Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Michael Darling

Default Dual Booting

Hi,
I have just installed Ubuntu 8.4 on a machine with two hard drives. The first (drive C is Windows XP. I installed Ubuntu onto a 250GB drive (F: in windows) and all seemed to go well. I was expecting GRUB to be installed automatically to allow me to choose the OS to boot into, however the machine starts as it always did, ie. going straight into XP with no mention of Ubuntu.
Have I got to install GRUB manually, and if so how, or have I done something else wrong?
Many thanks for any help.
Mike

Old 05-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Daniel Dalton

On Sat, 17 May 2008, Michael Darling wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just installed Ubuntu 8.4 on a machine with two hard drives. The first (drive C is Windows XP. I installed Ubuntu onto a 250GB drive (F: in windows) and all seemed to go well. I was expecting GRUB to be installed automatically to allow me to choose the OS to boot into, however the machine starts as it always did, ie. going straight into XP with no mention of Ubuntu.
> Have I got to install GRUB manually, and if so how, or have I done something else wrong?

It should really detect your setup and write to the mbr and let you dual
boot.
By any chance is the ubuntu hard drive the second one in the computer?
Perhaps grub must be on hda or sda not hdb or sdb for it to work?
If you boot the livecd and run:
ls /dev/sd*
and
ls /dev/hd*
What do you see?
Note: if you get several partitions as out put, don't bother pasting all
of them...
We are just trying to find out how your drives are ordered, but I don't
even know if that will help you.

--
Daniel Dalton

http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/
<daniel.dalton@iinet.net.au>

Old 05-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sat, 2008-05-17 at 19:00 +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Perhaps grub must be on hda or sda not hdb or sdb for it to work?

To directly [1] use grub for dual-booting, it must be in the Master Boot
Record (MBR), since the BIOS gives control to the MBR when it is done.
This is, indeed, what should happen by default.

Maybe this is helpful for the OP:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

[1] It is also possible to install grub to another disk and leave the
Windows boot manager in the MBR. Then one can use the Windows boot
manager to hand over control to grub. But this setup needs some manual
steps and I'd recommend it only if, for some reason, one does not want
to change the Windows partition at all, not even the MBR.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Rashkae

Michael Darling wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just installed Ubuntu 8.4 on a machine with two hard drives. The first (drive C is Windows XP. I installed Ubuntu onto a 250GB drive (F: in windows) and all seemed to go well. I was expecting GRUB to be installed automatically to allow me to choose the OS to boot into, however the machine starts as it always did, ie. going straight into XP with no mention of Ubuntu.
> Have I got to install GRUB manually, and if so how, or have I done something else wrong?
> Many thanks for any help.
> Mike

Quite possibly, the Ubuntu Install cd did not know which of your two
hard drives your computer boots from.. This is especially problematic if
you have mix SATA and IDE.

Try configuring your BIOS to boot from your other hard drive and see if
Ubuntu installed itself properly there. If that works, then you can
configure grub to boot Windows off the other drive as well (or it might
even already be set up that way.)

This would be an ideal setup, as you would have a grub install one one
HD and a pure windows on the other, which you can switch to right from
the BIOS.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Karl Larsen

Rashkae wrote:
> Michael Darling wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have just installed Ubuntu 8.4 on a machine with two hard drives. The first (drive C is Windows XP. I installed Ubuntu onto a 250GB drive (F: in windows) and all seemed to go well. I was expecting GRUB to be installed automatically to allow me to choose the OS to boot into, however the machine starts as it always did, ie. going straight into XP with no mention of Ubuntu.
>> Have I got to install GRUB manually, and if so how, or have I done something else wrong?
>> Many thanks for any help.
>> Mike
>>

> Quite possibly, the Ubuntu Install cd did not know which of your two
> hard drives your computer boots from.. This is especially problematic if
> you have mix SATA and IDE.
>
> Try configuring your BIOS to boot from your other hard drive and see if
> Ubuntu installed itself properly there. If that works, then you can
> configure grub to boot Windows off the other drive as well (or it might
> even already be set up that way.)
>
> This would be an ideal setup, as you would have a grub install one one
> HD and a pure windows on the other, which you can switch to right from
> the BIOS.

