Old 05-17-2008, 05:14 PM
Default User

Default unusual Update Manager update offering

Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates. The
list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,

libtotem-plparser10

the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen this
happen before. I did,

sudo find / libtotem-plparse*

which found no such file on my system. But Totem 2.22.1 does appear to
be installed on my system. So,

1) Why is this update not "checked", and

2) Should I just do the other updates as usual and ignore this one, or
check the update to do it also, or do something else?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 PM
ssc1478

On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:14:33 -0500
Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates.
> The list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
>
> libtotem-plparser10
>
> the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen
> this happen before. I did,
>
> sudo find / libtotem-plparse*
>
> which found no such file on my system. But Totem 2.22.1 does appear
> to be installed on my system. So,
>
> 1) Why is this update not "checked", and
>
> 2) Should I just do the other updates as usual and ignore this one, or
> check the update to do it also, or do something else?

I got the samething. I tried checking it, and it wouldn't allow me to
check it. I have libtotem-plparser10 2.22.2-0ubuntu1 installed. In
Synaptic package manager, it shows there is an update available to
2.22.3-0ubuntu1. But the Apply button is grayed out.

Phil

Old 05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Aaron

ssc1478 wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:14:33 -0500
> Default User <xyzzyx@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates.
>> The list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
>>
>> libtotem-plparser10
>>
>> the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen
>> this happen before. I did,
>>
>> sudo find / libtotem-plparse*
>>
>> which found no such file on my system. But Totem 2.22.1 does appear
>> to be installed on my system. So,
>>
>> 1) Why is this update not "checked", and
>>
>> 2) Should I just do the other updates as usual and ignore this one, or
>> check the update to do it also, or do something else?
>>

> I got the samething. I tried checking it, and it wouldn't allow me to
> check it. I have libtotem-plparser10 2.22.2-0ubuntu1 installed. In
> Synaptic package manager, it shows there is an update available to
> 2.22.3-0ubuntu1. But the Apply button is grayed out.
>
> Phil

I had this as well. It seems to install now.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 17 May 2008 12:14:33 -0500

> Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates. The
> list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
>
> libtotem-plparser10
>
> the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen this
> happen before.

This happened here too. Don't panic

>I did,
>
> sudo find / libtotem-plparse*
>
> which found no such file on my system. But Totem 2.22.1 does appear to
> be installed on my system. So,
>
> 1) Why is this update not "checked", and

This is a guess, but I think one possible explanation is that a problem
was discovered with that package, and it has been temporarily "stopped".

> 2) Should I just do the other updates as usual and ignore this one, or
> check the update to do it also, or do something else?

I just did the other updates... nothing seems to be broken as a result

I suspect that the package will reappear without the greyed-out check box,
and be downloaded and installed on the next update, or soon anyway,
assuming that my guess above is correct. This has been known to happen
before when a particular package was discovered to have a problem, and is
usually fixed pretty promptly.

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net

Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Vincent Trouilliez

> > Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates.
> > The list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
> >
> > libtotem-plparser10
> >
> > the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen
> > this happen before.

Had the same problem ealier today.. but I ran update-manager manually 2
minutes ago, and they have already fixed the problem (see change log for
that package), all updates now install as they should.

--
Vince

Old 05-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Nils Kassube

Default User wrote:
> Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates. The
> list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
>
> libtotem-plparser10
>
> the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen
> this happen before. I did,
>
> sudo find / libtotem-plparse*

First, better avoid using sudo if it isn't needed. The relevant
directories for your search are all word readable.

Second, the syntax of your command is wrong. Use this instead:

find / -name libtotem-plparse*

You will probably find the files in /usr/lib.

> 1) Why is this update not "checked", and

I think the update conflicts with other packages which can't be used with
the new version but only with the installed version.

> 2) Should I just do the other updates as usual and ignore this one, or
> check the update to do it also, or do something else?

I would update the other packages. Probably there will be a fix for the
problematic package within a few days. Maybe you should file a bug at
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/>.

Nils

Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 PM

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 19:51 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Default User wrote:
> > Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates. The
> > list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
> >
> > libtotem-plparser10
> >
> > the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen
> > this happen before. I did,
> >
> > sudo find / libtotem-plparse*
>
> First, better avoid using sudo if it isn't needed. The relevant
> directories for your search are all word readable.
>
> Second, the syntax of your command is wrong. Use this instead:
>
> find / -name libtotem-plparse*
>
> You will probably find the files in /usr/lib.
>
> > 1) Why is this update not "checked", and
>
> I think the update conflicts with other packages which can't be used with
> the new version but only with the installed version.
>
> > 2) Should I just do the other updates as usual and ignore this one, or
> > check the update to do it also, or do something else?
>
> I would update the other packages. Probably there will be a fix for the
> problematic package within a few days. Maybe you should file a bug at
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/>.
>

> Nils

Thanks to all for the replies.

