
> > Pop3 does work in another distro along with all other pop accounts,
> > hotpop, lavabit, myrealbox, keepandbeararms, bluebottle and the ISP.
> >
> > It works at home in SuSE but not the library in Feisty.
> >
> > What is different with Gmail ?
>
> Maybe your library is blocking access to TCP/110 (POP3)? What happens

Gmail pop uses "pops" on port 995 , not pop3 on 110.

When configuring to use a mail client with enabled pop gmail, you need
to be careful about setting the right ports - for pop, imap or indeed
smtp via gmail.

gmail smtp is on port 587 , pops on 995 and imaps on 993

Hope this helps, etc.

Peter