The exact difference between a boot by grub and by the Windows
loader is zero. So why maintain a bios switch?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-17-2008, 12:03 PM
"Alan Milnes"

2008/5/17 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
> The exact difference between a boot by grub and by the Windows
> loader is zero.

Not true. If you delete the Linux partitions nothing will boot until
you restore the Windows mbr.

Alan

Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Rashkae

Alan Milnes wrote:
> 2008/5/17 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>> The exact difference between a boot by grub and by the Windows
>> loader is zero.
>
> Not true. If you delete the Linux partitions nothing will boot until
> you restore the Windows mbr.
>
> Alan

Or if you ever have to do a Windows repair and it blows away grub,
leaving linux non-functional until you recover from a recoery cd.

When I have multiples drives, I always install Windows on it's own
drive, then linux+grub on another. Grub can always boot the Windows
drive, but Windows need never even know it's not in it's own little world.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Karl Larsen

Alan Milnes wrote:
> 2008/5/17 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:
>
>> The exact difference between a boot by grub and by the Windows
>> loader is zero.
>>

> Not true. If you delete the Linux partitions nothing will boot until
> you restore the Windows mbr.
>
> Alan

Of course. And if the hard disk crashes NOTHING WORKS! Also
restoring the windows boot in the mbr is trivial.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Gary Carr

Karl Larsen wrote:

Alan Milnes wrote:

2008/5/17 Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com>:

The exact difference between a boot by grub and by the Windows
loader is zero.

Not true. If you delete the Linux partitions nothing will boot until
you restore the Windows mbr.

Alan

Of course. And if the hard disk crashes NOTHING WORKS! Also
restoring the windows boot in the mbr is trivial.

Karl

How do you restore the windows boot in the mbr?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Cliff

I am new to Ubuntu.

After watching this thread, it looks as if I managed to do something
right.
I have Ubuntu running on two machines ... Both are running Windows XP
Pro and Ubuntu 8.04.

#1 machine is a Compaq Presario.
1.5 GiB ram
2.7 GhZ Intell Celeron CPU
Drive 0 is (200 GiB) partitioned as:
C: 50 GiB (approx)
E: 50 GiB (approx)
F: 100 GiB (approx)
Drive 1 is one big partition which is:
D: 200 GiB

Here is what I did:
New folder in > My Documents > Ubuntu. In the Ubuntu folder, I
down loaded > ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso AND Wubi-8.04.exe. From
that folder, I ran the program
Wubi-8.04.exe. Ubuntu has been installed on logical drive F.

#2 machine is home rolled.
Mother board: PC Chips A13G V 3.0
2 GiB Ram dual ddr 2
2.2 GhZ Athelon CPU
Drive 0 is (320 GiB) partitioned as:
C: ; D: and E: at approx 100 GiB respectively.

Again, as above with folders, this time Ubuntu is installed on logical
drive E. I also burned
the ISO image to a CD.

With that CD, I ran Ubuntu on 2 older machines that are way slow. 350
MhZ CPU. The drive was
only 3 GiB. It ran flawlessly, even off the CD. I did have to down
load the "proprietary" drivers
for the displays, which was no problem.

I notice that while looking through the files on the drives that
Ubuntu is installed on, there is a
program to un-install Ubuntu.

My next step is to see if I can revive my old Toshiba lap top which
keeps giving me the error of:
"This is the wrong CD for this machine.". It just will not accept the
CD that came with the lap top.

I am/will be looking at "Wine" as I have some programs that are built
around Window$

Hope this helps someone and I have this in the right place. Or if
someone has any suggestions, I
am more than willing to listen & learn.

Thank you Team Ubuntu

Cliff