I did indeed leave "-name" out of

find / -name libtotem-plparse*

and wonder why I get no results found. Yes, I do feel stupid. BTW, why
"" at the end of the filename argument, and not just ""? What does the
"" do?

I normally use "sudo" with "find" because when I don't, I get a very
long list of directories not searched, each with a "permission denied"
error message. If you don't know where a file should be, or even if it
exists, (which is why you are using "find"), how can you do a full
search without using sudo? And what are the security risks of using
"sudo find", especially on a local filesystem?

PS - I did the other 7 updates; seemed to go okay. Update Manager is
telling me the system is "up-to-date", but it still shows
libtotem-plparser10 in the recommended updates window, but the check
button still won't allow it to be selected. FWIW, Synaptic says that
libtotem-plparser10, "version 2.22.2-0ubuntu1 (hardy)" is
"Installed(upgradeable)", priority: optional; and that the latest
available version is "2.22.3-0ubuntu1 (hardy-updates)".

Old 05-17-2008, 07:01 PM

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 19:47 +0200, Vincent Trouilliez wrote:
> > > Update Manager just popped up with the latest list of new updates.
> > > The list shows 8 total updates. But for one of these,
> > >
> > > libtotem-plparser10
> > >
> > > the "check" button in front of it was unchecked. I have never seen
> > > this happen before.
>
> Had the same problem ealier today.. but I ran update-manager manually 2
> minutes ago, and they have already fixed the problem (see change log for
> that package), all updates now install as they should.
>
> --
> Vince

No sooner did I post the last message, then Update Manager offers
libtotem-plparser10 2.22.3-0ubuntu2.

(Grrr . . .)

Anyway, installed okay.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Nils Kassube

> find / -name libtotem-plparse*
>
> and wonder why I get no results found. Yes, I do feel stupid. BTW,
> why "" at the end of the filename argument, and not just ""? What
> does the "" do?

The "" is needed because otherwise the shell would expand any filenames
which match the wildcard pattern "libtotem-plparse*" in your current
directory. If there is no such file, it isn't needed. However if there is
such a file, you will not get the expected result. As an alternative you
could use quotes.

> I normally use "sudo" with "find" because when I don't, I get a very
> long list of directories not searched, each with a "permission denied"
> error message.

You can avoid the error messages like this:

find / -name libtotem-plparse* 2>/dev/null

> If you don't know where a file should be, or even if it
> exists, (which is why you are using "find"), how can you do a full
> search without using sudo?

Granted, if you really have to search in every directory, sudo may be
necessary. But nearly every file installed from Ubuntu packages are in
world readable directories.

> And what are the security risks of using
> "sudo find", especially on a local filesystem?

The risk is damaging your system because find is a possibly dangerous
command (e.g. with the -delete option), especially if you get the syntax
wrong.

Nils

Old 05-17-2008, 07:50 PM

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 21:30 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Default User wrote:
> > find / -name libtotem-plparse*
> >
> > and wonder why I get no results found. Yes, I do feel stupid. BTW,
> > why "" at the end of the filename argument, and not just ""? What
> > does the "" do?
>
> The "" is needed because otherwise the shell would expand any filenames
> which match the wildcard pattern "libtotem-plparse*" in your current
> directory. If there is no such file, it isn't needed. However if there is
> such a file, you will not get the expected result. As an alternative you
> could use quotes.
>
> > I normally use "sudo" with "find" because when I don't, I get a very
> > long list of directories not searched, each with a "permission denied"
> > error message.
>
> You can avoid the error messages like this:
>
> find / -name libtotem-plparse* 2>/dev/null
>
> > If you don't know where a file should be, or even if it
> > exists, (which is why you are using "find"), how can you do a full
> > search without using sudo?
>
> Granted, if you really have to search in every directory, sudo may be
> necessary. But nearly every file installed from Ubuntu packages are in
> world readable directories.
>
> > And what are the security risks of using
> > "sudo find", especially on a local filesystem?
>
> The risk is damaging your system because find is a possibly dangerous
> command (e.g. with the -delete option), especially if you get the syntax
> wrong.
>

> Nils

Thanks for the feedback! It is appreciated.